Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Oh How It Feels So Real

Like so many books on my TBR pile, I wanted to read Will Grayson, Will Grayson co-written by John Green and David Levithan for a long time. And now that I have, I can't believe I waited so long!

This book was fun and fabulous and filled with love, life, and heartbreak. The fun of the book started with trying to identify which Will Grayson belonged to which author and it turns out my guesses were right (though I won't reveal it here in case any of you want to figure it out for yourselves). And from there, the greatness continued!

Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a book about exactly that: one Will Grayson and then another. While they're not twins or even relatives, they do share a name. Green handles the point of view of one Grayson and Levithan the other. The way they deliver the stories of these two boys is interesting in both their lives but the actual narration as well. The first Will Grayson follows the typical rules of writing while the second's story is told in sentences that never have capitals. It creates a very stream of consciousness type narrative that juxtaposes the first and stands alone. With a book like this with a complicated story woven between main characters, it is necessary that the two characters be different and the style of writing accomplishes just that!

This might be one of my favorite John Green books and that's really saying something because I really really like The Fault in Our Stars and I really love Looking for Alaska. But the best thing about this book is that it's not just limited to one great author, but two! It made this a near perfect read!

The characters in this book felt real, filled with flaws, and vulnerabilities, and unique humor that made me laugh out loud. I think my favorite relationship was between the first Will Grayson and his best friend, Tiny Cooper, because it felt like a unique yet authentic friendship and I loved it! But even in all the things that made me happy, I still felt so sad when this was over because I didn't want it to end. And just like life, there were one or two broken hearts within these pages as well.

One of my favorite quotes came from this certain kind of heartbreak. I couldn't believe it when I saw that "maybe there's something you're afraid to say, or someone you're afraid to love, or somewhere you're afraid to go. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna hurt because it matters." I love this quote. I've seen it before, foolishly thinking I'd missed it in Paper Towns or in the other books I'd read because I've liked this on Goodreads and reposted it other places. My heart felt so full when I saw this on the page. And it felt just as full when I finished reading this entire beautiful story.

If you're looking for something to pull you out of your PTFIOSS (Post Traumatic Fault in Our Stars Syndrome), pick up this book today! Because who hasn't fallen into a kind of book slump after finishing John Green's book? For those of you who've already found your way to this book, you can now find David Levithan's companion story that follows Tiny Cooper. Hold Me Closer is out now!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Flash: The Secret Files of Barry Allen: The Ultimate Guide to the Hit TV Show
My name is Barry Allen. You probably know me as...

0.0 (0)
An Assassin's Guide to Love & Treason
When Lady Katherine's father is killed for being an illegally...

0.0 (0)
The Blood Spell
Blue de la Cour has her life planned: hide the...

0.0 (0)
Ogre Enchanted
In this prequel to Ella Enchanted, which can stand on...

0.0 (0)
Home and Away
Tasia Quirk is young, Black, and fabulous. She's a senior,...

0.0 (0)
Mirage
In a star system dominated by the brutal Vathek empire,...

0.0 (0)
Dactyl Hill Squad
It's 1863 and dinosaurs roam the streets of New York...

0.0 (0)
Onyx and Ivory
They call her Traitor Kate. It’s a title Kate Brighton...

0.0 (0)
Beyond a Darkened Shore
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war. Ciara,...

0.0 (0)
People several generations ago talk about what they were doing...

5.0 (1)
The Storm Runner
Zane has always enjoyed exploring the dormant volcano near his...

0.0 (0)
Mother Tongue
On the day she brings her sweet little sister,...

0.0 (0)
After being scarred by an unimaginable lie, Erik commits...

0.0 (0)
My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life
"I'm here to take you to live with your...

0.0 (0)
safe_image.jpeg
Twins raised far from the darkness are the key...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Mermaids
A HOT EX-BOYFRIEND, A DETERMINED SWIM STAR, AND A...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Frozen Hearts

"I've never quite read a book like this before. The story: Iona was never meant to live a life..."
Marked

N/A
"A teenager attempts to find a cure for a deadly, civilization-threatening virus in debut author Baker’s dystopian YA series starter...."
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)

"The story: Leaf and Oaklee live in a medieval style, self-sustaining, community within a biodome called New Eden. Cut off..."
Watcher

"The story: Sawyer is an orphaned girl who lives in a world not unlike that of the Terminator movies,..."
Colliding Skies

N/A
""Brilliant pacing, sizzling romance, and a storyline I absolutely devoured!" Victoria Scott, author of Fire and Flood."
Gamemaster (The Biodome Chronicles #3)

LizLiz
"DISCLAIMER: I am a member of the Advance Reader team for this book! This review is only for the ARC..."
Soraya: A Wielders of Arantha Prequel

"This story starts with Sahria and several other girls captured to be sold as slaves. Sahria becomes like a mentor..."
Seventeen

"I loved this novel, I liked the way it was written and it had me hooked. The plot flowed smoothly..."
Soraya: A Wielders of Arantha Prequel

"SORAYA is a prequel that introduces the reader to how the all-female Ixtrayu tribe came to be. After reading PAWNS,..."
Queens (The Wielders of Arantha Book 2)

"QUEENS picks up right where PAWNS left off . The message Maeve received from her husband in the first book..."
Pawns (The Wielders of Arantha)

"Maeve and her son Davin find themselves stuck on a primitive planet that holds secrets they'll soon uncover. In PAWNS,..."
Seventeen

"I enjoyed the fact that this story was set in Australia. I liked the characters and enjoyed seeing them face..."
Acceptance The Jewel Trilogy Book one

"What I Liked: This was amazing! This is easily one of the best books I have read this year...."
ALEX HUNT and the Chase for Rhapta

"When Alex's dad goes missing, she is the only one who can find him because she's also the only one..."
Chausiku Nightmare of the Clans Book One

"This book definitely feels like a YA book. It honestly in cases felt like it was over explaining the obvious,..."
Transitions: Novella Collection (The Biodome Chronicles #2.5)

LizLiz
"Wow, this collection was AWESOME! This collection of novellas takes place between the second and the not-yet-released (AHH!) third..."
Elements (The Biodome Chronicles #2)

LizLiz
"I could not put this book down. It was just as good as Legacy (the first book), if not better!..."

LizLiz
"I enjoyed this book so much! The world-building and setting of this story was very highly detailed and I felt..."

"Writing: 4.5 Story: 5 Character Development: 4.5 Cover: 5 Editing: 4.5 This book is a rare gem. You know,..."

"I went into this book with a pretty vague idea of what it was about-a sci-fi novel revolving around a..."