Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: March 15, 2017)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Nothing Can Be Taken for Granted

'Poet of the Wrong Generation' by Lonnie Ostrow shines a light on the inner workings of the music world. From a dream of stardom to a life of success, Johnny Elias' life deals with and attempts to conquer relationship troubles, deceit, bad press, and what, at times, seems certain defeat.

Johnny's relationship with the girl he considers his true love, Meg, is the catalyst for much of what happens in the story. As irony would have it, without her domineering mother and Meg's penchant for giving in to her mother's wishes despite the knowledge that it is entirely the wrong choice, Johnny becomes the musical star of his generation. The fact that Katherine Price feels she had a hand in this leads to much of the conflict in the novel, as she feels his limited and inconsequential upbringing are not nearly good enough for her well-bred and upstanding daughter. Johnny's indomitable nature help him move past the agony of losing Meg, as he pours his heart and soul into the lyrics that make up his bestselling, chart-topping hits. However, he never truly feels as though he has gotten over Meg, and she feels the same, despite getting into a relationship with another man, basically at her mother's behest.

Katherine Price may mean well in her own self-serving way, but that is just what it is - self-serving. She never takes into account Meg's feelings about losing Johnny to her (Katherine's) own selfish whims, and even when Katherine tries to make it right, her own pride and ego keep her far away from taking the high road. It is not only Katherine's determination to keep them apart that keeps the plot progressing, as Johnny and Meg find themselves in different places in their lives no matter when they try to reconnect - even as friends.

Even though parts of the novel were interesting and furthered the storyline, much of the writing seemed unnecessary, providing details about the lives of the characters that added more length than substance to the characters and their respective issues and dilemmas. The plot was interesting overall, and the twists and turns believable, but the length often overshadowed enjoyment of the story, as the novel seemed to take forever to read in its entirety.

'Poet of the Wrong Generation' teaches that nothing can ever be taken for granted, as everything has the potential for change, from stability, to relationships, to career, and so much more. Life is a constant struggle, and Lonnie Ostrow proves this time and again as Johnny, Meg, their friends, and their family all work to make their lives better while struggling to hold on to the comforts of the past.

Good Points
The twists and turns, mostly at the hands of Meg's mother, Katherine Price, helped the plot progress nicely at times.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Mother Cary's Butter Knife (Shadows & Light)
The smallest of three brothers, Keenan Mowat had a priceless...

0.0 (0)
A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars
Did you know that the earth is covered in three...

0.0 (0)
Three Sides of A Heart: Stories About Love Triangles
You may think you know the love triangle, but...

0.0 (0)
The November Girl
I am Anda, and the lake is my mother....

0.0 (0)
Approximately Yours (North Pole, Minnesota)
Danny Garland is so out of Holly’s league. And...

0.0 (0)
A Penny Lost
Penelope Grace, usually forgotten under the shadow of her...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Eveline
Sixteen-year-old Ivy Higgins is the only student at Carmel...

5.0 (2)
Good and Gone
When Lexi Green’s older brother, Charlie, starts plotting a...

0.0 (0)
Glow
When thrift-store aficionado Julie discovers a series of antique paintings...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Secrets
After an abrupt move across the country to San Francisco,...

0.0 (0)
Somebody's Baby
Ever since Sloan won a reality singing competition, her music...

0.0 (0)
White Rabbit
Caleb Roehrig, author of Last Seen Leaving, delivers another spellbinding...

0.0 (0)
The Temptation of Adam
Adam Hawthorne is fine. Yeah, his mother left, his...

0.0 (0)
Undiscovered Country
In the aftermath of her mother's death, Cat recklessly...

0.0 (0)
Frazzled: Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes
Things are looking up for Abbie Wu: this year...

0.0 (0)
Apex (Hunter Series #3)
Being a member of the Elite Hunter Command imperils...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Emerge: The Awakening (Book 1)

"I was hooked from the first page an unwilling to put this book down. Its an innovative and unique story..."

"Fifteen-year-old Allie isn't exactly a social butterfly, but then her parents move every few months and for some reason, people..."
Emerge: The Edge (Book 1.5)

"Once I read Emerge: The Awakening, I had to read more about these unique characters. There were so many questions..."

"I want to start off by saying that I usually don't like prequels. They are usually boring because they start..."

"Emerge: The Awakening is an impressive story by Melissa A. Craven and I can't wait to read the second book...."

"In Emerge: The Awakening, we meet Allie, a diminutive teenage girl with fiery red hair and a snarky attitude. She..."

"This story reminded me a lot of a superhero origins story... it has that same feel of an ordinary person..."

"By now, we know Allie pretty well. We know the events that led her to her awakening and how this..."

"Wow, what an entertaining read! Allie and Aidan have had very different upbringings but have always lived with a..."

"I absolutely love this book and cant wait to read more!"

"I had one quibble only. Though we were given many explanations for Lex making her choice of love-interest, I kept..."

"I couldn't put it down! Allie is an excellent strong female character, and I'm excited to see how she develops..."

"This is self published? No way. I wouldn't believe it if the author hadn't sent me a copy. It in..."

"Emerge – The Awakening by Melissa A. Craven is a novel that follows the life of Alexis Carmichael, a girl..."

N/A
"I'm not going to rate my own book because I'm biased and that wouldn't be fair to potential readers looking..."

"Emerge, The Awakening – is an inspiring story about a young girl who works very hard at the attempt of..."

"I totally judge a book by its cover so this one sucked me in right away. At a glance it..."

"I read a lot of indie books and I usually overlook the weaker parts and give the writer props for..."

AmyAmy
"I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is well written and holds your attention. I would definitely recommend it..."

"Emerge, The Awakening is a pleasant change in the young adult genre, not only is Allie Carmichael a strong female..."