Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

N/A

Journey of a girl finding her way in a world without sight. Also firmly a story of family and friend

I wanted to read Blind because I am drawn to books dealing with disability or mental illness. I wanted to get inside Emma's head and find out her story.

It is pretty agonizing for her, and I can only imagine the huge change that it would make on your life. She is angry, questioning what makes life worth living and exploring those things. The details seem so realistic... How she is so overwhelmed when she first goes back to school, all of the noise, not knowing who is talking to her, the crowds and everything being so much harder for her academically. She can't read the board, or pay attention as well because noise at times is like an assault to her.

She keeps opening her eyes and being surprised when she is still in the dark. It just endears her to me. After her accident, she was screaming and refusing to do anything and I think that is so realistic. I could see that being my reaction. But it starts to change and she gets the curiosity and drive to try to get back into the game of life when she gets a K9 buddy, a dog named Spark. He loves her just the same and it is a constant for her. He isn't a seeing guide dog persay, but he did have training.

I adored her best friend and sister Leah. They were by her side whether she wanted it or not. Logan (female best friend) tries to keep her up to date with what is going on and helps her from class to class. She wouldn't take no for an answer in her darker days and kept coming back to visit her. And speaking of her family, there are 7 kids. It is pretty unique to get to read about a family like that and I think it was a good element. From the younger siblings we get to see the tender moments and also the questions that no one else will ask, and from the older we see the support. Emma's parents are polar opposites but they make it work and they are present in kids lives even when they sometimes agree to disagree how to handle some of the issues that arise.

And the element of the teen missing and then found? It was an okay element for me, but I wasn't overly crazy about it. I think it did help to keep the town and other teens from school from focusing too much on Emma, and it gave her another tragedy to come alongside and realize that while being blind sucks, at least she is alive. It is also an avenue for the teens to get together, get to know one another better as well as finding their safe place to talk about tragedy.

The romance is pretty light in this one, but I was okay with it. During most of her dark time, I think that it would have been unrealistic. But I will say that the romance that was there wasn't quite the direction that I expected it to go, but I was still pleased with it, and think that it fit the tone of the book.

I really enjoyed watching Emma grow, the amazing family that she has, and the support from Logan (even though their friendship was tested, and that it evolved) and her other friends that she learned to lean on and begin to let in bit after bit. Emma was well on her way to figuring out how to live as a person who has lost her sight, as well as into a beautiful and strong person.

The ending was nice, and gave me completion. Though I wouldn't mind more time with these characters, and I was sad for the time to end, I like how it wrapped up and where it left me in Emma's story.

Bottom Line: Journey of a girl finding her way in a world without sight. Also firmly a story of family and friendship.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter
Based on some of literature’s horror and science fiction classics,...

0.0 (0)
The Disappearances
What if the ordinary things in life suddenly…disappeared? ...

0.0 (0)
Everything All at Once
Lottie Reeves has always struggled with anxiety, and when her...

0.0 (0)
Lucky in Love
Maddie doesn't believe in luck. She's all about hard work...

4.2 (2)

0.0 (0)
She's So Boss
Whether you already have an idea for a business or...

0.0 (0)
Wesley James Ruined My Life
Sixteen-year-old Quinn Hardwick’s having a rough summer. Her beloved grandmother...

0.0 (0)
Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
Once upon a time, a girl skipped into the forest...

0.0 (0)
Obsidian and Stars
In the sequel to Ivory and Bone—the prehistoric fantasy...

0.0 (0)
Maybe In Paris
Keira Braidwood lands in Paris with her autistic brother,...

0.0 (0)
Revolt: Book Four of the Resistance Series
The Explosive Conclusion to the Award-Winning Resistance Series To...

0.0 (0)
16 Ways to Break A Heart
Unfolding through letters, texts, and chats, Lauren Strasnick’s smart,...

0.0 (0)
Changes in Latitudes
A "road" trip romance that takes place at sea!...

0.0 (0)
First We Were IV
A group of friends start a secret society in...

0.0 (0)
Orphan is the highly anticipated sequel in the ORB trilogy....

0.0 (0)
The World Between the Trees
Jake Hunter has disappeared without a trace and when his...

0.0 (0)
Jupiter Storm
Only a week ago Grey Alexander thought she and her...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Lucky in Love

" Maddie leads a normal teenage life. The only exception is her family's money problems. So when Maddie unexpectedly wins..."
The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter

"‘The Strange Case of the Alchemist’s Daughter’ follows, Mary Jekyll. Mary is Dr. Jekyll’s daughter (of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde)...."
The Disappearances

"WWII is in full force. Aila and Miles’ mother has just died. When their father is drafted, they have no..."
The Maze Runner

"Nice story that unfolds really fast, and in an interesting way. I enjoyed this first part to the trilogy...."
Geekerella

"I was in SDCC last weekend so I had to hold off reading. I finally got to finish reading this..."
Lucky in Love

"Everyone has asked themselves at least once, “what would you do if you won the lotto”. LUCKY IN LOVE is..."
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

"What can I say that hasn't already been said about this magnificent book? The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue..."
She's So Boss

"SHE’S SO BOSS by Stacy Kravetz is a non-fiction guide for young female entrepreneurs who are looking to start or..."
Wesley James Ruined My Life

"This was such a cutesy read! Imagine spending your summer working on a Tudor Times themed restaurant with your worst,..."
First We Were IV

"Remind me again to never read YA Thrillers at night. First We Were IV is a book that has haunted..."
They Both Die at the End

"I think we all know what to expect from a book entitled They Both Die at the End; nevertheless, reading..."
Eliza and Her Monsters

"This was one of my most anticipated spring/summer releases and it didn't disappoint. First, the cover is gorgeous. I love..."
Unbecoming

"What I Loved: Though the story is about three women–Mary the grandmother, Caroline the mother, and Katie the daughter–we get..."
Eliza and Her Monsters

"What I Loved: Eliza, secret creator of a massive webcomic, is an eighteen-year-old ball of anxieties with much more going..."
Dreamthief

"This was an excellent and captivating fantasy book! Olive Kennedy has lived half her life in the magical..."
Washed Ashore

"One confusing passage involved Willie and Mr Wallace, fisherman and harbor master. Critical piece of the plot, but I had..."
Maybe In Paris

"Keira Braidwood's whole dream is to go to Paris. She's saved for this event and has images of the French..."
It's Not Like It's a Secret

"IT’S NOT LIKE IT’S A SECRET by Misa Sugiura follows the story of Sana Kiyohara as she grapples with identity,..."
Looking for Group

"Dylan may have survived cancer, but surviving his mom is another matter. With a run-down home, his mother bored after..."
Violet Grenade

"Domino is used to living on the streets, fighting to survive alongside a friend. When circumstances take a drastic plunge..."