Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Intriguing.

Intriguing and action packed.

The Story:
The country has been in a silent age for a decade after terrorists took down the grid. No computers. No TVs. But they've finally managed to figure out how to broadcast and the first image the country is supposed to see is their first family reassuring them. Instead, what they get is another terrorist attack, this time aimed directly at the people leading the country. Only Lindy escapes her family's fate thanks to Henry, a young white house secret service officer. Together, they set off into hiding and eventually begin piecing together exactly how their country fell apart... and how they can put it back together again.

What I loved:
The idea behind the story. First daughter is the only one left to save the day. It's extremely sad and the author makes us really feel for Lindy's plight. She's lost everything and is now faced with sacrificing the one thing she has left - herself.
The side characters are great, providing a wonderful backdrop to this world. I love the idea that Lindy has to travel around doing something as simple as fixing radios to connect people to each other.

What was just okay:
The ending sort of negates everything they've gone through - the struggles and the pain. It's underwhelming. There's a love triangle thrown in that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We know Lindy loves Henry. We know Henry loves Lindy. So why bother with this other guy who is kind of a jerk? It makes Lindy seem like a child the way she acts.
On the other hand, it made me empathize with Henry more.

Final Verdict: A fun romp through a broken down USA where people are forced to be strong in the face of the unimaginable. Easy and entertaining reading. Good editing. Beautiful cover.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Pirate Queen: The Legend of Grace O'Malley
A captivating retelling of the story of Grace O’Malley, the...

0.0 (0)
Let's Call It a Doomsday
There are many ways the world could end. A fire....

0.0 (0)
The moment I declared the last word, I felt a...

0.0 (0)
The Surface Breaks: A Reimagining of The Little Mermaid
Think you know the story of the Little Mermaid? Think...

0.0 (0)
Professor Renoir’s Collection of Oddities, Curiosities, and Delights
By her fourteenth birthday, Babe Killingsworth measures 6ʹ9ʺ and weighs...

0.0 (0)
The Girl Who Loved Ghosts
She’d do anything to save her friends and family. But...

0.0 (0)
#Murderfunding (#MurderTrending, #2)
WELCOME TO WHO WANTS TO BE A PAINIAC?, the latest...

0.0 (0)
Truman
After his best friend Sarah leaves for her first day...

0.0 (0)
The Day the Universe Exploded My Head: Poems to Take You into Space and Back Again
Hang on tight for a raucous bounce through the solar...

0.0 (0)
The Blue Key
Seleste is turning sixteen. A milestone birthday. A birthday that...

0.0 (0)
Fallen Empires (Cleopatra in Space #5)
Cleo goes into hiding after a mysterious death at Yasiro...

0.0 (0)
The Season
Seventeen year old Lady Alexandra is strong-willed and sharp-tongued; in...

0.0 (0)
The Exact Opposite of Okay
Eighteen-year-old Izzy O’Neill knows exactly who she is—a loyal friend,...

0.0 (0)
Girl Gone Viral
For seventeen-year-old Opal Hopper, code is magic. She builds entire...

0.0 (0)
Patron Saints of Nothing
A powerful coming-of-age story about grief, guilt, and the risks...

0.0 (0)
This Time Will Be Different
For fans of Jenny Han, Morgan Matson, and Sandhya Menon,...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Strange True Tale of Frankenstein's Creator Mary Shelley

"What worked: This is a fascinating insight into the life of the author of Frankenstein. The beginning paragraph, when Mary..."
Boots on the Ground: America's War in Vietnam

"The conflict in Vietnam was horrible, contentious, and defined the 1960s in many ways. In order to give an all-inclusive..."
Votes for Women!: American Suffragists and the Battle for the Ballot

"A candid, comprehensive, and thoroughly researched look at the long fight for women’s rights—spanning nearly a century of history while..."
Project Semicolon: Your Story Isn't Over

""Stay Strong. Love endlessly. Change lives." --Amy Bleuel This suicide and mental illness awareness collection is made..."
The Infographic Guide to College: A Visual Reference for Everything You Need to Know

"As approachable as it is pragmatic, this college primer could largely double as a bite-sized approach to post high school..."
The Book That Made Me

"The Book That Made Me' is an anthology by several authors that tells about a book that influenced their life...."
Girling Up

"What worked: Encouraging info for girls on growing up. Mayim is like that cool older sis that tells you what..."
This Is Really Happening

"I wish I could accurately put into words how much I adored This is Really Happening. I didn’t..."
How to Be You: Stop Trying to Be Someone Else and Start Living Your Life

"Before reading this I had not heard of Jeffrey Marsh, but after reading this book I can tell you that..."
Courage & Defiance: Spies, Saboteurs, and Survivors in WWII Denmark

"Immersive, impactful and informative. This non-fiction account of World War 2 takes a somewhat more alternate angle than is usual—shedding..."
Kian and Jc: Don't Try This At Home

"KIAN AND JC: DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME is exactly what fans of the YouTube stars are hoping for: some..."
I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

" “We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.” –Malala Yousafzai A momentously important..."
This Book Is Gay

"“Anyway, who gets to decide what’s “normal” and what isn’t? What a horrid, excluding word that is.” - James Dawson,..."
Animalium

"ANIMALIUM is a unique and beautifully illustrated book. Showcasing over 200 species in a museum-exhibit style, ANIMALIUM will educate young..."
Photos Framed: A Fresh Look at the World's Most Memorable Photographs

"With informative and easy to understand prose, this refreshing look at the world's most memorable photographs is a perfect choice..."
They Changed the World: Bell, Edison, and Tesla

"I learned a lot of new information about Bell, Edison, and Tesla. I always knew there was competition between inventors..."
Medical Marijuana (Issues That Concern You)

"Starting out with a personal story from a pioneer in the field of medical marijuana use, Emily Gibson, this book..."
Violence in the Media (Current Controversies)

"The Table of Contents is a great place to start in examining the content of the book. It is well-organized,..."
Living with Anxiety Disorders

"This is one of the best books about mental disorders that I've ever seen. I would highly recommend it to..."
Scared Stiff: Everything You Need to Know About 50 Famous Phobias

"Who ever thought reading a book on different phobias would be fun? SCARED STIFF uses a fun approach on..."