Young Adult Indie
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

God's Rough Drafts

"God’s Rough Drafts" (Red Dashboard Press) is a gripping, powerful page-turner set 110 years in the future where massive corporations control the government, the working class sell their organs and body parts to pay off loans, while the rich use their newly-purchased limbs as a means of accessorizing. “Chop shops” and the practice of “cleansing and harvesting” would be painful, if it weren’t for the Prevotel Corporation’s seemingly endless supply of prescription drugs, with the minor side effect of life-long addiction and an inability to break free from the grim cycle of marketing and selling one’s own body parts.
At the helm of this thriller is Fallon Westerly, a fierce, seventeen-year-old adventurer-heroine who uses her tenacity and unprecedented talents to fight back. She, along with Danny and Emma, three gifted teenagers with supernatural gifts, find themselves imprisoned in the Warrenton School for Juvenile Student Management for crimes against the state. While serving time, Danny and Emma save Fallon from the WSJSM headmaster, and the three narrowly escape the laboratory/prison posing as a correctional facility for youth. Now Fallon needs the help of her two newfound friends to return to the detention center on a quest to seek retribution, and put a stop to the buying, marketing, and distribution of human body parts forever. Hunting them, however, are creatures which bear a striking resemblance to monsters from nineteenth-century literature, each the ghastly creation of the mastermind who wanted the three teens together in the first place. Fallon, Danny, and Emma must use their special gifts to defeat the unholy creations standing in their way, with Nature as their co-conspirator…or perhaps their enemy?
We’re not sure.
"God’s Rough Drafts," Robert Scott’s seventh novel, asks what will happen in the twenty-second century if we don’t deal with the issues that plague us in the twenty-first: greedy corporations, deceitful governments, and the devious prescription drug industry. While clearly targeted at teenage readers, the book will attract fans of all ages struggling with the desire both to furiously turn pages but also pause to consider who really controls this country our everyday lives. In a world where technology is both a critical resource but also a permanent handcuff, Scott encourages readers to reflect on a future that’s being written by cell phone and social media addicts today.
Scott’s foundation for brilliance in God’s Rough Drafts lies in his ability to tell a highly intense story with fast paced action scenes packed with adventure, mystery, the super natural, and even a bit of romance, while serving his readers a slice of social commentary, thanks to his humor and his sharply drawn characters who represent modern day super heroes: reflective, relentless, and unapologetic forces of nature. Scott fills every page with high intensity action, a riveting story line with important, sociological themes, characters that will forever resonate with readers of all ages, and an ending that leaves us counting the days until Fallon’s sequel arrives.

Good Points
This book is a must-read for any teen or YA fiction fans concerned with the current social, political, and economic climate in the United States. A timely story with wide appeal, Robert Scott offers insightful commentary for teens concerned about the future if nothing changes.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account