Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Plot/Story 

Illustrations (if applicable) 

N/A
Characters (if applicable) 

Editing/Design Quality 

Great Middle-grade Treasure Hunt

‘Keys to the Sun’ tells the adventures of two brothers, Lucas and Parker Chase. They are in New Orléans to visit a family friend ‘Aunt Ruby’. While there they and a new friend, Nicole(Cole), find a map that leads them on a treasure hunt around the French Quarter.
What I loved

What Left Me Wanting More

First off, this book read like a middle-grade novel but with there were a few words that would be inappropriate for this target age. The clues and the treasure hunt around the city left me often confused. The descriptions of the layout of ‘Twilight Oaks’ was very intricate and really didn’t add much to the story. I also didn’t understand how the kids figured out many of the clues they found.
I was not at all ready for the paranormal elements of the story. They felt out-of-place and as if they were part of another book. I would have enjoyed the story more if the paranormal elements were just left out.
The clueless and self-absorbed behavior of Parker and Lucas’ parents made little sense to me. They never seemed to care much what their teenagers were up to. I also just never really understood ‘Aunt Ruby’s’ behavior throughout the story.

My Final Verdict

‘Keys to the Sun’ explores a fresh and interesting premise of a treasure hunt in NOLA. The story has a fascinating premise and incorporates some great NOLA history into the adventure.

Good Points
I loved the idea of a hidden map that gives clues to a hidden treasure. I also loved that the story incorporated a lot of New Orléans history. An example of this is the haunting story of the casket girls who arrived in the city with casket trunks and then promptly disappeared.
I found the prose well done and easy to read. I did also love the characters of Cole, Parker, and Lucas and I loved brother’s interaction with each other.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Missing Easter Bunny (Pikmi Pops)
The Pikmi Pops have their own Easter egg hunt --...

0.0 (0)
Emmet Gets Tough (The LEGO Movie 2: Storybook with Stickers)
A storybook based on The LEGO(R) MOVIE 2(TM), as told...

0.0 (0)
It's Pool Time! (Clifford)
Clifford and Emily Elizabeth are spending a day at the...

0.0 (0)
Spring Babies (Babies in the Park)
An endearing board book with adorable babies on the go...

0.0 (0)
Making Bombs for Hitler
For readers who were enthralled by Alan Gratz's Prisoner B-3087...

0.0 (0)
Dear Boy,
Dear Boy, is an open love letter to the special...

0.0 (0)
I Need a Hug
In I Need a Hug, a tiny porcupine just wants...

0.0 (0)
Beyond the Sixth Extinction: A Post-Apocalyptic Pop-Up
Whether or not we know it, the sixth global extinction...

0.0 (0)
Giant Tess
Tess has a BIG problem. ...

0.0 (0)
The Girl The Sea Gave Back
The new gut-wrenching epic from the New York Times bestselling...

0.0 (0)
The Kingdom of Copper
S. A. Chakraborty continues the sweeping adventure begun in The...

0.0 (0)
Colorblind
Colorblind: A Story of Racism is the third in a...

0.0 (0)
40776737.jpg
An original young adult novel of the Alien universe ...

0.0 (0)
The Dark Beneath the Ice
Something is wrong with Marianne. ...

0.0 (0)
Scream Site
Sabrina Sebastian's goal in life is to be an investigative...

0.0 (0)
RUNAWAYS. ROMANCE. A ROCK & ROLL ROAD TRIP. ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Blood Spell

"Based loosely on the tale of Cinderella, The Blood Spell is the fourth standalone installment for the Ravenspire series of..."
The Blood Spell

"Blue de la Cour enjoys her quiet life with her father, passing the days by working in the shop and..."
The Shadow Queen

""The Shadow Queen" is a fantastic retelling of Snow White. Lorelai is a young princess when her mother does and..."
The Princess and the Packet of Frozen Peas

"Prince Henrik wants to marry a princess, until he discovers how sensitive they really are. Instead, Prince Henrik realizes he..."
Nightbooks

"Alex describes himself as a kid who plays with "what ifs" while other kids are playing with dogs, and that..."
Towering

""Towering" is the retelling of Rapunzel. It begins when Wyatt is sent from NYC by his mother to live with..."
A Court of Wings and Ruin

"Overall, this was a really fantastic finish to Feyre and Rhys's story. I loved the exploration of the world we..."
The Worst Fairy Godmother Ever!

"Isabelle is a fairy-godmother-in-training and is so nervous that she's going to wind up being terrible like her mother was...."
Sugar and Spice (Whatever After #10)

"Abby and Jonah take another trip through their magic mirror after being told their grounded from technology. This time, it..."
The Traitor Prince

"A twisted dark tale of The Prince and the Pauper. The third installment of the Ravenspire series was by far..."
The Shadow Queen

"This is the retelling of Snow White. A story about a young girl is on a quest to reclaim her..."
Sleeping Beauty, the One Who Took the Really Long Nap

"SLEEPING BEAUTY: THE ONE WHO TOOK THE REALLY LONG NAP is the second book in Wendy's Twice Upon A Time..."
The Traitor Prince

"An adventurous, accessible YA fantasy—with likely appeal for fans of An Ember In The Ashes. Based loosely on an..."
The Traitor Prince

"THE TRAITOR PRINCE is the latest installment in C.J. Redwine’s series of companion novels set in the Ravenspire world, each..."
Mother Cary's Butter Knife (Shadows & Light)

"I have never heard of this author or these books and I am so amazed that I haven’t. Not only..."
Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After Special Edition)

"This had several interesting twists for this series. I did enjoy the fact that the difference between a fairy tale..."
Book of Fire

"Book of Fire is a fast paced and action packed debut that dystopian fans will not want to miss. ..."
Genie in a Bottle (Whatever After #9)

"In the WHATEVER AFTER SERIES, brother and sister Abby and Jonah have a magical mirror in their basement. The fairy..."
A Court of Wings and Ruin

"Alright warning time. As with most books that I read, this has been labeled problematic. Though this one is completely..."
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)

"Fairytale retellings are notoriously difficult to pull off – at least so far as this reader is concerned – but..."