Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The high cost of being Pretty

I readily devoured this book in just a few hours, even sneaking off to read it right after dinner (and thereby missing the dishwashing, a win-win, in my opinion). I read a lot of books and when I say 'a lot' I mean hundreds a year. I average more than a book a day. And Scott Westerfeld's Uglies is one of the first this year to really capture my imagination as something new, intriguing, and different.

In a far off dystopian future where everyone is considered hideously ugly until they have extensive cosmetic surgery at the age of 16 and no one bothers to ever leave the cities, not everything is as rosy as the ruling leaders would like the citizens to believe. Tally Youngblood has been anxiously awaiting turning Pretty ever since her best friend turned. But in the final months before her birthday, she meets up with Shay, who isn't sure she wants to turn Pretty at all. They bond over pulling pranks, but Tally doesn't even truly consider Shay's stance until Shay disappears on their shared birthday and Tally is picked up by the evil and manipulative Dr. Cable.

The rulers-that-be threaten Tally with everlasting Ugliness if she doesn't find Shay and the community of non-Pretty rebels who live out in the wilds beyond the city. With no real choice and encouragement from her parents and friends, Tally sets off with only a cryptic note left by Shay to guide her. Against all odds she actually makes it to the Smoke, the 'city' established by the non-Prettys.

Soon Tally is torn does she activate the pendant given her by Dr. Cable and turn in the people who accepted her and took her in (especially their leader, David, who falls hard and fast for Tally and she for him) or does she give up her youthful dreams of turning Pretty and stay in the Smoke? Her love for David and a conversation with his parents about what else happens to you when you turn Pretty (which explained to me how everyone turning Pretty also turned into vacuous partygoers with no thoughts to fill their Pretty heads) decides Tally and she destroys the homing device.

That inadvertently leads to the utter destruction of the Smoke, as Dr. Cable planned for every contingency. At novel's end, there are few rebels left, Shay has turned stupid and Pretty, and David learns the truth about Tally's role in their current situation. There's a lot more than that, but I feel like I've already given enough away (though there's so much more). This is a novel to make you think about personal choice and responsibility, honor, trust, right and wrong. There's also action, drama, intrigue and love. What more could you ask for?

I recommend this novel for ages 12 and up and for readers of any age that want a thought-provoking read. Now, I'm just waiting for Pretties, the second novel, to come out.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1  

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account
MaCaila Sharp Written by MaCaila Sharp
October 27, 2014
I am so thankful for people like you who put up amazing, thorough reviews of books! I love reading reviews like this, because it gets me very interested in the book and makes me want to read it. I am always looking for new books to read. Great Job on the review!
1 results - showing 1 - 1  

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Don't Date Rosa Santos
Rosa Santos is cursed by the sea-at least, that's what...

0.0 (0)
I Got Next
It’s game day! In this action-packed picture book from Daria...

0.0 (0)
A Friend for Bently
Like all pigs, Bently loves to play in the mud,...

0.0 (0)
The Great Pumpkin Contest
Mimi and Clara are neighbors. Both cats want to win...

0.0 (0)
Save Your Friends!
This laugh-out-loud adventure encourages family sharing and is a perfect...

0.0 (0)
Dibs!
Teaching your little brother his first word —dibs —is funny....

0.0 (0)
Where Are You From?
This resonant picture book tells the story of one girl...

0.0 (0)
Out of Place
When twelve-year-old Cove Bernstein becomes the target of a school-wide...

0.0 (0)
Salvation Day
A lethal virus is awoken on an abandoned spaceship in...

0.0 (0)
The Startup Squad (The Startup Squad, #1)
Girls mean business in a brand-new middle grade series about...

0.0 (0)
A Possibility of Whales
Twelve-year-old Natalia Rose Baleine Gallagher has to move, again. ...

0.0 (0)
Peppa in Space (Peppa Pig)
Get ready for a Peppa Pig story that's out of...

0.0 (0)
The Stars We Steal
Engagement season is in the air. Eighteen-year-old Princess Leonie “Leo”...

0.0 (0)
Pete the Cat and the Itsy Bitsy Spirder
Pete the Cat’s cool adaptation of the classic children’s song...

0.0 (0)
Superlative Birds
Explore the fascinating world of superlative birds―from the bee hummingbird,...

0.0 (0)
In Another Life
Chloe was three years old when she became Chloe Holden,...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Don't Date Rosa Santos

"DON’T DATE ROSA SANTOS is a sweet and touching book about family. Rosa lives with her grandmother, and she sees..."
Not Now, Not Ever

"Lily Anderson’s sophomore novel follows Elliot "Ever" Gabaroche during an intense summer program to compete for a scholarship. It’s Not..."
A Monster Calls

"4.5 Stars This low-fantasy middle grade story is at once hefty and heartrending—despite its relative brevity and target audience..."
Salvation Day

"Zahra wants the world to know the truth about her father. She believes he wasn't to blame for the deaths..."
The Stars We Steal

"Eighteen-year-old Princess Leonie "Leo" Kolburg has a title, but not much else. She's heir to an older European spaceship.When the..."
In Another Life

"I really loved this storyline. The Story: Chloe is going through a tough time with her family. After her..."
When Summer Ends

"This book is everything. The Story: Olivia and Aiden have good lives. Olivia has a boyfriend she loves..."
Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)

"VOW OF THIEVES is a thrilling end to a wonderful spin-off YA fantasy. Although a spin-off series from the Remnant..."
The Beautiful Lost

"A first-person past-tense telling exclusively from the perspective of Maia, a depressed high school sophomore with some ambitious—if half-formed—plans for..."
Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)

"Absolutely fantastic! "Dance of Thieves" is a really wonderful YA fantasy that takes place in the world of 'The Remnant..."
10 Blind Dates

"10 BLIND DATES is the must-read romantic comedy of the fall! Sophie is staying with her grandparents and her very..."
Maybe This Time

"Sophie is bound and determined to make it out of her small Alabama town and attend design school in New..."
Brawler

"Eddie McGuire is a talented high school wrestler with a horribly short fuse. This is no doubt a result of..."
Skyjacked!

"Six students from an elite private school are returning home after a camping trip on the private plane belonging to..."
Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)

"WICKED FOX is a unique urban fantasy that uses Korean mythology to bring a mythological creature to life. Miyoung is..."
Wilder Girls

"Beware. Wilder Girls will draw you in, softy whispering tendrils creeping through your mind and thorny vines entangling your heart..."
Aurora Rising

"Now I am huge huge fan of both Jay and Amie as individuals and as co-authors. Their Illuminae series completely..."
Crown of Coral and Pearl

"CROWN OF CORAL AND PEARL Is a story of sisters, adventure, and change. Nor and Zadie, whose names mean coral..."
The Grace Year

"THE HANDMAID'S TALE meets LORD OF THE FLIES in this dark, atmospheric, and sweeping YA dystopian. Tierney James is 16-years-old,..."
The Last True Poets of the Sea

"THE LAST TRUE POETS OF THE SEA is a beautiful coming-of-age story. After her brother attempts suicide, he is sent..."