Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Well Written

A well-written and unique take on an old tale.

The Story:
The prince of the Seelie court is the subject of a prophecy stating he will unite the fair and foul courts of the fey. In order to thwart the prophecy, the king of the Unseelie disfigures him until none can look upon him without staring. He goes to live in the mountains where he meets a huntress claiming to be searching for a beast that has been terrorizing the area.
But she has secrets and she's going to be forced to choose between her new friends and a darker force.

What I loved: The writing style is enchanting, flowing effortlessly in an almost poetic tone. It's really beautiful and so well done.
There's a message in these pages about beauty and what counts for such. It leaves an impression on the reader. The prince may not have been physically appealing, but he was kind and generous and saw the good in others.

What was just okay: I wanted more. This story is too large to be told in a short format such as this. The book only scratches the surface of the characters leaving them without the depth to allow the reader to truly connect with them. The evil king is almost a caricature of a villain, lacking in the kind of development that could make us understand his motivations.

Final Verdict: A charmingly new take on a story we thought we knew well. It breathes new life into a fairytale that didn't have much to like about it, teaching us things we thought we already knew.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Tin
Tin
In an alternative England of the 1930s where the laws...

0.0 (0)
Stolen Girl
Nadia is haunted by World War II. Her memories of...

0.0 (0)
The Iliad
More than three thousand years ago, two armies faced each...

0.0 (0)
A Light Amongst Shadows
James Spencer is hardly the typical troubled youth who ends...

0.0 (0)
the orphan fixed.jpg
Sometimes the ones who save us are the ones we...

0.0 (0)
Astrid the Unstoppable
Pippi Longstocking meets Heidi meets Anne Shirley in this tale...

0.0 (0)
Dreamland
In his sleep, Louie starts visiting a magical world where...

0.0 (0)
Me, Shakespeare and the Anti-Love Club
Heartbroken and spurned Kassidy starts an Anti-Love Club in response...

0.0 (0)
The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)
Sacrifice all you have to survive. ...

0.0 (0)
NewBookCover.jpg
The Akakies, a peaceful, technologically advanced alien species known as...

5.0 (1)
A new, revised edition of Edward Willett’s multi-award-winning young adult...

0.0 (0)
Love at First Fight
Band Geek vs Quarterback... One humiliating photo, a stupid...

0.0 (0)
Ellie Quinn has spent most of her sixteen years behind...

0.0 (0)
King Geek vs the Cheerleader Julia Farrow...

0.0 (0)
Gamer vs Player Some girls have a...

0.0 (0)
Long live Solaris. One bloodthirsty ruler has...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World

"Insightful, engaging, and downright fun! LEGO hits on all the learning styles in this brilliantly interactive science primer. ..."
Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World

"“Women and girls have been sharing things up for a long time, resisting those who would box them in.” ..."
Growing Friendships: A Kids' Guide to Making and Keeping Friends

"Utilizing plain language and a kid-friendly presentation, Growing Friendships examines and addresses a wide range of socially detrimental issues such..."
My Weird School Fast Facts: Space, Humans, and Farts

"MY WEIRD SCHOOL FAST FACTS: SPACE, HUMANS, AND FARTS makes learning more interesting and fun. Using the weird-but-true theme is..."
The Ultimate Guide to Gardening (Craft It Yourself)

"Don’t let the name intimidate you—this guide is as extensive as it is accessible. The book features 111 pleasingly..."
A Kid's Guide To America's First Ladies

"How does a First Lady train for a job that has no job description—or even a salary? A job that..."

"An eye-catching activity book that teaches the nuances of font topography—for the young aspiring graphic artist in your home. ..."
Heroes For My Daughter

"3.5 Stars A compelling concept with a lot of heart behind it. The book presents as a sort..."
Heroes for My Son

"True-to-life heroes--real people who've accomplished attainable yet noteworthy things. This book holds a timeless and intriguing premise. (Particularly in a..."
About Marine Mammals: A guide for Children

"About Marine Mammals is a beautifully illustrated and educational book, perfect for school libraries. Or if you have a curious..."
Oceans (About Habitats)

"About Habitats is such a beautifully illustrated and interesting book. If you have a curious child who enjoys learning about..."
100 Things to Know Before  You Grow Up

"100 Things to Know Before You Grow Up is yet another reason why I, as well as the children I..."
Factastic: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World (LEGO Nonfiction)

"An entertaining encyclopedic primer, ideal for knowledge-thirsty LEGO fans. Coming in at 175 pages, FACTASTIC is a sizeable,..."
Scholastic Book of Presidents

"It’s been about a month since the US Presidential Election, and Scholastic’s newest release will help you learn everything you..."
Football Superstars 2016

"FOOTBALL SUPERSTARS 2016 by K.C. Kelley takes an in-depth look at the star players in the NFL at the end..."
BASEBALL SUPERSTARS 2016

"BASEBALL SUPERSTARS 2016 by K.C. Kelley is exactly what one would expect from the title: a review of the top..."
LEGO POP-UP

"A masterpiece of folded paper engineering, loaded with a wealth of interesting LEGO history and facts. From its..."

"What an enthralling little book this is! Growing up, I didn’t read too much non-fiction because I didn’t have access..."
LEGO Knights & Castles

"LEGO continues its tried and true tactic of combining real world pictures and period art with their cell-shaded cartoon figures,..."
Awesome 8

"Awesome 8 was entertaining and education but not in an obvious way. If you have a reluctant reader, this book..."