Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Areion by Lela Grayce Review

Feedback

I don’t even know where to begin. This story was amazing. Lela created an outstanding world and rich story. The beginning took time to divulge into the main plot but it didn’t feel like it dragged. We were able to get the connection to the sisters to invest in their adventure. Wendy and DeeDee’s story quickly picks up after their birthday party when Wendy is attacked in the forest. The history of their lives and the connection they establish to the other survivors is exciting. It is really hard to write about how amazing everything is without giving away the story even though I devoured this whole book. There were so many interesting aspects of the book that really made me want to keep going and learn about this world so similar to ours.

While the story was rich and full of adventure, it was truly the characters that stole me. Everything about every character I loved. Their dynamic with each other was truly one of the best I have read. Wendy, the practical one, compliments her sister DeeDee, the jokester, perfectly. The way they interacted with each other, their adoptive parents, and even their best friends made me want to be a part of their inner circle. There were so many times in the books I have laughed out loud because I couldn’t contain it. I connected with them so easily and was truly invested in their well being.

I just gushed over the story and the characters of this book so why did I only give it 4 stars? The first part of the book was flawless. The pacing was set perfectly, the characters personality had me hooked, and the buildup was phenomenal. Then, we get halfway done and we get a different point of view. Then another. Then all of the sudden I am reading from DeeDee’s point of view instead of Wendy’s even though they were still together. This truly threw me off. There was a great buildup and then I felt like it was halted during this abrupt change. It took me a minute to register the other point of views then to adjust reading from DeeDee’s point of view. There was no introduction early on in the book of a change in perspective so this really threw me off. Once I got used to DeeDee’s view, I was able to get the rhythm back but this sorely hurt the pacing of the book. I don’t mind different point of views but this felt unnecessary and I did not like the change.

Final Thoughts

Overall, Areion by Lela Grayce is a must read for fantasy lovers. I absolutely adored this book with its unique and rich story. The characters were outstanding with some of the best dynamic I have read. While halfway through the book their is an abrupt point of view change and does affect the pacing a little, it is rewarding in the end. I highly recommend this book if you love magic, dark rulers, and adventure.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Mend A Story of Divorce
Sophia, the fourteen-year-old author and protagonist, tells the heart-wrenching story...

0.0 (0)
Dungeons & Dragons: Into the Jungle: An Endless Quest Book
Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where you...

0.0 (0)
Dungeons & Dragons: Big Trouble: An Endless Quest Book
Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where you...

0.0 (0)
Clink A Story of Cyberbullying
Click is the heroic story of a young girl who...

0.0 (0)
Stay Sweet
Summer in Sand Lake isn’t complete without a trip to...

0.0 (0)
On Blood Road (A Vietnam War Novel)
The last place on earth Taylor Sorenson wants to be...

0.0 (0)
Courageous
Aiden is the son of a fisherman on the south...

0.0 (0)
A Thousand Sisters: The Heroic Airwomen of the Soviet Union in World War II
In the early years of World War II, Josef Stalin...

0.0 (0)
The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler
Adolf Hitler’s Nazi party is gaining strength and becoming more...

0.0 (0)
New Kid
Seventh grader Jordan Banks loves nothing more than drawing cartoons...

0.0 (0)
Watch Hollow
Deep within the enchanted woods in the town of Watch...

0.0 (0)
Giant Days
Based on the hit graphic-novel series from BOOM! Studios, the...

0.0 (0)
The Unteachables
The Unteachables are a notorious class of misfits, delinquents, and...

0.0 (0)
Tales from the Inner City
Tales from the Inner City is a collection of incredibly...

0.0 (0)
Gamer Army
After Rogan Webber levels up yet again on his favorite...

0.0 (0)
Eventown
The world tilted for Elodee this year, and now it’s...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Bravelands #3: Blood and Bone

"Thorn, a baboon, Sky, an elephant, and Fearless, a lion, have been friends since childhood. Due to the evil influence..."
Parasite Life

"Jane is stuck in a creepy old house with her invalid mother. She has no idea why her mother is..."
Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms)

""Ever the Hunted" is an incredible YA fantasy with a touch of romance. The story begins with Britta, starving and..."
The Star-Touched Queen

"I enjoyed this rich world. I felt like I was there seeing the lure with my own eyes. I loved..."
The Iron Flower (The Black Witch Chronicles Book 2)

"*I was lucky enough for NetGalley and Harlequin Teen to approve me for this ARC in exchange for an honest..."
Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms)

"Feedback I adored this book so much! There were so many parts of this book that I just loved...."
Ever the Brave (Clash of Kingdoms book 2)

"Feedback I was so excited to continue this series. There was so much that happened in book one which..."
Once A King (Clash of Kingdoms)

"\ Feedback If you’ve read my other reviews on the series thus far then you know how much I love..."
The Tesla Legacy

"When Lucy discovers a hidden door in the Tesla Suite, she's surprised to discover an egg. Curiosity gets the better..."
Daughter of the Burning City

"Daughter of the Burning City was nothing like what I was expecting. For some strange reason I thought it would..."
The Iron Flower (The Black Witch Chronicles Book 2)

"Feedback Welcome to the resistance. What a sequel! This book was just as dense as the first book but..."
Dungeons & Dragons: Escape the Underdark: An Endless Quest Book

"Told in second-person present-tense, this fantasy is styled after the beloved choose-your-own-adventure books of yore. It also features a vast..."
Dungeons & Dragons: To Catch a Thief: An Endless Quest Book

"Nostalgic parents rejoice! Told in second-person present-tense, this fantasy is styled after the beloved choose-your-own-adventure books of yore...."
Chainbreaker (Timekeeper Book 2)

"Feedback What a change from book one! While I enjoyed Timekeeper, it took me a while to truly engage..."
The Reader

""The Reader" is an intriguing YA fantasy that follows a girl named Sefia. Her parents hid her in a secret..."
Umbertouched

"UMBERTOUCHED is the end to the Rosemarked Duology and I'm blown away by it. When Zivah and Dineas are..."
Rosemarked

"Zivah is a healer who wants to help people, but when she gets rosemarked (infected by the rose plague), she..."
The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

""The Raven King" is a glorious end to a magnificent series. This series has quickly become one of my all..."
The Assassination of Brangwain Spurge

"Brangwain Spurge is an elfin historian on a mission: he's tasked with delivering a gift to the king of the..."
City of Dust

"City of Dust is the follow up to Book of Fire which for me was the perfect blend of history,..."