Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Paranormal Story

You want to know something? I'm never reading before bed. Because after reading this book, I saw shadows crawling up my wall and quickly turned on the lights. Obviously, it was nothing, but my nerves were so anxious and it took me a while to fall asleep. Never am I reading a story before bed (and I assure you all that this promise will be broken asap), especially not a ghost story (and this is a lie, because I have another ghost story on my to-reads list).

Let's dig into this book.

It's another ghost story from supernatural/paranormal author and extraordinaire, Katie Alender. I have loved many of her works, and I think this one proves to be my favorite from her. It seems that she gets better every passing year. I thought FAMOUS LAST WORDS was really good until I read this one. (The same thing happened to BAD GIRLS DON'T DIE.) And oh, boy, I was really in for a ride. A horror story. And it was awesome.

Delia is a strong-headed girl, who is flawed but also relatable. Was. Is. It doesn't matter. Anyway, she is trapped in a state of ghostly life and there are others like her. Other girls who are just as strong and possesses nerves of steel and never will never become the conventional girl. Furiously protective of her sister and newfound friends, she must defeat an evil spirit while being dead herself and she is awesome. And I have to mention once again the great group of (ghost) girls standing with her.

The plot is fast-paced. From the very start, it begins with a big bang. Or rather, a big death from falling. (Delia's death, to be specific.) She learns the ropes of being a ghost, and the years go by until her sister one day returns to the house. And that is when disaster strikes all over again, because the house is now targeting her baby sister. Delia has to stop it, and it's a dramatic and heartstopping (and scary) fight. I absolutely love it (and I find myself unable to sleep at night because of the darkness of the night; I blame Katie Alender for that).

The ending is stellar, and it seals up the loose ends quite nicely, leaving me satisfied. Though I would love more of each character (but especially more scenes of Delia and her sister), it's a good way of wrapping things up and leaving hope for not just the characters but also the readers.

Overall, THE DEAD GIRLS OF HYSTERIA HALL is the greatest paranormal novel from Katie Alender yet. Action-packed, spooky, and fun. I can't wait to see her top this one.

Rating: Four out of Five

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Werewolf Queen
I always wished I had supernatural powers. Now I wish...

0.0 (0)
Unicorns Are Real! (Mythical Creatures Are Real!)
Stardust and glitter and rainbows, oh my! Did you know...

0.0 (0)
This Is Not a Love Scene
Lights, camera―all Maeve needs is action. But at eighteen, a...

0.0 (0)
Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc
Bestselling author David Elliott explores how Joan of Arc...

0.0 (0)
Dragons Are Real! (Mythical Creatures Are Real!)
Moonlight and courage and sparks, oh my! That's what dragons...

0.0 (0)
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe
Who do you become when you have nothing left...

0.0 (0)
Leaving Jackson Wolf
Passing through the transition hallway at South Park High...

0.0 (0)
Once & Future (Once & Future, #1)
King Arthur as you've never imagined! This bold, sizzling...

0.0 (0)
Tuned Into You
A summer party is the last place Lydia Flowers...

0.0 (0)
Beware the Night (Beware the Night, #1)
When her world divides, pitting light against dark, Veda...

0.0 (0)
controlfreak_wordart (wecompress.com).png
He actually gets the girl in this story. His perfect...

0.0 (0)
The Soul of Power (The Waking Land, #3)
One young woman learns the true nature of power—both her...

0.0 (0)
Oath Taker
Light magic is forbidden. Dark magic spells death....

0.0 (0)
Twisted Saga Collection 1
Save almost 40% off the price of the single books...

0.0 (0)
The Sin Soldiers Cover
Red compound makes them angry. Yellow exhausts them. Blue drives...

0.0 (0)
Hunter's Truce
The Big Bad Wolf never killed for fun—he was on...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Internment

"Seventeen-year-old Layla Amin and her family live in fear after reporting that they were Muslim on a Census record. Because..."
This Is Not a Love Scene

"THIS IS NOT A LOVE SCENE follows Maeve, who lives her life in a wheelchair due to a form of..."
The Soul of Power (The Waking Land, #3)

"THE SOUL OF POWER is a strong conclusion in The Waking Land trilogy. While the first book focused on Elanna..."
Skyward

"Sanderson raises the YA sci-fi quality bar in this high-flying story of human survival, friendship, legacy, loss, and confronting enormous..."
The Afterward

"It's been a year since a team of knights, a mage, and a thief defeated a great evil. Hope sprung..."
The Lost Coast

"THE LOST COAST is lyrical, ethereal, and deliciously haunting. Danny has moved to Northern California with her mother, to a..."
We Rule the Night

"WE RULE THE NIGHT is an engaging YA fantasy that takes place in a world at war. Revna works in..."
Internment

"This book absolutely wrecked me. INTERNMENT is a YA contextual dystopian that takes place in the near future. Extrapolating from..."
The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe

"THE LAST VOYAGE OF POE BLYTHE is a fascinating YA fantasy/dystopian that is even better than Condie's Matched series. The..."
Night Music

"NIGHT MUSIC is a beautiful YA coming-of-age/romance that brings classical music front and center. Ruby Chertok is the youngest of..."
Cogheart

"COGHEART by Peter Bunzl is a thrilling adventure that blends a historical setting with futuristic elements. The author hints his..."
The Cruel Prince

"Having only read one book of Holly's I wasn't caught up in the hype of her writing a new YA..."
Through the White Wood

"THROUGH THE WHITE WOOD follows Katya, a young woman who has a power of ice and is feared by many...."
Bloodleaf (The Bloodleaf Trilogy, #1)

"BLOODLEAF is a new favorite. This YA fantasy is completely engrossing, thrilling, and absolutely amazing. Aurelia is princess of Renalt..."
Beware the Night (Beware the Night, #1)

"BEWARE THE NIGHT was an intriguing YA fantasy that follows Veda, a seventeen-year-old Basso who lives on the island of..."
Fat Angie: Rebel Girl Revolution

"Angie is about to start sophomore year, and she's miserable. She made it through 9th grade on her second go,..."
The Girl with the Broken Heart

"THE GIRL WITH THE BROKEN HEART is Lurlene McDaniel’s latest YA contemporary novel. The story follows Kenzie as she throws..."
Three Dark Crowns

" The dark YA fantasy tale of a brutal matriarchy, and its vicious method of choosing its rulers. ..."
Where She Fell

"Eliza is an aspiring geologist and self-professed 'nerd'. Even though she feels like the odd one out, Eliza tries hard..."
Once & Future (Once & Future, #1)

"Capetta and McCarthy have crafted a fantastic novel weaving the legend of King Arthur with the majesty of space in..."