Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

British Geekdom!

Harriet is socially inept and a klutz to boot, so when her best friend Nat (who has always wanted to be a model) makes her go to a clothing show on a school trip, she is hesitant, especially when it involves a five hour bus ride with fellow geek/stalker Toby. When Toby manages to throw up on both girls, they are kitted out in soccer (football- this is a British book) uniforms and set loose on the fashion show. Harriet manages to knock over several booths and end up under a table with a very good looking boy, Nick, who works for a modeling agency. Wilbur is the scout for that agency and is taken with Harriet, wanting her to come and interview with a famous designer to be the face of her new line. Harriet's step mother is against this, but her father, a rather irresponsible guy who works in advertising, is so excited about the opportunities that he lies to his wife about taking Harriet to Moscow, and she goes off on a modeling job with Nick. There are problems at school concerning her geekiness and a mean girl there, but Nat forgives Harriet her modeling career and stands up for her.

This is a series of four books. I don't know how I missed them when they first came out.

This is an amusing geek-to-chic story that is fast paced and clean enough for middle school girls. The Louise Rennison books seem to have run their course, and there's always a subgroup who likes British books. The parents in this are quite fun, too.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Kai's summer changes when she gets a summer internship at...

4.3 (1)
Zoe is just your average teenage girl expecting another average,...

0.0 (0)
Frango & Chicken
Some things seem impossible, but with the right attitude and...

0.0 (0)
Ruby Lane
Ruby is overexcited again, and her brain is spinning creative...

0.0 (0)
Girl Gone Ghost
A gripping psychological thriller. Inspired by a...

0.0 (0)
Resist: 35 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny and Injustice
A perfect tool for young readers as they grow into...

0.0 (0)
The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
From the critically acclaimed author of Waiting for Normal and...

0.0 (0)
Side by Side A Novel of Bonnie and Clyde
Texas: 1931. It’s the height of the Great Depression, and...

0.0 (0)
Voyage of the Dogs
SOS. Ship damaged. Human crew missing. We are...

0.0 (0)
Flying in a Cage
A song tugs inside me, like a string pulling...

0.0 (0)
Shorty & Clem Blast Off!
The energetic and zany duo Shorty and Clem are back,...

0.0 (0)
Bear's Spooky Book of Hidden Things: Halloween Seek-and-Find
If you want to keep kids happily busy for hours...

0.0 (0)
Strange New World
Dahlia 16's life is a lie. The city of...

0.0 (0)
Like Never And Always
Liv Burnham thinks nobody knows Morgan Frost like she...

0.0 (0)
The Outcasts- The Blood Dagger: Volume 1
Mystical relics. Powerful vampires. Strange allies. It's hell being...

0.0 (0)
Ascent (A Peak Marcello Adventure #3)
After conquering the mountains in Afghanistan, Peak Marcello goes...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Little White Lies

"LITTLE WHITE LIES by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a novel mashup of Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars set in..."
Denis Ever After

"Denis died when he was 7, and he's getting along just fine in Port Haven--the place where souls hang out..."
Don't Look Back

""Don't Look Back" is a one-off thriller from Jennifer L. Armentrout. It begins with Samantha appearing bloody and beat up..."
FREEKS

""Freeks" is a captivating paranormal mystery. Mara has lived all her life with a circus, traveling from one place to..."
Pretty Dead Girls

""Pretty Dead Girls" was an interesting YA thriller following Penelope (Pen/Penny) in the aftermath of a death of a frenemy,..."
Wicked Charm

""Wicked Charm" is a YA instalove romance with a hint of murder-mystery. Willow has moved to the swamps where her..."
Chasing Truth (Eleanor Ames, #1)

"In "Chasing Truth," Eleanor (Ellie) Ames is running from a past she can't escape. After turning FBI informant on her..."
The Sin Eater's Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter #1)

""The Sin Eater's Daughter" takes place in the kingdom of Lormere, which is ruled by inbred royalty who are closest..."
Black Bird of the Gallows

""Black Bird of the Gallows" is a truly unique and enthralling YA paranormal romance. Angie has had a tough life...."
Lies That Bind

""Lies That Bind" is a great sequel in the Anastasia Phoenix series. While the first book had a lot of..."
Atlantis Rising

"“Atlantis Rising” was a surprising paranormal YA hit! I wasn’t sure if I would like it, but I ended up..."
Project Pandora (An Assassin Fall novel)

"“Project Pandora” is a really intense and creative YA sci-fi/thriller. We follow four teenagers who are all part of Project..."
The Hanging Girl

"“The Hanging Girl” was an intense YA thriller that was impossible to put down. Skye (Candi Skye Thorn) has had..."
Dead Girls Society

"Hope is smothered by her mother and limited by her Cystic Fibrosis, desperate to get out and be a normal..."
White Rabbit

"TW: sexual assault, rape, homophobia, descriptions of violence, murder, drug use. White Rabbit is going to be the..."
Pretty Dead Girls

"PRETTY DEAD GIRLS by Monica Murphy is a YA thriller in which all the popular senior girls at Cape Bonita..."
Ace of Shades

"When Enne's mother doesn't return home, Enne travels to the City of Sin and she's desperate to find her. It's..."
Wicked Charm

"Beau has a reputation for breaking hearts, so it isn't a surprise that Willow, the new girl, catches his eye...."
Lies That Bind

"After saving Keira, Anastasia finds herself unable to sit still. She feels like she's constantly having to keep one eye..."
The Dazzling Heights

"I really enjoyed The Thousandth Floor last year, it was one of the books that surprised me with how much..."