Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

An Eerie but Beautiful Trip to the Isle of Man

Fear the Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh is a captivating tale that plunges its readers into some of the dark secrets found in the deep blue sea. Mixed with myths, romance, and a peculiar kind of magic, readers will surely find themselves flipping pages—and dreading the end.

What I Liked:

One of my favorite things about this book is the setting. I wasn't entirely familiar with the Isle of Man and now I am absolutely in love with it. Sarah Glenn Marsh gives us a view of how it was around the 1900s and the experience felt so real—almost as if I stepped inside its pages! The mystery, the witchcraft, its inhabitants, and everything else are well written and I wish this book would have been a bit longer just to explore more of this luscious landscape.

This book also has a great cast of characters, but my favorite, hands down, is Morag, the "witch" of the Isle. This character is mysterious and on first sight, the type you would want to stay far away from. However, Morag is a person who has dealt and seen a lot in all her years, and deep down, the kind of grandma anyone would want to have in their lives (though I'm pretty sure she would not be fond to be classified as such). I love this character so much and I hope to read more from her one day!

The main character, Bridey, is also a favorite, along with Fynn (the mysterious boy who washes up to shore), and Bridey's family. I write about them together (as one) since they all have a great relationship with each other, something that is at times hard to come by.

Last but not least, the whole myth and folklore mixed with witchcraft. It's an unusual combination and one that works magnificently in this novel. Nothing short of bewitching!

What left me wanting more:

While I love Bridey and Fynn together, I feel that their romantic moments aren't as magical and wondrous as I wanted them to be. Usually, the build-up to a relationship is what gets the magic going, but things between Bridey and Fynn happen quite fast, there isn't truly enough time to start wishing for things—like their first kiss—before it's already happening. Since I'm a huge fan of build-ups, this saddened me a bit.

Final Verdict:

Fear the Drowning Deep is the debut novel of Sarah Glenn Marsh and one you definitely want to have on your TBR! It's dark, hypnotizing, and one that will have you wondering about the mysteries of the deep.

Good Points
Beautiful setting description and great use of myths/folklore of the Isle of Man.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Enhanced
Seventeen-year-old Mana has found and rescued her mother, but her...

0.0 (0)
Max Tilt: Fire the Depths
When thirteen-year-old Max Tilt happens upon his great-great-great-grandfather Jules Verne's...

0.0 (0)
Lucy & Andy Neanderthal: The Stone Cold Age (Lucy and Andy Neanderthal)
Neanderthal siblings Lucy and Andy are back to their paleo...

0.0 (0)
The Knowing
Samara is one of the Knowing, and the Knowing...

0.0 (0)
Monster (Gone #7)
It’s been four years since a meteor hit Perdido...

0.0 (0)
Slider
David can eat an entire sixteen-inch pepperoni pizza in...

0.0 (0)
Genuine Fraud
The story of a young woman whose diabolical smarts...

0.0 (0)
Expelled
A secret Twitter account An anonymous photo Everyone is...

0.0 (0)
Three Sides of A Heart: Stories About Love Triangles
You may think you know the love triangle, but you've...

0.0 (0)
Everything You Need to Know About NIGHTMARES! and How to Defeat Them: The Nightmares! Handbook
A handbook for beating nightmares from the New York Times...

0.0 (0)
Code 7: Cracking the Code for an Epic Life
Life at Flint Hill Elementary School may seem normal, but...

0.0 (0)
Rebel's Blade
War. Secrets. Betrayal. Katniss meets Lord of the Rings...

0.0 (0)
Confidentially Yours #6: Vanessa's Design Dilemma
In the sixth installment of the series that readers of...

0.0 (0)
Fly Guy's Big Family (Fly Guy #17)
In the latest installment of Tedd Arnold's New York Times...

0.0 (0)
Luna and the Lost Shell (Fairy Hill #2)
Fairy Hill is a magic forest where fairies live, play,...

0.0 (0)
Ruby and the Magic Garden (Fairy Hill #1)
Fairy Hill is a magic forest where fairies live, play,...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Genuine Fraud

"This is my first book by E. Lockhart and boy did it stress me out! Told in reverse, I flipped..."
The Darkest Corners

"THE DARKEST CORNERS is full of suspense and is a thriller that makes your heart race. Tessa was hoping to..."
What To Say Next

"A must read for all teens!!!"
The Maze Runner

"Nice story that unfolds really fast, and in an interesting way. I enjoyed this first part to the trilogy...."
One of Us is Lying

"Pitched as The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars, this book immediately got into my radar. The Breakfast Club us..."
One of Us is Lying

"I am still reeling from the perfection that was this book. One of Us is Lying is a refreshing..."
One of Us is Lying

"I am still reeling from the perfection that was this book. One of Us is Lying is a refreshing..."
The Go-Between

"Camilla’s mother is a famous Mexican telenovela actress. After her secret of taking anti-depressives is leaked to the media, her..."
The Football Girl

"An amazing book with appealing characters."
The Football Girl

"Tessa is a great athlete-- she runs in a local race with her friends Marina and Lexie and wins first..."
The Maze Runner

"The Maze Runner is the first novel in a series set in a dark post-apocalyptic world. Our central character..."
The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #6)

"This was a great series with very interesting characters. Sophie and Josh Newman are two special twins that are thrust..."
The Weight of Zero

"Catherine has bipolar disease. While the manic side is no picnic, Cath knows the biggest danger is Zero, the deep,..."
Five Days of Famous

"Nick Dashaway is a self-described brainiac who hangs out with his uber-geeky friends at school and fails to successfully navigate..."
Tell Me Three Things

"When I read this book, I held it and thought about how amazing this was. It has that feeling were..."
Girl in the Picture

"WHAT I LIKED: It was pretty okay overall. The plot was a little cliche but it delivered well. Although..."
Dead Girls Society

"WOW. Buckle up readers and get ready for a wild ride of dares and mystery! Dead Girls Society is THE..."
And I Darken

"I can't describe how intriguing I found AND I DARKEN to be. From what I've heard, it is not dissimilar..."
Unforgiven (Fallen #5)

"4.3 out of 5 stars! Finally a novel all about Cam and his love, Lilith. I was wondering if there..."
The Stars Never Rise

"What worked: This is an unique twist on the whole post-apocalyptic world only in this case the church rules with..."