Review Detail

Young Adult Nonfiction
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Where was this book when I was a kid?

The Confidence Code for Girls is an empowering read every girl should have in their arsenal. So many girls struggle with confidence, learning to cope with being a woman in a world hell bent on making them feel like they are never good enough, pretty enough or smart enough.
I remember finally learning “the lesson” when I was in my twenties. This “lesson” is something every girl eventually gets—learning to be comfortable in her own skin. I wasted a lot of years failing to see that I was just who I needed to be all along. But that was the 90s and books like this one didn’t exist yet.
The Confidence Code deals with every possible topic a young girl will face on her journey to learn that lesson. From building great friendships and avoiding toxic ones, learning to navigate the pitfalls of the world of social media, to dealing with the desire to be perfect in every way, Kay and Shipman really tackle it all and they do it in a way that will inspire girls to become strong and confident women.
I did find the interior design of the book to be a little over the top. It’s cute and fun with lots of graphics, cartoons and decorative fonts, but as a whole, it felt a bit like “everything but the kitchen sink” was included in regards to the design of the book.
At an age when asking for help is often difficult, every young girl should have a guidebook such as this one to reach for in times of need. I would highly recommend The Confidence Code for Girls to girls ages 7-10. The publisher recommends ages 8 to 12, but the voice and tone of the book scales a bit younger than that, and some older girls might not benefit as much from the material as those on the younger end of that spectrum.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Out of Place
When twelve-year-old Cove Bernstein becomes the target of a school-wide...

0.0 (0)
Salvation Day
A lethal virus is awoken on an abandoned spaceship in...

0.0 (0)
The Startup Squad (The Startup Squad, #1)
Girls mean business in a brand-new middle grade series about...

0.0 (0)
A Possibility of Whales
Twelve-year-old Natalia Rose Baleine Gallagher has to move, again. ...

0.0 (0)
Peppa in Space (Peppa Pig)
Get ready for a Peppa Pig story that's out of...

0.0 (0)
The Stars We Steal
Engagement season is in the air. Eighteen-year-old Princess Leonie “Leo”...

0.0 (0)
Pete the Cat and the Itsy Bitsy Spirder
Pete the Cat’s cool adaptation of the classic children’s song...

0.0 (0)
Superlative Birds
Explore the fascinating world of superlative birds―from the bee hummingbird,...

0.0 (0)
In Another Life
Chloe was three years old when she became Chloe Holden,...

0.0 (0)
Even Monsters Go To School
What’s a school day like for you? ...

0.0 (0)
Can Cat and Bird Be Friends
In a sweet and clever picture book from debut author-illustrator...

0.0 (0)
Origami Bible Stories For Kids
Perfect for Sunday school lessons and youth group activities--paper figures...

0.0 (0)
Pig the Stinker
In this hilarious adventure, Pig the Pug STINKS! Pig likes...

0.0 (0)
Little Rabbit Lost
It is Little Rabbit’s birthday and his family surprises him...

0.0 (0)
Cece Loves Science and Adventure
Cece loves science and adventure! ...

0.0 (0)
Hannah Sparkles: Hooray For the First Day of School
Cheer along with Hannah Sparkles on her first day of...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Falling For My Nemesis

"This book was so good. The Story: Mia and Carson have always hated each other. As Carson's brother's best..."
The F Word (Redefining Me book 1)

"Some books hit you right in the feels (or a bit lower). This is one of them. In the..."
Above The Star

""Though reminiscent of beloved fantasies -- think A Wrinkle in Time meets The Princess Bride -- Above the Star is..."

"I'm not going to lie, I was a bit skeptical when I started this book. As someone in a wheelchair,..."
My Virtual Prince Charming

"Luke is one of the popular crowd, but he has a nerdy secret. He loves to play the online game..."
Oath Taker

"OATH TAKER starts out super intriguing. As the reader, you’re immediately pulled into a world of light and dark magic,..."

"The story: Peyton has lost so much over the past eighteen months. Her brother passed away in a horrible accident,..."
Catching Ivy

"Feedback There are certain things I don’t like in books. Insta-love and perfect plans out of nowhere - just to..."
We Thought We Were Invincible

"Callie is trying to survive high school and get out of her small Florida town. When her best friend moves..."
A Straw Man

"n the third and final installment in the ‘The Clay Lion’ trilogy, Charlie’s little sister Melody takes her own trip..."
The Girl with Seven Wishes

"After helping her sister Lalana escape with her true love, Zadie must face the consequences. The new sultan of Astaran..."

"I’ve been a big fan of both Craven and MacQueen for many years so when I heard they were collaborating..."
What He Hides

"Fans of Karen McManus will enjoy the twists and turns in WHAT HE HIDES. When Lauren’s mom becomes the..."
Two Like Me and You

"TWO LIKE ME AND YOU is a laugh-out-loud, heartwarming story that fans of John Green will adore. Edwin gets..."
Twelfth Knight

"This story kept me engaged from the first page to the last. The Story: Violet is a new student..."
Tin Men

"In this continuation of the ‘Clay Lion’ series, Brooke’s boyfriend Charlie takes his own journey into his past and in..."
Annihilation (New Bloods)

"What an end to a pulse-pounding series! Annihilation by Michelle Bryan is the final book in the New Bloods Trilogy..."
Mastery of Earth (Legends of the Tri-Gard Book 3)

"Absolutely blown away!!! Fantastic ending to a fantastic series! Mastery of Earth by Michelle Bryan & M. Lynn is the..."
Ascension (New Bloods Book 2)

"Ascension picks up just a few weeks after the events of Awaken. Tara is trying to learn more about her..."
Awaken New Bloods

"Awaken by Michelle Bryan is the story of a young woman, just turned 18 living in a world after “The..."