Review Detail

If You're Reading This Featured Hot
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The real cost of war

Mike has a lot on his plate. He does well academically, but he also has to work a lot to help out his mother, Ever since his father was killed in Afghanistan, life has been difficult. His mother is too afraid to even let him play football, and the atmosphere in their run down house is tense. When Mike receives a letter which his father wrote before he died, and which promises more letters to come, he is glad to get to know his father better, but also stressed by all of the old wounds the letters reopens. He takes the challenges his father makes-- going out for football, asking out Isma, and going to a party. This puts Mike more and more at odds with his mother, and he even finds difficulties with members of the football team over Isma, whose parents came from Afghanistan. Ultimately, Mike needs to decide who he wants to be, whether or not he decides to follow his parents' advice.

The best part of this book is the framing of personal growth within the arenas of football and romance. This makes it a book that works for both older middle school students as well as high school. Mike's struggle with dealing with his father's death is done very realistically; I thought it was a particularly good touch to have the younger sister claim that she didn't really even remember her father. The hardships that Mike had-- riding his bike, not having a computer, having to work and worry about leaks in the roof of the house-- were not overdone and added a lot of depth to his character. The details about the war in Afghanistan were good as well, especially the local feeling about Isma and her family.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Diamond and the Boy
Told in a unique dual-narrative format, The Diamond and the...

0.0 (0)
Little Penguin Stays Awake
A charming companion to Little Penguin Gets the Hiccups and...

0.0 (0)
Merry Christmas, Little One
Christmas comes but once a year - Time...

0.0 (0)
Hi-Five Animals
What's the best way to say hello to anyone you...

0.0 (0)
The Three Little Superpigs
After defeating the Big Bad Wolf, the Three Little Superpigs...

0.0 (0)
Twice Dead
Naya, the daughter of a sea merchant captain, nervously undertakes...

0.0 (0)
I, Sofia-Elisabete, Love Child of Colonel Fitzwilliam: A Perfect World in the Moon
In 1815, a 5-year-old girl searches for Utopia in a...

0.0 (0)
The Agony House
Denise Farber has just moved back to New Orleans with...

0.0 (0)
The Island of Monsters (Spirit Hunters #2)
The perfect spooky read for Halloween, this pulse-pounding adventure will...

0.0 (0)
Four Three Two One
Golden “Go” Jennings wasn’t supposed to be on Bus 21...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and play...

0.0 (0)
Max Tilt: 80 Days or Die
When thirteen-year-old Max Tilt stumbled across his great-great-great-grandfather Jules Verne’s...

0.0 (0)
The Grand Escape: The Greatest Prison Breakout of the 20th Century
At the height of World War I, as battles raged...

0.0 (0)
Missing Pieces (Hello Neighbor #1)
Nicky Roth has always been a lonely kid. But that...

0.0 (0)
The Collectors
The Collectors sweeps readers into a hidden world where wishes...

0.0 (0)
My Father's Words
Declan O’Brien always had a gentle word to share, odd...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Maps Activity Book

"The MAPS ACTIVITY BOOK from Big Picture Press is a delightful drawing, learning, and coloring book designed to teach kids..."
Maps

"If I had this book as a kid, I would've gotten lost in it, day in, day out. Oh, who..."