Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Letters to the Living

Reading Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira was a somewhat strange experience. I knew from the start that this book would probably make me cry. And I was right. But not for the reasons I thought. To start back at the beginning, let me just say that I really loved this book. It reminded me so much of The Perks of Being a Wallflower. But it wasn't the letters or even certain events that made me think about Perks, but rather, it was the way this book seemed to break me in half, shattering me, and then putting me back together again.

I suppose the thing about being put back together, as I'm sure Laurel could explain too, is that when the glue dries, you realize you've become slightly different from the previous version of you. That's how I felt waking up the day after finishing this; eyes still tired, heart still broken over the book I'd finished the night before. I felt like I was different for having read those words, which is truly special.

I've never lost anyone in the way that Laurel loses her sister, May. But I think we all can agree that losing people, whether to death or life is just as painful. And this book is really about the living. It is through a bunch of letters written to people who are dead that Laurel is brought back to life.

This epistolary novel reveals the heart and soul of human nature in a way that feels authentic. The prose is permeated with beautiful, lyrical lines that whisper about the amazing power of one word after another after another; creating magic. Laurel talks about this kind of magic. Sometimes it makes her sad. And sometimes it makes me sad to think that we all have the power to create magic, but not the ability to see it when we should.

Reading about those who have passed on recreates them and Dellaira gives us a way to see Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse and even Heath Ledger again. She helps us remember that people are memories and that if we hold on to them they will never really be gone. And that's magic too. Remembering is a gift.

Whether or not you've experienced a loss like Laurel's, this book is just as wonderful! Sometimes we need stories to help us understand life and this is one of those stories. So pick up a copy of Love Letters to the Dead today!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Flash: The Secret Files of Barry Allen: The Ultimate Guide to the Hit TV Show
My name is Barry Allen. You probably know me as...

0.0 (0)
An Assassin's Guide to Love & Treason
When Lady Katherine's father is killed for being an illegally...

0.0 (0)
The Blood Spell
Blue de la Cour has her life planned: hide the...

0.0 (0)
Ogre Enchanted
In this prequel to Ella Enchanted, which can stand on...

0.0 (0)
Home and Away
Tasia Quirk is young, Black, and fabulous. She's a senior,...

0.0 (0)
Mirage
In a star system dominated by the brutal Vathek empire,...

0.0 (0)
Dactyl Hill Squad
It's 1863 and dinosaurs roam the streets of New York...

0.0 (0)
Onyx and Ivory
They call her Traitor Kate. It’s a title Kate Brighton...

0.0 (0)
Beyond a Darkened Shore
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war. Ciara,...

0.0 (0)
People several generations ago talk about what they were doing...

5.0 (1)
The Storm Runner
Zane has always enjoyed exploring the dormant volcano near his...

0.0 (0)
Mother Tongue
On the day she brings her sweet little sister,...

0.0 (0)
After being scarred by an unimaginable lie, Erik commits...

0.0 (0)
My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life
"I'm here to take you to live with your...

0.0 (0)
safe_image.jpeg
Twins raised far from the darkness are the key...

0.0 (0)
Chasing Mermaids
A HOT EX-BOYFRIEND, A DETERMINED SWIM STAR, AND A...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Bud, Not Buddy

"Bud not Buddy is awesome! im in year 9 and im reading it in school for an assignment. On the..."
The Cheerleaders

"Writing reviews for Kara Thomas’s books proved to be a great challenge for me, so I’ll try my very best..."
Genuine Fraud

"Interesting, quick read. You're held a bit at a distance because of the nature of this narrator, but it's worth..."
One of Us is Lying

"WHAT I LOVED: One of Us Is Lying presents us with a remarkably strong base for the mystery to come:..."
Antisocial

"WHAT I LOVED: I’ve always tried to be my best self online, but even I’m terrified at the idea of..."
Strange New World

"Dahlia 16 just found out her whole life is a lie and that she's not a clone after all...."
Brave New Girl

"All Dahlia 16 knows is that she's just one of five thousand identical girls that's sole purpose is to work..."
Freshmen

"Luke and Phoebe both attended the same high school and now are at the same university. Phoebe has had..."
Finding Audrey

"I think this is one of Kinsella's finest books. There is so much heart, struggle, and soul to this book...."
Dead Girls Society

"Hope is smothered by her mother and limited by her Cystic Fibrosis, desperate to get out and be a normal..."
What To Say Next

"I had fun meeting both David and Kit and I cannot wait to get the chance to re-read the book..."
Tell Me Three Things

"It all began with an email from SN offering guidance to our heroine Jessie Holmes in navigating the jungle that..."
The Beauty That Remains

"The Beauty That Remains is a heartbreaking portrayal of loss, grief, and coping. It relates the stories of Autumn, Logan,..."
Genuine Fraud

"GENUINE FRAUD by E. Lockhart is a character-driven thriller that is told in reverse chronological order. In essence, the book..."
Somebody's Baby

"SOMEBODY’S BABY by Lurlene McDaniel is the perfect follow up to her novel LOSING GABRIEL, which I absolutely loved. I..."
Genuine Fraud

"This is my first book by E. Lockhart and boy did it stress me out! Told in reverse, I flipped..."
The Darkest Corners

"THE DARKEST CORNERS is full of suspense and is a thriller that makes your heart race. Tessa was hoping to..."
What To Say Next

"A must read for all teens!!!"
The Maze Runner

"Nice story that unfolds really fast, and in an interesting way. I enjoyed this first part to the trilogy...."
One of Us is Lying

"Pitched as The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars, this book immediately got into my radar. The Breakfast Club us..."