Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: January 11, 2017)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A Thriller With A Great Setting, and Intriguing Characters

The setting of this book did not disappoint. I could envision this part of Africa in my mind--although I don't believe the actual city the author chose is real, but still. It was like a part of it was with me while I read.

This one was in fact, a thrilling read, but by the end of it, I didn't feel strongly about the book one way or the other. The saving grace was the characters.

They were complex, layered, and written in such a way--that I was intrigued and entertained by their story.

Tiny Girl was this resilient, bad a** African girl, with all the strength of someone older, and the power of someone far beyond her reach. I really liked the fact that she was this dark-skinned, fearless tiny thing. I liked watching her develop, and I felt some inexplicable connection to her character. Her relentless pursuit of justice, and her fierce protection of her younger sister, made her easy to like.

Boy Boy--was flashy and not a boy of many words, but a presence that was felt thoroughly. I liked that Tiny Girl had him as a friend.

I also, (which is going to sound weird) liked the inclusion of the gang, The Goondas. It really gave a realness to the land, and to the story itself. It gave it another level of depth. It was really interesting to see how the gang played apart in both the development of the story, and Tiny Girl, aka Christina.

I'll briefly mention Michael, although his role is sort of important to the story. His character was interesting, but I didn't get to learn much about him, just the surface things. In a way it wasn't necessary but would have been nice to know. I liked the inclusion of his character, but felt if he wasn't included, nothing would have been lost. (Sounds kind of crazy, now that I'm writing it.)

All in all it was a good read, that had strong points, but like I said just felt, "okay," by the end. That's not to say it's not worth reading. It is, just don't expect to be blown away. I mean with comparisons to Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which I've read and loved, and The Girl On The Train, which I plan to read--it definitely puts this book on a pedestal I'm not sure it belongs or needs to be on.

Recommended for readers who enjoy a whodunit type of novel--with a great setting to boot.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account