Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Interesting and original

The story:
Jayashree is insane. At least that’s what the staff at the psychiatric hospital have been telling her for the past five years. But when a stranger with peculiar gifts arrives at the hospital and helps her escape she quickly learns her ability to dream while awake doesn’t make her crazy, it makes her a Mara.
As she learns to control her gifts with the help of her rescuer Harvey, Jay soon discovers there is more to being a Mara than creating nightmares. Does she have what it takes to fulfil her destiny?

What I loved:
The first chapter was full of intrigue and interesting characters drawing me in straight away. It was an original story and I enjoyed learning about the world of the Mara.

What was just okay:
The first few chapters may have drawn me in but at times I did feel the story was quite slow. It took a while for anything exciting to happen and Jay could be quite annoying, especially when she developed feelings for Harvey’s brother when they’d only met a couple of times. But, her school girl behaviour only made me care and root for Harvey.

Final Verdict:
This was a great kick off to a very interesting and original series. Now that the story has been built and set, I expect the next book will be much faster paced and I look forward to watching Jayashree grow as a Mara.

Good Points
Interesting storyline.
Great opening chapter.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Takedown
Mikayla is a wrestler; when you grow up in a...

0.0 (0)
Monica the Marshmallow Fairy: A Rainbow Magic Book (The Sweet Fairies #1)
Join Rachel and Kirsty on their sweetest-ever fairy adventure! ...

0.0 (0)
Stanley Will Probably Be Fine
Nobody knows comics trivia like Stanley knows comics trivia. ...

0.0 (0)
Bow Wow: A Bowser and Birdie Novel (#3)
A bull shark in the swamp? No one in the...

0.0 (0)
Scream and Scream Again
R.L. Stine—the godfather of Goosebumps—and some of the most popular...

0.0 (0)
Courage
Ever since T’Shawn’s dad died, his mother has been struggling...

0.0 (0)
The Cardboard Kingdom
Welcome to a neighborhood of kids who transform ordinary boxes...

0.0 (0)
Remy Sneakers and the Lost Treasure (Remy Sneakers #2)
Someone has ransacked Remy's home and stolen his prized possession,...

0.0 (0)
Judy Moody Was in a Mood (Judy Moody #1)
"Judy Moody was in a mood. Not a good mood....

0.0 (0)
Halfway to Happily Ever After (The Wish List #3)
Happily Ever After? Not so fast! ...

0.0 (0)
Perfectly Popular (The Wish Fairy #3)
With just four wishes left from her fairy friend Calla,...

0.0 (0)
Boots on the Ground: America's War in Vietnam
America's war in Vietnam. In over a decade of bitter...

0.0 (0)
The Elephant Thief
When young pickpocket Danny accidentally buys an elephant at an...

0.0 (0)
Stu Truly
Stu Truly is the coming-of-age story of 12-year-old Stu as...

0.0 (0)
Class Action
NO. MORE. HOMEWORK. That’s what...

0.0 (0)
Whathisface
When 12-year-old Cooper Vega moves for the third time in...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

A Thousand Salt Kisses

""A Thousand Salt Kisses" is the story of a young woman named Crystal who meets (later discovered to be) a..."
A Mortal Song

"Sora has been raised by the kami in Mt. Fuji and enjoys her life with her parents and her best..."
Below Northern Lights

" Lucas Santiago is injured war veteran and as a result of his injuries, has ended up in..."
22 Scars

"Amy leads a tortured life. She has a monster for a father and a distant mother. Amy self-harms and has..."
Karina

"Karina is that rare book that both instructs and delights. In this captivating young adult novel, the reader sees the..."
Karina

" I want to re-read it already!"
Famous by Default

"Sivan has spent years bouncing around the foster care system, experiencing one traumatic emotional trial after another until she can..."
The Wing Collector

"Feedback The Wing Collector by Kristin Helving was a very enjoyable read! This was a very interesting approach to..."
Emerge: The Judgment (Book 2)

"Feedback Emerge: The Judgement was a great second entry to this series. I had some issues with the first..."
We Thought We Were Invincible

"The story: California “Callie” McCoy is a typical teenager in many ways: unsure of her future, struggles to fit..."

"Please feel free to leave a comment or question, I'll get right back to you with a response. thank you...."
The Last First Daughter

"Intriguing and action packed. The Story: The country has been in a silent age for a decade after terrorists..."
Meant To Be Broken

"*I was given an e-galley.* Brandy Woods Snow is a wonderfully talented writer and plotter! This story has a..."
Meant To Be Broken

"Aw yes, transparency. I’m but one of her brutal critique partners and friends. Will this book capture you..."
Meant To Be Broken

"I COULD NOT STOP READING THIS BOOK! I fell in love with all the characters and secretly plotted the death..."
Watcher

"The story: Sawyer is an orphaned girl who lives in a world not unlike that of the Terminator movies,..."
Savage Beauty

"SAVAGE BEAUTY is a dark twist on the classic fairytale Sleeping Beauty. Aura and Luna are sisters, but they're the..."
Challenge Accepted

"CHALLENGE ACCEPTED alternates POV between the nerdy Emma and the popular Logan. After messing up Emma's chances at a summer..."
Soul Catchers

"When her mom is attacked by a wolf, Wren has no choice but to use her magic to try to..."
The Last First Game

"Lila has everything going for her and she's on the path to be a doctor. At least that's what people..."