Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Enchanting Fantasy

I went into this novel not knowing what to expect at all. Thankfully, I was happily surprised! The Dream Traveler is the first book of the The Cardonian Chronicles by Katherine LaFleur, and it is definitely a strong start!

This book does not start off slowly. As soon as you start it you’re thrown into this new world without explanation, and then everything is explained to you as you go. I actually preferred this instead of having information dumps without anything happening.

The story takes place in Cardonia, a land that is filled with extraordinary people. Everyone in Cardonia has a power, and not just the typical ones you’d read from in other books. However, not everyone with powers is accepted, or was. Many centuries ago, the ones who had the gift of telepathy were exiled from Cardonia and now their spirits are coming to make everyone pay.

I always love it when authors are willing to make their characters unlikable at moments, because the truth is that no one is perfect and that characters can be complex. They can make mistakes, despite being an overall good character. In this case, Raven, the main character was not always lovable and at times could be a bit childish, but it was clear that she is still growing and learning. This journey that she takes throughout the story definitely made the character grow, but I’m excited to see more development in the coming books.

Final thoughts?

This book is just packed with so much, from the characters to the overall story. It’s pretty much impossible to get bored in a book like this. Nothing is 100% certain throughout the whole story, you don’t know what will happen and who’s lives are at risk or aren’t. By the end of the book you’ll be dying to get all the answers… but just a warning, if you read this book you’ll probably be dying to start the next one!

It’s a great fantasy overall and I definitely would suggest giving it a try :)

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Autoboyography
Fangirl meets Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda in this...

0.0 (0)
The Infographic Guide to College: A Visual Reference for Everything You Need to Know
For fans of the popular Show Me How series, this...

0.0 (0)
The Hanging Girl
Skye Thorn has given tarot card readings for years, and...

0.0 (0)
BanThisBook.jpg
You’re Never Too Young to Fight Censorship! ...

0.0 (0)
Eight Days on Planet Earth
How long does it take to travel twenty light years...

0.0 (0)
The Princess in Black Takes a Vacation
Even monster-battling princesses get tired sometimes! But a peaceful time...

0.0 (0)
Refugee.jpg
JOSEF is a Jewish boy living in 1930s Nazi Germany....

0.0 (0)
SwingitSunnyjpg
Summer's over and it's time for Sunny Lewin to enter...

0.0 (0)
TheWitchBoy.jpg
In thirteen-year-old Aster's family, all the girls are raised to...

0.0 (0)
Let's Investigate with Nate #1: The Water Cycle
Bill Nye the Science Guy meets The Magic School Bus!...

0.0 (0)
The 12 Dares of Christa
Christa is a holiday junkie. What’s not to love? There’s...

0.0 (0)
Frazzled: Ordinary Mishaps and Inevitable Catastrophes
Things are looking up for Abbie Wu: this year she’ll...

0.0 (0)
The Tiger's Watch (Ashes of Gold #1)
Sixteen-year-old Tashi has spent their life training as a...

0.0 (0)
Blight
Seventeen-year-old Tempest Torres has lived on the AgraStar farm...

0.0 (0)
See Fred Run
Learning to read has never been more fun than it...

0.0 (0)
Solo
From award-winning and New York Times bestselling author Kwame...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Flowers for Sarajevo

"Haunting and hopeful. The bombing one of the last working bakeries in the city of Sarajevo might have been..."
Charlie Bumpers vs. His Big Blabby Mouth

"Charlie's class is having Career Week, and parents are coming in to talk to students about their jobs. In typical..."
Leo: Dog of the Sea

"Leo is a ratter on board the Trinidad, the lead ship in an armada on a journey to the Spice..."
Zebra on the Go

"ZEBRA ON THE GO was an overall well put together book. The rhyming had me hanging on each line. The..."
Prince Ribbit

"'Prince Ribbit,' written by Jonathan Emmett and illustrated by Poly Bernatene, is a splendid story with an interesting and all-too-true..."
King & Kayla and the Case of the Secret Code (King and Kayla #2)

"Kayla and her friend Mason both get mysterious letters dropped off on their porches. King can figure out right away..."
King & Kayla and the Case of the Missing Dog Treats (King and Kayla #1)

"King loves his human girl, Kayla, especially when she makes him peanut butter dog treats, his FAVORITE food! He sits..."
Outside Shot

"Richie's forte is as a shooter-- he spent a lot of time as a youngster shooting hoops in his driveway,..."
Loveykins

"What immediately drew me to this book was the cover. Quentin Blake’s drawings are so distinct and beautiful that I..."
About Marine Mammals: A guide for Children

"About Marine Mammals is a beautifully illustrated and educational book, perfect for school libraries. Or if you have a curious..."
Oceans (About Habitats)

"About Habitats is such a beautifully illustrated and interesting book. If you have a curious child who enjoys learning about..."
A Friend for Mole

"Mole is happy in his dark, cozy burrow, but when he hears commotion overhead, he ventures outside to find out..."
The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl

"The Adventures of Cinnamon Girl came out several years ago, and I’m sad to not have known about this masterpiece..."
The Garden of My Imaan

"What I Loved: I’m used to seeing most MG and YA Muslim rep in the form of Arab Muslims, but..."
I Am Tama, Lucky Cat: A Japanese Legend

"Beautiful illustrations and lyrical prose tell the legend of the "maneki neko" or lucky cat of Japanese folklore. ..."
Little Red

"Little Red is such an amazing illustrated story about the classic tale about Little Red Riding Hood. I have been..."
Child of Spring

"Basanta lives in a village in India, surrounded by friends and family. She works for a young mistress who has..."
Stanley's Diner

"STANLEY’S DINER by William Bee is the kind of book that reminds me of days when my son was just..."
The Theory of Everything

"When I think of this title, I think of Eddie Redmayne. But let's face it. This book has nothing to..."
Stay! A Top Dog Story

"If you are a dog owner, a dog lover, or just have a child obsessed with getting a pup, then..."