Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Strength in Friendship

'Without You' by Yesenia Vargas had many sweet moments. It told of a relationship between Ariana and Lucas, as well as of the friendship between Ariana and her best friend, Mayra, as well as Ariana's brother, Jimmy. These four main characters spent a lot of time together, and their parents also played a role in the story.

The relationships were told in a sweet way, even if the love between Ariana and Lucas felt a bit rushed. It was interesting to see how Lucas' ex-girlfriend, Wendy, factored into Ariana's new relationship with him, but the way she acted around her was quite different than how she was with everyone else. It tends to be true, though, that there are people who can bring out the best in you and those who can bring out the worst. Wendy seemed to be one who brought out the worst, but Ariana seemed smart enough to have been able to stand up to her in a stronger, more positive way.

The best and most strongly written relationship in the book was that between Ariana's best friend, Mayra, and Ariana's brother, Jimmy. It was nice to watch that grow, and to see how much Ariana supported it. It evolved slowly, between two people who were friends first. The truth behind this made it that much better of a plot point within the storyline.

The novel was interesting enough to keep reading, but there was quite a bit of telling and not showing within the story, which made it hard to continue at times. Many of the same words were used to explain ideas that were somewhat obvious to readers. This could have been enhanced through further description and more dialogue. As the story progressed, this began to happen more, but mostly within the last quarter of the novel. There was also the fact that Ariana's relationship with her ex-boyfriend, Carlos, was hinted at many times in terms of how hard it was for her and how she was thankfully able to get out of it, mostly unscathed. Yet, readers were not let in on what exactly happened with him. There is a prequel to this novel that tells their story for those who want to learn more about it, but incorporating some of who he was and what happened between them into 'Without You' would have been helpful in making the novel seem able to be read as a standalone, rather than an accompaniment to the prequel.

In 'Without You,' Yesenia Vargas has shown that there are some friendships meant to stand the test of time, and those that may peter out, but people can always find strength, love, and truth in each other, if they know where to look for it.

Good Points
In 'Without You,' Yesenia Vargas has shown that there are some friendships meant to stand the test of time, and those that may peter out, but people can always find strength, love, and truth in each other, if they know where to look for it.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Loneliest Girl in The Universe
A surprising and gripping sci-fi thriller with a killer twist...

0.0 (0)
Dragon-Slayers_Low Res.jpg
A reverse harem with a powerful magical heroine, a mystery...

0.0 (0)
Fire and Fairies by Kristin D Van Risseghem low resolution.jpg
Forbidden love. Agony. Heartbreak. Sidelle never wanted...

0.0 (0)
Obsidio (The Illuminae Files #3)
Kady, Ezra, Hanna, and Nik narrowly escaped with their...

0.0 (0)
I've always been the prey. All Seventeen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Ignited (Dance of the Elements, #1)
A NOBLE DAUGHTER. A FORMER SLAVE. SCORCHED EARTH AND...

0.0 (0)
Royals
Meet Daisy Winters. She’s an offbeat sixteen-year-old Floridian with...

0.0 (0)
SoulCatchers_600x900.jpg
Whoever kills the wolf becomes the wolf… ...

0.0 (0)
Bring Me Their Hearts
Zera is a Heartless – the immortal, unageing soldier...

5.0 (1)
The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik
This is Noah Oakman → sixteen, Bowie believer, concise...

3.7 (1)
Playing Her Secret Crush
All her life, Katie has been chosen last for everything:...

0.0 (0)
The Princess of Windswept (#1)
Danni is a normal teenage girl until she gets an...

0.0 (0)
Milla Takes Charge (Disney: Daring Dreamers Club #1)
Milla loves nothing more than imagining grand adventures in the...

4.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
The House of One Thousand Eyes
Who can Lena trust to help her find out the...

4.7 (1)
Where I Found You (Sea)
After her mother's plane went missing over the Indian Ocean,...

0.0 (0)
Classes are Canceled
This series is part of Scholastic's early...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl

"Lucy Callahan was struck by lightning at age 8 and became a math genius as a result. Her diagnosis is..."
Always Forever Maybe

"It isn't always easy to love a book that talks about a dark subject, but Rissi captivated me with her..."
The Loneliest Girl in The Universe

"What worked: This is one of those books you can't put down! I literally stayed up until the early morning..."
Milla Takes Charge (Disney: Daring Dreamers Club #1)

"MILLA TAKES CHARGE by Erin Soderberg is the first in a new series from Disney and Random House Children's Books..."

""Pretties" is a continuation of the Uglies series where Tally Youngblood has now returned to the city and become a..."
Bring Me Their Hearts

""Bring Me Their Hearts" was a fantastic YA fantasy that I wish I could give more than 5 stars to!..."
Fawkes

""Fawkes" is a YA historical fantasy that sounds so interesting! Unfortunately, I could not get into it. In this alternate..."
Fireblood (Frostblood #2)

""Fireblood" was a pretty good continuation of the Frostblood Saga. While the first book took place in the land of..."
Thief of Lies

"“Thief of Lies” is the first in the Library Jumpers series. It had me hooked at the start but lost..."
The Waking Land

"“The Waking Land” is an enthralling YA fantasy that follows Elanna Valtai. The prologue shows us Elanna’s nightmares over the..."
The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles #1)

""The Adoration of Jenna Fox" is the story of a teenager who wakes up from a coma without any memories..."
Zombie Abbey

""Zombie Abbey" is Downton Abbey with zombies (and characters names changed). Although it's been a while since I watched Downton..."
Heartless

""Heartless" is the origin story for the Queen of Hearts (of Alice in Wonderland fame). Catherine, destined to be the..."
All The Crooked Saints

""All the Crooked Saints" is YA fiction with a heavy dose of magical realism. The Soria family lives in Bicho..."
Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

""Beastly" is a beautiful and amazing story of second chances, the importance of who you are within, and love. A..."
Don't Look Back

""Don't Look Back" is a one-off thriller from Jennifer L. Armentrout. It begins with Samantha appearing bloody and beat up..."
Seven Days of You

""Seven Days of You" follows Sophia during her last week in Tokyo, where she has lived for the last four..."
When the Moon Was Ours

""When the Moon was Ours" is a hauntingly beautiful and lyrical masterpiece. McLemore is an incredible storyteller. The words do..."
Finding Audrey

"I think this is one of Kinsella's finest books. There is so much heart, struggle, and soul to this book...."
Reclaiming Shilo Snow

""Reclaiming Shilo Snow" is an even better continuation of "The Evaporation of Sofi Snow" duology. All the story lines are..."