Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Loved It

I actually really loved this book. It was a great standalone read and I really enjoyed reading it.

First off, I loved the main character Victoria Darling. I like how she stood for what she believed in, especially towards the end of the novel. I think she was a great, strong main character that embodied what women felt when trying to get the chance to vote and become more represented in society. I loved how passionate she was about her art and how she kept trying to do it, even when obstacles got in her way - whether it was her parents, her finance, or her fiance's parents. I liked how she kept going and she was a great main character.

I liked how descriptive this book was. When I started reading it, I immediately felt like I was right there with Victoria and that was awesome. The building of the setting in the book was good and it didn't get boring or hinder the pace of the plot very much. I think the author did a great job of really transporting you to London, 1909.

I loved the story of the suffragettes. The suffragettes were a big part of this story and I liked that. I really liked learning about the suffragettes while also enjoying the story at hand. The suffragettes were actually people and it was interesting learning what they went through so they could try and secure voting rights for women. I loved the characters involved with the suffragette movement. Victoria meets people who do art for the suffragette movement and people that risk their life to be put into jail for the suffragette movement and I really liked that aspect of the book.

I really liked the romance between Victoria and William, the working class man. I thought it was sweet and nice. I liked reading about their romance slowly blossoming while they run into each other in random spots or when William becomes her muse. I thought the romance was a strong part of the book, but I am glad that the author didn't make it the central focus of the plot.

I really liked the ending. I loved how Victoria started doing things she wanted and how she stopped worrying about what her parents thought because once she did that, she was much happier and I loved that. I think the book ended very strong and smart and I really loved the ending.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Brightly Burning
Stella Ainsley leaves poverty behind when she quits her engineering...

0.0 (0)
All's Faire in Middle School
Eleven-year-old Imogene (Impy) has grown up with two parents working...

0.0 (0)
No Sad Songs
Following a family tragedy, 18-year-old Gabe LoScuda suddenly finds...

0.0 (0)
Blood Magic (Abnormals Underground #1)
Turned into a vampire at the age of two,...

0.0 (0)
The 11:11 Wish
Megan Meyers has a foolproof plan to reinvent herself...

0.0 (0)
Dragonkyn
Marc used to think he was pretty ordinary, but...

0.0 (0)
Fragile Facade (Blind Barriers Trilogy #1)
The Brightest Smiles Hide the Darkest Secrets.... When Raven...

0.0 (0)
This Tiny Perfect World
The big-hearted story of a small-town girl who discovers...

0.0 (0)
The Silver Mask
A generation ago, Constantine Madden came close to achieving what...

0.0 (0)
The Tombs
New York, 1882. A dark, forbidding city, and no place...

0.0 (0)
Children of Exile
Rosi must decide what she’s willing to risk to save...

0.0 (0)
Teeth of the Gods
Chained to an enemy general. Determined to be free....

0.0 (0)
The Vampire Trick (Dark World: The Vampire Wish 3)
In a kingdom full of secrets, no one can...

0.0 (0)
I Am Alfonso Jones
Alfonso Jones can't wait to play the role of...

0.0 (0)
Unearthed
From the New York Times best-selling author duo Amie...

0.0 (0)
The Boyfriend Agreement
Fake boyfriends are hard work. When 16-year-old Bella’s dream...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Scared Stiff: Everything You Need to Know About 50 Famous Phobias

"Who ever thought reading a book on different phobias would be fun? SCARED STIFF uses a fun approach on..."
Historical Heartthrobs: 50 Timeless Crushes—from Cleopatra to Camus

"This is a fun collection of historical public figures that asks the question--Would you date them? There's some really..."
The How-To Handbook: Shortcuts and Solutions for the Problems of Everyday Life

"This compact 'How-to' Handbook breaks down everyday life problems into six sections, making it easy to navigate and find what..."
A Girl’s Guide to Fitting in Fitness

"This is a very good and practical book for girls who want to take care of themselves better. Since I..."
Zoo Station: A Memoir

"Well-written, but I'm not sure if that is because of the author or the translator. The story was not my..."