Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Tara's Adventure Continues and the Stakes are Higher

Ascension picks up just a few weeks after the events of Awaken. Tara is trying to learn more about her powers, Jax is gone, and Ben has been taken to the Prezedant’s city.

*Please note that if you have not read book one of this series there may be minor spoilers in this review.*

Tara is one of my favorite heroines. She’s determined, fiercely loyal, and brave. She loves her little family: Mack (new character that I love, more on him in a minute), Tater, Finn, and Jax. AND she will get her other family back: Ben and the kids. Her fault is that she is so focused on finding Ben and the kids that she misses the bigger conflict and what her new blood status will mean to the Prezedant. Tara has no regard for her own safety and risks her life many times to save those she loves.

What I love about this series is the side characters. Michelle Bryan is awesome in that she’s created a great set of secondary characters that are fully developed and compliment the story and Tara. Mack was introduced near the end of Awaken and I fell in love with him! He’s a general for the Prezedant but also works within the rebellion, feeding them information and helping prisoners escape when he can. Now he’s training Tara to fight and I love it. Jax….oh Jax! He’s perfectly annoying and unavailable and everything that would drive any girl of the same age crazy. I easily picked up on his feelings for Tara during the first book, but the author delves into it more this time and yes I most definitely swooned.

My biggest complaint during the first book (and it was minor really because I loved it) was that there wasn’t a lot of world-building. While the author did create a magnificent dystopian world for our characters, there wasn’t much information about how that world was created. Michelle answers those questions in this book, and it was well worth the wait. I love the background to how society became so underdeveloped, how the new bloods were created, and how the Prezedant seems to never age. It adds so much to the story that I’m on pins and needles waiting for the conclusion!

Overall I enjoyed this addition to the New Bloods Trilogy. I love Tara, I LOVED the little triangle the author sets up among Tara, Ben, and Jax, AND I adore the series arch. I can’t wait to read more and find out what all Tara is capable of. If you enjoy young adult, science fiction, dystopians, than this series is for you!

*This review first appeared on Mom with a Reading Problem: https://www.momwithareadingproblem.com/2015/10/review-ascension-by-michelle-bryan/

Good Points
-Believable Dystopian
-Fully fleshed-out minor characters
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Even Monsters Go To School
What’s a school day like for you? ...

0.0 (0)
Can Cat and Bird Be Friends
In a sweet and clever picture book from debut author-illustrator...

0.0 (0)
Origami Bible Stories For Kids
Perfect for Sunday school lessons and youth group activities--paper figures...

0.0 (0)
Pig the Stinker
In this hilarious adventure, Pig the Pug STINKS! Pig likes...

0.0 (0)
Little Rabbit Lost
It is Little Rabbit’s birthday and his family surprises him...

0.0 (0)
Cece Loves Science and Adventure
Cece loves science and adventure! ...

0.0 (0)
Hannah Sparkles: Hooray For the First Day of School
Cheer along with Hannah Sparkles on her first day of...

0.0 (0)
Turtle and Tortoise Are Not Friends
This is Turtle. This is...

0.0 (0)
Trace
In a debut novel that's perfect for fans of Jason...

0.0 (0)
When Summer Ends
Three months Two changed fates One...

0.0 (0)
Mystery Club (Mr. Wolf's Class #2)
Mr. Wolf's students are settling into their new classroom, and...

0.0 (0)
Baby Astronaut (Baby Scientist)
Baby Scientist is an adorable board book series that brings...

0.0 (0)
Tree of Dreams
Dear Coco and Leo, I miss you! We...

0.0 (0)
Teeth in the Mist
A genre-bending epic horror-fantasy, inspired by the legend of...

0.0 (0)
A Bond of Venom and Magic
Magic awakens. Darkness stirs. The Wraith Lord hunts. The...

0.0 (0)
Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas
Everyone knows that piranhas don't eat bananas -- except for...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

"Reader reviewed by Henry Robert Stanek has already established a name for himself as the author of the critically acclaimed..."
The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches (Keeper Martin's Tales #1)

"Reader reviewed by Scooter My mom and dad are both teachers at A.S. My mom has this entire series in..."
The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches II (Keeper Martin's Tales #2)

"Reader reviewed by Scooter My mom and dad are both teachers at A.S. I have my mom to thank for..."
The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches III (Keeper Martin's Tales #3)

"Reader reviewed by Scooter My mom and dad are both teachers at A.S and she my mom has this book..."
The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches IV (Keeper Martin's Tales #4)

"Reader reviewed by Scooter My mom and dad are both teachers at A.S. My mom has this entire series in..."
In the Service of Dragons (In the Service of Dragons #1)

"Reader reviewed by Melinda Grace this was really good! i loved it. i couldn't put it down. it was the..."
In the Service of Dragons II (In the Service of Dragons #2)

"Reader reviewed by Melinda i read in the service of dragons 1 and it just hooked me so bad, so..."

"Reader reviewed by Ben I could not stop reading this book. I got the book for a road trip thinking..."
The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches II (Keeper Martin's Tales #2)

"Reader reviewed by Ben I'm a fan of Harry Potter who just discovered this series, and I'm telling you it..."
The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches III (Keeper Martin's Tales #3)

"Reader reviewed by Ben I've never finished a book so fast in my life. I enjoyed every moment of this..."

"Reader reviewed by Ben I have read all the books in the series and loved them. This is probably one..."
Journey Beyond the Beyond (Magic Lands #1)

"Reader reviewed by Evan The whole point of this book is not the beginning, nor the end, but the journey..."

"Reader reviewed by Evan This book was excellent. Its intricate plot weaves the characters in and around Great Kingdom, where..."

"Reader reviewed by Sylvia M I've read all four of the Kingdoms & Elves books multiple times. 'Kingdoms & the..."

"Reader reviewed by bookworm Very worthwhile reading. Be sure to get all four at once as you will not want..."

"Reader reviewed by bookworm You are immediately transported into this world and time and it is not long before you..."

"Reader reviewed by Scott This is certainly one of, if not the best story I have ever read. It's story..."
In the Service of Dragons II (In the Service of Dragons #2)

"Reader reviewed by Scott It did not take but what seems a few sentences into this story and I was..."

"Reader reviewed by Randy It is the best fantasy novels ever! I have read all the books 5 times. The..."
Journey Beyond the Beyond (Magic Lands #1)

"Reader reviewed by Mia for Mr. Novak's classroom This is one of the best books I have ever read! It..."