Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The Not so Great Goddess Test....

The first thing I have to say is that this book is a let-down. The characters are poor, the writing style even more so. The plot seemed okay on the blurb, but the romance was dry, and the tests that I desperately wanted Kate to do well on were completely non-existent.

The Goddess Test is a book about Kate, an eighteen-year-old who's mother is dying. With her mother's last wish, of dying where she grew up, Kate drives to Eden, her mother's childhood home. There Kate meets Henry, just after her friend dies, and he offers to bring her back, in return for her to live with him, forever.

From there on the entire books is only really about Kate living in a big house for six months, where nothing really happens. The plot is boring, as nothing happens except right at the start, where Ava dies. I thought the tests would be all big and important, but they weren't even that important, hidden underneath all the boredom of the plot. I was hoping that it would be tests with monsters, and riddles, but the seven tests were basically the seven very unimportant decisions, not good at all.

Kate was such a useless character. She didn't think through things through when she made her decision about living with Henry forever. Even Henry said that prolonging her mother's life was a very cheap price. I reckon that she at least thought things through before she made a fairly useless choice. Henry wasn't dark, like the blurb suggests, but just off-putting. He didn't really have a personality, and the one he does is nothing like the god of death had. I didn't like him, he just was a boring person, just like everything else in the book.

What really got me angry was how causally Kate told Ava that she died, and then brought back to life. And Ava hardly reacted, the only thing that happened was that she brought out a Greek mythology book and started reading. I think there should of been some disbelief involved, not just blind acceptance.

The Goddess Test is a boring version of modern greek mythology. I can easily say that everyone, EVERYONE, would be better off reading Percy Jackson or Half-Blood, which are so much better than this very boring book.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Emily Windsnap and the Pirate Prince (Emily Windsnap, #8)
Traveling home by cruise ship should be a relaxing break...

0.0 (0)
The Ice Garden
Allergic to the sun, Jess sets out to explore the...

0.0 (0)
The Three Little Superpigs: Once Upon a Time
Everyone thinks they know how the Three Little Pigs defeated...

0.0 (0)
Song for a Whale
In the spirit of modern-day classics like Fish in a...

0.0 (0)
Maybe Tomorrow?
Elba has a big block. She's been dragging it around...

0.0 (0)
The Very Impatient Caterpillar
HEY! What are you guys doing? ...

0.0 (0)
Wonders of Nature: Explorations in the World of Birds, Insects and Fish
Bright-eyed birds, evanescent butterflies, tropical fish and other pleasures await...

0.0 (0)
The Final Step (Lock and Key #3)
The New York Times bestselling author of the Peter and...

0.0 (0)
Pretend She's Here
Mega-bestselling author Luanne Rice returns with a ripped-from-the-headlines story of...

0.0 (0)
You Made Me a Dad
In this touching celebration of fatherhood, the close bond between...

0.0 (0)
Cicada
Cicada tells the story of a hardworking little cicada who...

0.0 (0)
Captured: An American Prisoner of War in North Vietnam
Naval aviator Jeremiah Denton was shot down and captured in...

0.0 (0)
Swap'd
After her Click'd catastrophe, Allie Navarro is determined to redeem...

0.0 (0)
Stick Dog Gets the Tacos (Stick Dog #9)
When Karen sprints into Stick Dog’s pipe and declares an...

0.0 (0)
Tin
Tin
In an alternative England of the 1930s where the laws...

0.0 (0)
Ruff vs. Fluff (Queenie & Arthur #1)
From the outside, Queenie the cat and...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Hush, Little Bunny

"HUSH, LITTLE BUNNY is a beautifully reimagined version of the song, “Hush, Little Baby.” Featuring a papa bunny and his..."
How Do I Love Thee?

"HOW DO I LOVE THEE? features a beautiful poem and lovely illustrations in a celebration of love between friends and..."
The Unteachables

"Mr. Kermit is entering his 30th year of teaching, and he's already put in for early retirement. He started his..."
How Do I Love Thee?

"HOW DO I LOVE THEE is a beautifully illustrated children's book that is based on Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "Sonnet 43"...."
Little Penguin Stays Awake

"All Little Penguin wants to do his fly like all of the other birds. His only hope is wishing on..."
Louise Loves Bake Sales

"In this Level 1 "I Can Read" book, Louise and her brother Art decide to make and decorate cupcakes for..."
Evangeline of the Bayou

"Evangeline is a haunt huntress in training. She's being taught how to rid the world of spirits, banshees, and pretty..."
The Golden Thread: A Song for Pete Seeger

"'The Golden Thread: A Song for Pete Seeger' by Colin Meloy, illustrated by Nikki McClure, took a bit to get..."
Just Being Jackie

"'Just Being Jackie' by Margaret Cardillo, illustrated by Julia Denos, is a beautiful and culturally significant biography of former first..."
What's Cooking, Moo Moo?

"Mr. Quackers wants to go on vacation, but instead, Moo Moo opens a restaurant with the money. Moo Moo insists..."
Marlo and the Dinosaurs

"A gorgeous seek and find. The images are the true star of this book. Marlo falls asleep and goes..."
I Love You Like a Pig

"It’s hard to know what to make of Barnett and Pizzoli’s book. Packed with off-the-wall comparisons and unorthodox relationships, the..."
The Digger and the Flower

"'The Digger and the Flower' by Joseph Kuefler shows the power of goodness when everything else seems to be overtaking..."
Blue vs. Yellow

"'Blue vs. Yellow' by Tom Sullivan focused on the creative ways in which those two colors can be used, along..."
Confiscated!

"'Confiscated' by Suzanne Kaufman tells the story of two dinosaur brothers who each want the same toys. When their mother..."
The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid

"In 1961, Charlie Fisher is a poor little rich kid whose mother has decided that she's tired of caring for..."
Little Penguin and the Lollipop

"LITTLE PENGUIN AND THE LOLLIPOP is interactive and encourages the reader to help Little Penguin by being silly. It makes..."
Sergeant Reckless: The True Story of the Little Horse Who Became a Hero

"SERGEANT RECKLESS is an inspirational true story about a horse named Reckless who helped turn the tides at the Battle..."
Samson: The Piranha Who Went to Dinner

"I always love a good book that teaches my child a lesson and SAMSON, THE PIRANHA WHO WENT TO DINNER..."
Raisin, the Littlest Cow

"RAISIN, THE LITTLEST COW, was a cute story with a good message that change will come, but it's not always..."