Review Detail

Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A Can't Miss Adventure

I am a big fan of history and looking at old maps. I love the epic trilogies that include the origins of the land and map out the settings. I also love alternative universe and history storylines. This debut novel from S.E. Grove brings together everything! The Glass Sentence, the first book in The Mapmakers Trilogy, takes place in a very unique world where all the different continents were thrown into different time periods.

In this new alternative world, exploration and cartography is key. S.E Grove does an amazing job in making this world seem both possible and imaginative. The world building in this trilogy is amazing. The entire plot centers on the importance of mapmaking. These maps hold the key to figuring out each world and what actually happened during the Great Disruption. The world is like ours, but not exactly. Things have shifted and changed. Some for the better, and some for the worst.

What I loved best: Everything about this book screams, “Don’t put me down, wait till you turn the page.” The plot is filled with unexpected twists and turns. Sophia Tims is a spunky heroine who has her own ideas and her own insecurities. Her parents mysteriously disappeared and she now is hoping her uncle will help her find them. But once her uncle disappears she must trust a new friend Theo to help her. But things aren’t always what they seem and sometimes people can be trusted and sometimes they can’t.

What makes this book stand out is the fact that even minor characters are memorable and have some depth. There are characters you love to get to know better and some that can physically make your skin crawl. They add to the mystery and keep you turning pages.

Kids, teens, and adults will all love this book. There are some light moments and times when the storyline gets dark. S.E. Grove has written a book that plunges you into a fantastic world that feels both familiar and intriguing at the same time. I was so glad to have the second book to pick up. I definitely am not ready to say goodbye to these characters. Fans of the epic hero/heroine and history lovers will find a dear friend in The Glass Sentence and The Mapmaker Trilogy.

Good Points
Alternative History
Lovable characters
Unique premise
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account