Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: August 21, 2016)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Loved the Idea of this book.

I think there were many side tangents that were not important to the story and just didn’t seem to fit (and quite frankly distracted me from the main point of the novel). They just seemed to be thrown into the story (i.e. the war in Iraq, the sexual abuse, the one incident where Leonard was crying, the choking incident, shoplifting, etc). I also was disappointed with the ending. It almost seemed as if the ending of the book was missing .

I did notice on good reads that ‘Absolute Brightness’ was previously released as a much longer book with a different cover titled ‘The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey’. So I imagine the edition I read maybe a reedited edition.
If this novel was structured differently, I really think this would be an amazing book. I was torn between giving it three and a half or four stars but ended up giving it four, because of the amazing character development.
Karen-Thebookreturn.com

Good Points
Leonard Pelkey is central character of ‘Absolute Brightness’. Leonard is a gay fourteen year old boy who is sent to live with his cousins and newly divorced aunt. Leonard is a larger than life character who doesn’t care what anyone thinks of him. A main example of this is when Leonard makes his signature rainbow high tops by glueing together several pairs of flip-flops.

Phoebe, who is the younger of Leonard’s cousins, tells the story from her point of view. Phoebe, in true teenager fashion, is initially annoyed by Leonard’s presence but she and Leonard soon become close friends.
Leonard also endears himself to the community of elderly clients that come to his aunts home hair salon. So when Leonard suddenly goes missing, the whole town of Neptune, New Jersey is devastated.

The premise of ‘Absolute Brightness’ is both beautiful and heartbreaking. I did love the main outline of the story and Leonard as a character was amazing.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Just For Clicks
Mommy blogs are great . . . unless the blog...

0.0 (0)
i am Elephant, i am Butterfly
When sixteen-year-old Simone Wheeler is accepted into the elite Camp...

0.0 (0)
Mike
MEET FLOYD. He's a tennis star. Possibly good enough to...

0.0 (0)
Unconventional Warfare (Special Forces, Book 1)
Discover the secret missions behind America's greatest conflicts.Danny Manion has...

0.0 (0)
Again, But Better
Shane has been doing college all wrong. Pre-med, stellar grades,...

0.0 (0)
The Summer of '69
With his girlfriend, Robin, away in Canada,...

0.0 (0)
Stick Cat: Two Cats and a Baby (#4)
Now that their owners are married, Stick Cat and his...

0.0 (0)
Waking Nightmare (Hello Neighbor #2)
It's been four months since Nicky Roth has seen his...

0.0 (0)
The Once and Future Geek (The Camelot Code #1)
When young Arthur of Camelot accidentally time-travels to the 21st...

0.0 (0)
Lumberjanes: The Good Egg (Lumberjanes #3)
Welcome to Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet’s Camp for...

0.0 (0)
A Good Kind of Trouble
Twelve-year-old Shayla is allergic to trouble. All she wants to...

0.0 (0)
It Wasn't Me
THE BREAKFAST CLUB meets middle school with...

0.0 (0)
Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Start a Club by Accident (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat #2)
Sassy and Waldo love school! Everything smells like meat and...

0.0 (0)
Bird and Squirrel All Tangled Up
When Red has to go spend the night helping Grandmole,...

0.0 (0)
How to Defeat a Wizard (Marty Pants #3)
Marty Pants returns to face his archenemy Simon, the so-called...

0.0 (0)
Sweeping Up the Heart
Amelia Albright dreams about going to Florida for spring break...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Go Ask Alice

N/A
"Well this book is actually more for younger teens I read it when I was 13. And I liked it..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Erin Hughes   Go Ask Alice is a book like no other. No one knows who wrote..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Jillian R Summary: Go Ask Alice is about a teenage girl, suffering from drug addiction. With her..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Ruthie This is such a haunting book because it was a girls actual diary. This isn't someÂ..."
Annie's Baby: The Diary of Anonymous, A Pregnant Teenager

"Reader reviewed by Ruthie I really love these books. Told from true accounts of teenagers they're real and heart-breaking. Annie..."

"Reader reviewed by f00lishchick i think this was a sad book because of the difficulties that annie goes through. what..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Sierra Goodman This was a great book about addictions. It actually helped me through some of my..."
It Happened to Nancy

"Reader reviewed by Lorrissa Simon This book is amazing, i was really into it, and the girl is my age!..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Taylor Freeman This book is a very quick read. It is about a girl who goes on..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Ash   This book was touching and heart wrenching. Have you ever been in the center..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by moonymaster Warning: SPOILERS ALERT  GOD.. I REALLY HATED THIS BOOK. When I first had finished it I..."

"Reader reviewed by Nikki This book was amazing. I thought it was a great read for anyone in the teen..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Chay i have read this book many, many times before. And i love it each time i..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Alex11181992 Follow alice on a journey through pain and addictionAs a fellow teenager i could relate to..."

"Reader reviewed by Jenna I love this book! It has a very powerful meaning to it. People should read this..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Chantel This book is quite literally a life changing book, it gives you the inside look at..."

"Reader reviewed by Beans I just got this book about 2 days ago. I am about half way threw it..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Sara E. I got this book thinking is was non-fiction and a real diary of some girl..."
It Happened to Nancy

"Reader reviewed by elisabeth I read this book shortly after it was published in 1994. It has stayed with..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by undercover reader It starts with a dangerous party game where she receives a LSD soft drink. From..."