Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The Perfect Book

Reader reviewed by Dwan

Gone with the Wind is an incredible story of love, life, strife, hard times and the strength of the human spirit. The book starts with Scarlett O'Hara, spoiled little rich girl who has her choice of any man and lives her life as if people are just things meant to please her. She lives on a cotton plantation, Tara, with her family and their slaves. She is in love with Ashley but has no qualms about leading every other boy on to satisfy her vanity and her wild streak. When the Civil War breaks out, everything changes for Scarlett and everyone she knows. Friends and beaus go off to die in the war fighting for "The Cause." Scarlett often feels like an outsider. Scarlett is completely understandable even when you don't agree with her or her actions. All of the different characters in the book (even the "unimportant" ones) are written so well that you feel that you have know or do know someone like each of them. The book explores the inner workings of different kinds of people and how a fighting spirit can do more than expected. I fell absolutley for Rhett Butler and understood exactly who he was and what he wanted. He is mischevious and teasing and a source of amusement for the reader. Even though I more or less knew what to expect in the end, there were countless moments in the book that surprised me or made me hold my breath. Everyone in this book had their lives changed one way or another by the Civil War and the book deals with how each person copes with the aftermath of the war the best that they can, for some - the only way that they can. Scarlett has a fighting spirit, and even during the parts of the book that I found myself tsking at what she was thinking or doing, I totally accepted that that is who she is. This book is a beautiful breathtaking story and it is worth the time spent.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

TBH, Too Much Drama (TBH, #3)
Told entirely in text messages, the third book in this...

0.0 (0)
Enter the Core (Max Tilt #3)
Max Tilt thinks his luck is finally changing, thanks to...

0.0 (0)
Hugs and Kisses for the Grouchy Ladybug
From the World of Eric Carle comes a brand-new book...

0.0 (0)
Hush, Little Bunny
Hush, Little Bunny is a heartwarming, lyrical love letter from...

0.0 (0)
Fangs for Everything (Crimebiters #4)
The CrimeBiters gang got its start with help from my...

0.0 (0)
A Wolf Called Wander
“Don’t miss this dazzling tour de force.”—Katherine Applegate, Newbery Medal...

0.0 (0)
Summer Babies (Babies in the Park)
An endearing board book with adorable babies on the go...

0.0 (0)
Magical Creatures Academy 1: Night Shifter
Rina Nelle Mont has never been a part of...

0.0 (0)
Riverdale.jpg
Based on the massively successful CW show, Riverdale, this...

0.0 (0)
Emmie and the Tudor King
One moment, Emmie is writing her high school history paper;...

0.0 (0)
Courting Darkness (Courting Darkness duology)
First in a duology, this darkly thrilling page-turner set...

0.0 (0)
The Afterward
Romantic high fantasy from the bestselling author of Star...

0.0 (0)
Tell Me Everything
Your secret's safe...until it's not. Ivy's always preferred to...

0.0 (0)
The Genie Dagger
A magical dagger. An evil genie. A hidden past....

0.0 (0)
Fox and the Box
In this debut picture book, author-illustrator Yvonne Ivinson invites readers...

0.0 (0)
Lambslide
Nicolette Farmer is running for class president, and the rest...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

TBH, Too Much Drama (TBH, #3)

"TBH, TOO MUCH DRAMA is a short book that primarily takes place over texts, but also has some emails, essays,..."
Skeleton Tree

"THE SKELETON TREE is a gripping middle grade novel that will touch your heart. Stanley Stanwright is 12 years old,..."
Enter the Core (Max Tilt #3)

"Max and his cousin Alex are still enjoying the benefits of the serum that has cured Max's mom and his..."
Hugs and Kisses for the Grouchy Ladybug

"HUGS AND KISSES FOR THE GROUCHY LADYBUG features, of course, the iconic character of the grouchy ladybug and which examines..."
Hush, Little Bunny

"HUSH, LITTLE BUNNY is a beautifully reimagined version of the song, “Hush, Little Baby.” Featuring a papa bunny and his..."
Fangs for Everything (Crimebiters #4)

"Jimmy and his friends are back for this fourth and final installment, which starts with a bit of a shocker......"
Summer Babies (Babies in the Park)

"SUMMER BABIES is a fun board book that celebrates summer with babies playing in the park. Using summery colors and..."
Fox and the Box

"FOX AND THE BOX is a charming picture book that follows a fox as he/she converts a box into a..."
Lambslide

"LAMBSLIDE is an elegant picture book that follows three little lambs, who are all pretty sure the world revolves around..."
Sun Down, Monsters Up!

"SUN DOWN, MONSTERS UP! introduces the characters of Pitchfork Pines Preschool. This special preschool hosts the children of famous monsters..."
How Do I Love Thee?

"HOW DO I LOVE THEE? features a beautiful poem and lovely illustrations in a celebration of love between friends and..."
Pippin No Lickin'

"PIPPIN NO LICKIN is a picture book which follows the cat, Pippin. Although most cats know how to clean themselves..."
Bone Hollow

"BONE HOLLOW follows Gabe, a young boy who lives with Miss Cleo, a woman who cares for him exactly as..."
The Missing Easter Bunny (Pikmi Pops)

"THE MISSING EASTER BUNNY is a colorful and bright celebration of Easter egg hunts! Ebby the bunny invited all the..."
Egg

"EGG is a cute and simple board book that primarily focuses on the illustrations. The story begins with four eggs,..."
Emmet Gets Tough (The LEGO Movie 2: Storybook with Stickers)

"EMMET GETS TOUGH is a picture book that is a companion to the movie featured. In the vein of THE..."
It's Pool Time! (Clifford)

"In a delightful summer read, Emily Elizabeth, Clifford, and friends are spending a day at the pool. Emily Elizabeth wants..."
Spring Babies (Babies in the Park)

"This enchanting board book features lovely images that celebrate babies in the springtime. With a simple, rhyming poem and coordinated..."
Making Bombs for Hitler

"What worked: This is an emotional tale of Lida, a young Ukrainian girl, who is stolen from her home and..."
Dear Boy,

"DEAR BOY is a series of reflections on and advice for life, geared towards boys. With statements encouraging them to..."