Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Even Better than the First!

An excellent 2nd book in The Mapmakers Trilogy; I loved this one even more than the first book.

In The Golden Specific, S.E Grove builds a more intricate storyline. Sophia is still searching for her parents but there is an added twist. The book catches you up on what has happened since The Glass Sentence and builds upon it. We learn more about Theo, Sophia , and her family. It makes you fall in love with the characters even more.

S.E Grove does a fantastic job at building more suspense into the storyline of The Mapmakers. Grove keeps you turning pages. There are secrets and deception behind every corner while silently unweaving clues to the big mystery.

Theo and Sophia aren’t working as closely in this second installment and are both consumed by different adventures. It is how these adventures connect that’s important. The storylines flip back and forth between the two characters but I found this added to the suspense in the story.

What I loved best- like in the first book the world building and the characters. The main characters are fleshed out even more in this second book. They feel like they could be the person sitting right next to you. There also seems to be something new about the world at every turn. The setting never gets boring and feels like it is a character within itself.

The Golden Specific is a must read and I am definitely preordering the final book as soon as I can. This is a great trilogy for readers of all ages. Fun and entertaining I am going to be very sad when I have to say goodbye to these characters.

Good Points
Awesome world building
Page turner
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Whispers of Shadow & Flame (Earthsinger, #2)
The Mantle that separates the kingdoms of Elsira and Lagrimar...

0.0 (0)
Plague of Death Anchoress Series Book Two
Her light protects her world. But to defeat an...

0.0 (0)
The Kingdom
Welcome to the Kingdom… where "Happily Ever After" isn’t...

0.0 (0)
Stepsister
Isabelle should be blissfully happy - she's about to...

0.0 (0)
Merbaby's Lullaby
Hush, foam rocker, sleep, wave breaker. ...

0.0 (0)
Mage's Apprentice
Vampires. Shifters. Fae. Mages. This ain’t the New York...

0.0 (0)
Bright Burning Stars
Best friends Marine Duval and Kate Sanders have trained...

0.0 (0)
Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
Raised among the ruins of a conquered mountain nation, Maren...

0.0 (0)
The Voice in my Head
For Indigo Phillips, life has always been about basking...

0.0 (0)
The Virtue of Sin
Miriam lives in New Jerusalem, a haven in the desert...

0.0 (0)
Tin
Tin
In an alternative England of the 1930s where the laws...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Girl
Nadia is haunted by World War II. Her memories of...

0.0 (0)
The Iliad
More than three thousand years ago, two armies faced each...

0.0 (0)
A Light Amongst Shadows
James Spencer is hardly the typical troubled youth who ends...

0.0 (0)
the orphan fixed.jpg
Sometimes the ones who save us are the ones we...

0.0 (0)
Astrid the Unstoppable
Pippi Longstocking meets Heidi meets Anne Shirley in this tale...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Because of the Rabbit

"Emma's father is a game warden, and when she accompanies him on a rabbit rescue, she falls in love with..."
Where the Heart Is

"Rachel's summer is not off to a good start; her parents don't remember her 13th birthday right away, and new..."
Stick Cat: Two Cats and a Baby (#4)

"Life is good for Stick Cat and Edith now that their owners Goose and Tiffany have married. Stick Cat enjoys..."
The Sloth Who Slowed Us Down

"Amy's family rushes for everything. "They walked fast, drove fast, shopped fast, and ate fast." This upsets Amy because there..."
They Say Blue

"Breathtaking is the only way to describe this book. Intricately detailed, beautifully colored artwork takes the reader through a journey..."
Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School

"Waldo and Sassy are hard working dogs who scour the floor for meatballs and keep their humans' house safe from..."
The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl

"Lucy Callahan was struck by lightning at age 8 and became a math genius as a result. Her diagnosis is..."
How to Be a Supervillain: Born to Be Good (#2)

"How to Be a Supervillain: Born to Be Good turned out to be such a fun read! It's about a..."
Marge in Charge and the Stolen Treasure (#2)

"Jemima and her little brother Jakey are being bedeviled by their baby cousin, Zara. Their Aunt Sally claims that her..."
Super Sweet Dreams (Puppy Princess #2)

"In this sequel to Party Time, Princess Rosie finds out that her best friend (and cat-in-waiting) Cleo's birthday is coming..."
How to Be a Supervillain: Born to Be Good (#2)

"Victor Spoil is back after defeating Dr. Deplorable in How to Be a Supervillian. He's still struggling with wanting to..."
The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl

"Lucy lives with her supportive grandmother, and frequently sees her uncle, who is young, fun, and a bit misguided. Lucy..."
The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street

"The Vanderbeekers family of five children, parents, dog and rabbit have lived on two floors in a brownstone in Harlem...."
Happy Halloween, Stinky Face

"HAPPY HALLOWEEN, STINKY FACE is an adorable Halloween story about a little boy who has all sorts of questions for..."