Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Love and Jealousy

'When Fall Breaks' by Julie Solano and Tracy Justice had a lot of interesting scenarios going on that are not touched upon quite as much in many contemporary books. Abuse is a hard topic to display with empathy and a sense of reality, and the authors have done a good job of making sure this comes across. Often, victims are of the mindset that they are to blame for the troubles befalling them, and that is what Kaitlyn is dealing with as we get to know her and her boyfriend, Pistol, early in the novel.

Aside from her relationship with Pistol, Kaitlyn lives a pretty nice life. She has a twin brother, Caden, and two best friends, Jenna and Brody. Brody is also Caden's best friend and they've all known for each for many years. Their friendship is built on a host of memories, jokes, and nicknames, and they all get along very well. So well, in fact, that Brody and Kaitlyn each have feelings brewing for the other but don't want to say anything lest they ruin their longstanding friendship. When these feelings bubble to the surface, it brings up a lot of good for the both of them as they learn what they really mean to each other, but it also brings about more trouble, since Pistol's overly jealous nature is not something with which anyone wants to reckon.

Even though the novel was interesting, there were parts of it that were not as necessary, as the storyline would have likely worked well without it. These scenes, however, were good in that they showed both the volatile nature of her relationship with Pistol and the kind and sweet nature of her relationship with Brody. Yet, the cliffhanger ending of the novel, even though another book in the series will likely resolve it, will leave readers yearning for more, upset that they've read quite a long book without a fitting conclusion.

Authors Julie Solano and Tracy Justice have crafted a story that will pull at heartstrings, bring some tears to readers' eyes, and make those same readers upset that there isn't more to be read in that particular storyline. It speaks to their ability to engage readers, and for that reason, the novel is certainly worth checking out. Plus, you can read the first couple of chapters of the next one in the series on Amazon's "Look Inside" option.

Good Points
Authors Julie Solano and Tracy Justice have crafted a story that will pull at heartstrings, bring some tears to readers' eyes, and make those same readers upset that there isn't more to be read in that particular storyline. It speaks to their ability to engage readers, and for that reason, the novel is certainly worth checking out.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Jesus Loves Me
The Bible bb's share the Good News about Jesus using...

0.0 (0)
Changing Faces: Happy Halloween!
It’s Halloween and all the different creatures have come out...

0.0 (0)
The Itsy Bitsy School Bus
A fun and playful back-to-school twist on the popular nursery...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Hearts
Perfect for Valentine's Day or any day--search-and-find fun from bestselling...

0.0 (0)
I Spy Little Bunnies
This bestselling board book now has a shiny new holographic...

0.0 (0)
Peep, Peep, I Love You
An adorable lift-the-flap springtime and Easter story, full of sweet...

0.0 (0)
Lift the Flap: Look Who's Mooing!
What sounds do a cow, chicken, and more farm animals...

0.0 (0)
The Archive of Magic: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Newt, Tina, Queenie, and Jacob, the beloved heroes of Fantastic...

0.0 (0)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Adventure Colouring Book
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Magical Advent ...

0.0 (0)
Chicken Talk
The chickens on the farm have a message for their...

0.0 (0)
Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
Lindsay Moore’s remarkable and beautifully illustrated picture book follows a...

0.0 (0)
Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
Follow la vida y legado of Pura Belpré, the first...

0.0 (0)
Remarkably You
New York Times bestselling author Pat Zietlow Miller celebrates individuality...

0.0 (0)
Our Little Love Bug! (Heart-felt Books)
You're the precious gift we dreamed of. You...

0.0 (0)
Bird Watch
From the author of the acclaimed Tap the Magic Tree!...

0.0 (0)
What About Harry?
From New York Times bestselling illustrator Derek Anderson comes the...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Just For Clicks

"Claire and her twin sister, Poppy, are ‘internet famous’. Every part of their lives have been blogged, photographed, and recorded..."
P.S. I Like You

"Be yourself, even when you don’t fit in! Two teenagers who both felt like something was missing in their lives..."
Catching Jordan

"It's sooooo cute!!!!!! I shipped Jordan and Sam pretty much from page 1. I can't praise this book enough...."
The Art of Losing

"Seventeen-year-old Harley has been dating Mike for a couple of years, and being his girlfriend gives her a status and..."
Black Enough: Stories of Being Young and Black in America

"See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from the publisher as..."
Winner Take All

"The phrases “beautiful disaster” and “bad romance” but NOT the well-known novels that use those phrases for their titles. Five..."
Fresh Ink: An Anthology

"Anthologies have such a special place in my heart. The art of the short story is undervalued and it’s just..."
Stealing Parker

"I am a big fan and proud to say This book is amazing, and that's it I am no lyrical..."
The Disturbed Girl's Dictionary

"What worked: This is an amazing glimpse into the life of Macy. Others say she's 'disturbed', but she's the kind..."
You'd Be Mine

""You'd Be Mine" follows two young country music stars on their path to self-discovery, dealing with past family deaths, and..."
You'd Be Mine

"YOU’D BE MINE by Erin Hahn is a YA contemporary romance set in the confines of country music, road life,..."
99 Lies (100 Hours, #2)

"99 lies pick up exactly where the last book left off, post-kidnapping—at least for most of them. Genesis and Holden..."
Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss

"When Lacey scores a leading role in a zombie movie, she wants to give it her all. However, she struggles..."
Only A Breath Apart

"ONLY A BREATH APART alternates POV between Jesse and Scarlett. The two of them used to be best friends as..."
A Sky for Us Alone

"A SKY FOR US ALONE by Kristin Russell is a YA coming-of-age novel filled with mystery and heartache. It’s set..."
The Disturbed Girl's Dictionary

"The Disturbed Girl’s Dictionary is as disturbing as its name implies. While, in an effort to not trivialize or..."
Hearts Unbroken

N/A
"There are a lot of entry-points to the storylines in Cynthia Leitich Smith's Hearts Unbroken. I recommend this book especially..."
With Malice

"I loved this book, it kept me thinking afterwards for days. "The truth is how you tell it," take that..."
The Penderwicks at Last

"THE PENDERWICKS AT LAST is the last in the series of Jeanne Birdsall's books about the Penderwick family. In this..."
Snow in Love

"SNOW IN LOVE features four short stories that really get you into the Christmas spirit and they've also added some..."