Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Orange: The Complete Collection 1

I'm a firm believer that manga and graphic novels are perfect for reluctant readers. I know as that's what helped my son discover the magic of books.

What worked: First off, I loved the premise of this manga novel that has a teen receive a letter from her future self. In that letter it warns her to watch out for the new transfer kid. Naho at first thinks her friends are pranking her but when events from the letter come true? She starts to wonder about the mysterious boy and what she can do to help with his fate.

One thing I need to mention is this is a manga book and you have to read it Japanese style which is right to left. Other that that, this book has all the angst of high school life only add to that an apparent time-traveling element. Naho is at first skeptical of the mysterious letter and then when events start happening, just like the letter warned? She doesn't know what to do. Should she try to intercede? And if she does what will the consequences be later on down the line.

Kakeru is the transfer student who seems standoffish at first and then almost too happy. No one really knows his story only that something tragic happened to his mother. Naho doesn't know how to address that issue without coming across as too forward. How Takano shows the doubts, struggles of Naho are very real. She doesn't just jump in and try to solve the problem without serious doubts.

There is chemistry between Kakeru and Naho right at the start. The shyness and awkwardness is there too. Neither one knows how to reach out to the other without fear of breaking up a growing friendship with Naho's group.

Add to that the drama of the Mean girl and the awkwardness of trying to help someone who already has a girlfriend.

The illustrations add to the story line. I like how they show the emotions and reactions of each character in the story. This is the first collection that follows the school year. The second collection continues the story.

What would you do if your future self tried to warn you about the fate of a friend? Time traveling elements with romance make this a must read for fans of Manga and graphic novels. ORANGE won't disappoint.

Good Points
1. Intriguing premise of a teen that receives a letter from her future self
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Teeth of the Gods
Chained to an enemy general. Determined to be free....

0.0 (0)
The Vampire Trick (Dark World: The Vampire Wish 3)
In a kingdom full of secrets, no one can...

0.0 (0)
I Am Alfonso Jones
Alfonso Jones can't wait to play the role of...

0.0 (0)
Unearthed
From the New York Times best-selling author duo Amie...

0.0 (0)
The Boyfriend Agreement
Fake boyfriends are hard work. When 16-year-old Bella’s dream...

0.0 (0)
You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone
Eighteen-year-old twins Adina and Tovah have little in common...

0.0 (0)
Believarexic
Asking for help is only the first step. ...

0.0 (0)
Graveyard Shakes
Katia and Victoria are sisters and scholarship students at a...

0.0 (0)
This Tiny Perfect World
The big-hearted story of a small-town girl who discovers how...

0.0 (0)
The Last to Let Go
A twisted tragedy leaves Brooke and her siblings on their...

0.0 (0)
Pretty Dead Girls
Beautiful. Perfect. Dead. In the...

0.0 (0)
By a Charm and a Curse
A kiss is never just a kiss. ...

0.0 (0)
Naondel (The Red Abbey Chronicles #2)
Booklist called Maresi “utterly satisfying and completely different from standard...

0.0 (0)
Blood Water Paint
Her mother died when she was twelve, and suddenly Artemisia...

0.0 (0)
Chausiku Nightmare of the Clans Book One
There are six secret clans across the world–Africa (Sakombi clan),...

0.0 (0)
Roar of the Thunder Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #8)
Pick a book. Grow a Reader! ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Fault In Our Stars

"I remember the film coming out and I was quite curious to see what it was about but I wanted..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"It's easy to see why this became such a hyped up popular novel. It was very well written and the..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"I have read this book so many times I just may have it memorized. I LOVED this book and the..."
The Fault In Our Stars

AshAsh
"Captivating. Heartfelt. Heart warming...and most of all, REAL. And also a bit scary. But not scary in the way you..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"At first I thought it was going to be a boring book. But as i got into it more it..."
Just One Year (Just One Day #2)

"To say the only thing I thought about was reading this book wouldn’t be a lie. I couldn’t stop thinking..."
Just One Day (Just One Day #1)

"And I finally did it. It took me more than a year since I bought the book to actually read..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"This book is amazing, but there are some things that don't make sense. It is a tear-jerking novel about two..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"Originally posted on Goodreads. Actual rating: 0.5 I read this book because my cousin made me. She really likes..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"I first read the Fault in Our Stars back in 2012, when I'd just gotten into the whole John and..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"Wow. I was impressed when I read it, almost to the point of tears. The characters are well developed, and..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"All last year I felt guilty for not having read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. How could..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"When I first heard about this book I was like oh God not another sad story about a kid with..."
Atlantia

"This book was in one word AMAZING possibly one of the best books I've read! This book shocked me from..."
Isla and the Happily Ever After

" This book. This book was... absolutely fantastic. The third book in the standalone series,..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"I really enjoyed this book, but probably not as much as other people obsess about it. It was a sweet..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"Around this time last year I went to WHSmith and picked up a copy of The Fault In Our Stars..."
Atlantia

"Characters & Relationships: Despite Rio, our main character being a mermaid and having such a powerful voice she sure as..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"In The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, he builds a story out of darkness and despair. He takes..."
Just One Year (Just One Day #2)

"It's not often that when I finish a book I need the sequel immediately. Normally I can be (relatively) patent..."