Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Futuristic Tale

This story surprised me. Once I started reading, I wanted to know where this premise would take me. This book has so much to offer. There’s action, suspense, cool futuristic gadgets, and even some romance. All of this is set on Mars in the future. Retribution is the second book in The Pack series. I didn’t read the first book and at first had a hard time on understanding the motivation behind Shamira's revenge. Later though this question is answered.

Shamira is a complex seventeen-year-old of the future. She’s tough on the outside to those who follow her but has her sweet side too. She struggles with being close to others especially after she feels there is a plot to hurt not just her but the ones around her. Think a teen Nikita.

Action-packed sequences keep the reader following Shamira. And those futuristic gadgets are amazing. GPS watches that show locations in 3D; flat-metal looking discs that would make Spiderman jealous, and head gear that lets you communicate telepathically with others.

The romance between Shamira and Valen at first felt over the top but later I could understand the conflict between these two. Though I did wonder if a guy would keep coming back after being pushed off. But that’s just me.

The banter between Shamira and her family flowed great. The dialogue between them was punchy. This also helps readers get a glimpse of a side of Shamira that is hidden.

The descriptions of gaming hell, dream drugs, and a drug that is used to rehabilitate criminals really added to this story. Preston doesn't use unnecessary details but rather moves this story along with the action, dialogue, and a kick butt protagonist.

This is one of those stories that deserves a read.

Good Points
1. Intriguing premise
2. Action-packed writing
3. Cool futuristic gadgets
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Sky in the Deep
A 2018 Most Anticipated Young Adult book that is...

5.0 (1)
Devils Unto Dust
Keep together. Keep your eyes open. Keep your wits...

0.0 (0)
All The Things We Lost
After her mother’s death, eighteen-year-old Katie finds herself in...

0.0 (0)
White Rabbit
Caleb Roehrig, author of Last Seen Leaving, delivers another...

0.0 (0)
The Worst Fairy Godmother Ever!
Q: What do you need to become a great fairy...

0.0 (0)
Ada: Aegis Default
Newly famous and burdened with responsibility, Ada Anand has to...

0.0 (0)
Ada: Solstice Volition
When Ada Anand is given a very special gift for...

0.0 (0)
Drum Roll, Please
Find the confidence to rock out to your own beat...

0.0 (0)
Ignite
Four strangers. Four powerful elements. To survive a ruthless...

5.0 (1)
Winter Glass (Spindle Fire #2)
A curse comes undone. A kingdom shatters. But some...

0.0 (0)
Everless (Everless #1)
In the kingdom of Sempera, time is currency—extracted from blood,...

0.0 (0)
Lifeline
Popular high school senior Eli Ross has the perfect life....

0.0 (0)
Would you risk it all for love? A high-ranking official’s...

0.0 (0)
Kristen McDonald has dreamed of being crowned prom queen for...

0.0 (0)
FRANKIE FRETINI has had a horrible year. And, just when...

0.0 (0)
Jackson and Samantha live modestly in a small apartment in...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Lucky Enough

"Trey is very reliant on his good luck charm; a piece of deep blue sea glass that his grandmother game..."
The First Rule of Punk

"When Malu's (Maria Luisa) mother gets a two year visiting professorship in Chicago, she has to leave her father and..."
Skeleton Tree

"Stanly's life is difficult-- his father has moved out, and his mother is trying hard to make ends meet as..."
Pugs and Kisses

"Ana is glad to help out her neighbor, Mrs. Ramirez, by walking her pug, Osito. Ana's parents won't let her..."
A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic #1)

"Leo (Leonora) is tired of being the youngest of five girls, all of whom get to work at their mother's..."
Clayton Byrd Goes Underground

"A stirring, tuneful tale of familial ties—those that bind and those that constrain. This contemporary Middle Grade book..."
Superstar

"Lester's father was an astronaut who was killed during a mission, so he has been raised and home schooled by..."
Wedgie & Gizmo

"Wedgie is a corgi who belongs to Jasmine, Jackson and their mother, who has just married Elliot's dad. Since Elliot..."
Twintuition: Double Dare

" Cassie and Caitlyn are still getting used to having magical powers, and it seems like they may be splitting..."
Charlie Bumpers vs. His Big Blabby Mouth

"Charlie's class is having Career Week, and parents are coming in to talk to students about their jobs. In typical..."
One Good Thing About America

"Anais and her mother and brother Jean-Claud have moved to the United States from Congo, leaving behind her father, Oma,..."
Who Let the Gods Out?

" Hilarious and Heartwarming- a fun read from beginning to the end! Maz Evans is reminiscent of Roald Dahl in..."
For This Life Only

"Happy Easter Sunday! well, it's Monday already, but oh well! I'm so happy about this book! let me dive..."
Iceling (Icelings #1)

"This was a quirky fast paced, read. To truly enjoy Iceling, the reader has to suspend some of their thoughts..."
The Catalyst

"The Catalyst is one of those rare, incredible books that happens to have a story as beautiful as the cover!..."
Let's Pretend We Never Met

" Mattie is not thrilled to have to move from North Carolina to Phildelphia over winter break, even though it..."
Ghosts

"When Catrina and her family move to get better treatment for her sister, Maya, she isn’t too happy. Cat doesn’t..."
Long Way Home (Thunder Road #3)

"Long Way Home by Katie McGarry is a spectacular addition to the Thunder Road series and my favorite yet. It's..."
Long Way Home (Thunder Road #3)

" Long Way Home by Katie McGarry is a riveting, engaging novel about love and war,..."
Mrs. Moody and the Birthday Jinx

"Judy's mother's birthday never ends well. This year, Judy is determined to make her mother's birthday a success. She instructs..."