Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Mix of fun and heartfelt read

This is one of my most anticipated books to read this year and I’m so happy I got the chance to read this early. I started reading this book out in public, while waiting on the queue. Despite the weird looks, people give me because I sometimes laugh to myself while reading this, I still pushed through and read. Of course between being bored to death and amused with my nose buried in a book, I’ll totally choose the latter.

Like the first book, Model Misfit brought hilarity, humor, drama and romance. In this book, Harriet signs on to a modeling project with Yuka Ito in Tokyo, where she spent her summer vacation in order to get away from home, thinking she couldn’t fit it with the new baby coming.

I dove into the book without knowing anything. When I requested this book from Edelweiss, I didn’t even read the synopsis. I just knew that I’m going to get a great reading experience because a.) it’s written by Holly Smale and b.) It’s Geek Girl!

I was really sad when I learned that Nick and Harriet broke up. I love them so much together, they’re so adorable! I think they’re the most adorable teen couples ever. Throughout most of the book, Harriet was heartbroken, the fun thing was, as much as one would expect a book with 15 year-olds as a couple who broke up would go waaaaayy too whiny and immature, this one is NOT and I LOVE IT. Plus, their chemistry was much more explored in this book and it has blossomed in a way that makes me clutch to my chest because of FEELS.

I love the additional characters in the book! Aside from the Nat, Harriet’s BFF; Toby, Harriet’s stalker who had an amazing character arc here by the way; and Alexa, the not-really-an-antagonist-but-enjoys-bullying-Harriet-and-friends, the book introduced more amazing characters.

Rin was one of Harriet’s flatmate in Japan and she’s super adorable! She even calls Harriet as Harry-chan. *heart eyes*. She was written so well. I like to think Holly Smale has a knack for writing super adorable characters. I love her character so much! Poppy was their other housemate. She’s this beautiful model, who worked with Nick in one project. Like Harriet, I did feel a little threatened by her character and it’s written so well too!!

Bunty, Harriet’s Step-Grandmum, I guess was the cherry on top. She’s really awesome and funny and cool! One of the main topics discussed in this book is family. I love the Manners so much, especially Harriet’s dad. What I love more is the fact that family was the main concept of the book, like how will Harriet fit in the family when Annabel finally gives birth to the baby. It was such an experience reading the development of their relationships with each other, it has gone deeper and I think the strings have been knotted tightly.

Overall, this book was a mix of fun and heartfelt read. It was amazing to witness Harriet’s growth as a person. If you haven’t read this series yet, I suggest you do.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars
Did you know that the earth is covered in three...

0.0 (0)
Three Sides of A Heart: Stories About Love Triangles
You may think you know the love triangle, but...

0.0 (0)
The November Girl
I am Anda, and the lake is my mother....

0.0 (0)
Approximately Yours (North Pole, Minnesota)
Danny Garland is so out of Holly’s league. And...

0.0 (0)
A Penny Lost
Penelope Grace, usually forgotten under the shadow of her...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Eveline
Sixteen-year-old Ivy Higgins is the only student at Carmel...

5.0 (2)
Good and Gone
When Lexi Green’s older brother, Charlie, starts plotting a...

0.0 (0)
Glow
When thrift-store aficionado Julie discovers a series of antique paintings...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Secrets
After an abrupt move across the country to San Francisco,...

0.0 (0)
Somebody's Baby
Ever since Sloan won a reality singing competition, her music...

0.0 (0)
White Rabbit
Caleb Roehrig, author of Last Seen Leaving, delivers another spellbinding...

0.0 (0)
The Temptation of Adam
Adam Hawthorne is fine. Yeah, his mother left, his...

0.0 (0)
Undiscovered Country
In the aftermath of her mother's death, Cat recklessly...

0.0 (0)
Frazzled: Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes
Things are looking up for Abbie Wu: this year...

0.0 (0)
Apex (Hunter Series #3)
Being a member of the Elite Hunter Command imperils...

0.0 (0)
The Emerald Circus
Where is Wendy? Leading a labor strike against the...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Light Years

" Thank you so much Simon Pulse and the FFBC for providing me with a e-arc for review. In compliance..."
When Dimple Met Rishi

"When Dimple Met Rishi was on my most anticipated list for this year. One of the things I love about..."
Light Years

"A dystopian-leaning mid-apocalyptic YA with a pandemic premise and a code savvy heroine. The book takes place in a..."
The Museum of Heartbreak

"I really relate to this book very much. Most especially with Pen. This book was so honest. Many symbolisms but..."
Want

"This book is stellar! Truthfully, I came across this book blindly. I don't have a lot of information about..."
Blacksouls

" I did find some of the descriptions of ‘Teach’ and ‘Anne’ and ‘Cara’ and ‘Coyle’ a little sanctimonious..."
The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones

"The first book in the world famous The Mortal Instruments series the City of Bones definitely lives up the hype...."
Alex, Approximately

"What I Loved: Seeing as Bailey and her online friend Alex met and bonded over movies, it’s fitting each chapter..."
Confessions of a High School Disaster

"'Confessions of a High School Disaster: Chloe Snow's Diary' by Emma Chastain had its moments. Main character Chloe is starting..."
We Are The Ants

"We Are the Ants follows Henry Denton in the worst year of his life. His mother is struggling to keep..."
Violent Ends

"VIOLENT ENDS by Shaun David Hutchinson and 17 other authors is a young adult contemporary fiction, standalone novel. I..."

"The Deathday Letter by Shaun David Hutchinson is a young adult standalone novel. This is not the first book by..."
Want

"Jason Zhou lives in a futuristic society in Taipei, Taiwan, where pollution is everywhere. This affects not only the air..."
Diary of a Haunting

"Paige's life is turned upside down when her mother makes them move from California to Idaho. Her wanted a new..."
The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones

"I first read this series years ago before the third one had even come out and I loved them! They..."
City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)

"This one picks up just a bit after City of Bones. Jace is pinning for Clary and she for him...."
Let the Wind Rise (Sky Fall #3)

"4.4 stars! Awesome series! Filled with a lot of action and an interesting plot. I really enjoyed the first book..."
The Odds of Lightning

"THE ODDS OF LIGHTNING by Jocelyn Davies is a fun coming of age story as told by four different protagonists,..."
We Knew It Was You (Strange Truth, #1)

"We Knew It Was You is a quirky mystery with characters that are both the worst and the best at..."
Shade

"3.5 Stars This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca/2016/12/shade-by-jeri-smith-ready.html Aura was born after the Shift, which..."