Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Interesting Character Study

What I Liked:
Rachel DeWoskin’s Blind was a book I was curious about, but I wasn’t so sure it would be my sort of book. The blurb somehow made it sound like it would be a murder mystery, but, honestly, that’s really misleading. Blind really is not that. If you’re here for that, then you’re going to be disappointed. Actually, Blind is a rather strange book, more of a character study than anything. It’s going to be a struggle for a lot of readers, but highly pleasing for a select group. Blind is an in-depth study of what life is like for a newly blind teenager.

There’s not much plot in Blind. The only real conflict is Emma’s inner conflict. The arc is her coming to terms with her blindness and learning to accept her new self. The suicide is important to her, but it’s not action or drama really. The most dramatic bit is some friendship trouble. Otherwise, this book is very realistic on the ins and outs of her days. We call the genre realistic fiction, but usually it’s a fictional realistic. It’s all believable, but it’s the most exciting week in someone’s life or their life is just a bit more exciting than a person’s usually is or the boring bits are skipped. Blind is realistic in the minutiae. It’s mostly the boring bits, which is cool, but also slow-going and definitely going to be a hindrance to some readers.

Blind is one of those cases where I probably would have DNFed the book in print, but I enjoyed the audio. Though Annalie Gernert didn’t read with all that much emotion, her narration really fit with Emma, who is very quiet and thoughtful. Even when she gets angry, she tends to do it quietly. She’s not generally very spontaneous. This is actually a side effect of her blindness, because she’s trying really hard not to stand out. Thus, the measured reading really seemed like it WAS Emma and that brought her alive enough for me to care about the tiny details of her daily life.

Plus, it’s really fascinating to learn so many details about what it’s like to be blind. Blind definitely taught me things I hadn’t known before, especially about the differences between being born blind and becoming blind later in life. There’s a lot about how Emma learns to function so well. This is a great book for awareness of other ways of experiencing the world.

The writing was really unique. Emma perceives the world in a way that comes across almost as synesthesia. She hears sounds and imagines them as colors. Textures too. She can sometimes hear what color something is, though she’s not always right about that. I’m not sure if this is a byproduct of having once had sight or an Emma thing. It makes the narration really unique though.

What Left Me Wanting More:
The book’s main drawback, as I said, is how slow it is. You’ve got to be there for a long emotional journey. In the end, Emma comes to a really healthy place. She learns to accept her new self and gains more self-confidence than she even had before the accident that took her sight. She and her best friend come through their troubles still friends. Emma learns that she’s lovable and even makes moves to get herself a boy (or two). She bonds with her least favorite sibling in a way that’s really heart-warming. Her character arc is ultimately very worth it, if you can manage to slog through the details.

Also, there's a really sad animal death.

The Final Verdict:
Blind is most definitely worth checking out if you’re a reader who enjoys in-depth character studies or want to learn more about blindness. If you’re a plot-oriented reader, I’d advise you to steer clear.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter
Based on some of literature’s horror and science fiction classics,...

0.0 (0)
The Disappearances
What if the ordinary things in life suddenly…disappeared? ...

0.0 (0)
Everything All at Once
Lottie Reeves has always struggled with anxiety, and when her...

0.0 (0)
Lucky in Love
Maddie doesn't believe in luck. She's all about hard work...

4.2 (2)

0.0 (0)
She's So Boss
Whether you already have an idea for a business or...

0.0 (0)
Wesley James Ruined My Life
Sixteen-year-old Quinn Hardwick’s having a rough summer. Her beloved grandmother...

0.0 (0)
Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
Once upon a time, a girl skipped into the forest...

0.0 (0)
Obsidian and Stars
In the sequel to Ivory and Bone—the prehistoric fantasy...

0.0 (0)
Maybe In Paris
Keira Braidwood lands in Paris with her autistic brother,...

0.0 (0)
Revolt: Book Four of the Resistance Series
The Explosive Conclusion to the Award-Winning Resistance Series To...

0.0 (0)
16 Ways to Break A Heart
Unfolding through letters, texts, and chats, Lauren Strasnick’s smart,...

0.0 (0)
Changes in Latitudes
A "road" trip romance that takes place at sea!...

0.0 (0)
First We Were IV
A group of friends start a secret society in...

0.0 (0)
Orphan is the highly anticipated sequel in the ORB trilogy....

0.0 (0)
The World Between the Trees
Jake Hunter has disappeared without a trace and when his...

0.0 (0)
Jupiter Storm
Only a week ago Grey Alexander thought she and her...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Lucky in Love

" Maddie leads a normal teenage life. The only exception is her family's money problems. So when Maddie unexpectedly wins..."
The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter

"‘The Strange Case of the Alchemist’s Daughter’ follows, Mary Jekyll. Mary is Dr. Jekyll’s daughter (of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde)...."
The Disappearances

"WWII is in full force. Aila and Miles’ mother has just died. When their father is drafted, they have no..."
The Maze Runner

"Nice story that unfolds really fast, and in an interesting way. I enjoyed this first part to the trilogy...."
Geekerella

"I was in SDCC last weekend so I had to hold off reading. I finally got to finish reading this..."
Lucky in Love

"Everyone has asked themselves at least once, “what would you do if you won the lotto”. LUCKY IN LOVE is..."
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

"What can I say that hasn't already been said about this magnificent book? The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue..."
She's So Boss

"SHE’S SO BOSS by Stacy Kravetz is a non-fiction guide for young female entrepreneurs who are looking to start or..."
Wesley James Ruined My Life

"This was such a cutesy read! Imagine spending your summer working on a Tudor Times themed restaurant with your worst,..."
First We Were IV

"Remind me again to never read YA Thrillers at night. First We Were IV is a book that has haunted..."
They Both Die at the End

"I think we all know what to expect from a book entitled They Both Die at the End; nevertheless, reading..."
Eliza and Her Monsters

"This was one of my most anticipated spring/summer releases and it didn't disappoint. First, the cover is gorgeous. I love..."
Unbecoming

"What I Loved: Though the story is about three women–Mary the grandmother, Caroline the mother, and Katie the daughter–we get..."
Eliza and Her Monsters

"What I Loved: Eliza, secret creator of a massive webcomic, is an eighteen-year-old ball of anxieties with much more going..."
Dreamthief

"This was an excellent and captivating fantasy book! Olive Kennedy has lived half her life in the magical..."
Washed Ashore

"One confusing passage involved Willie and Mr Wallace, fisherman and harbor master. Critical piece of the plot, but I had..."
Maybe In Paris

"Keira Braidwood's whole dream is to go to Paris. She's saved for this event and has images of the French..."
It's Not Like It's a Secret

"IT’S NOT LIKE IT’S A SECRET by Misa Sugiura follows the story of Sana Kiyohara as she grapples with identity,..."
Looking for Group

"Dylan may have survived cancer, but surviving his mom is another matter. With a run-down home, his mother bored after..."
Violet Grenade

"Domino is used to living on the streets, fighting to survive alongside a friend. When circumstances take a drastic plunge..."