Review Detail

Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Long-reaching Implications of WWII

Adolf Eichmann orchestrated the removal of thousands of Jews to concentration camps, where many met their deaths. He managed to justify his role in this by saying that he didn't actually kill anyone; he just moved people around. It's one thing to do bad things; it strikes me as especially evil to deny to yourself that they were evil. This might also help explain why Eichmann left Germany, moved to Argentina, and tried to live anonymously and escape retribution.

The investigation into where Eichmann was and the planning involved to find him and extradite him to stand trial for war crimes was quite the undertaking, and was a lengthy and harrowing process. I was amazed at the level of detailed planning that had to be done just to get him on a plane and get him to Germany. The book doesn't stint on these details, which shows that a huge amount of research went into this. While readers who want to know everything about WWII will read this for pleasure, it is also an excellent resource for students who want to take their historic obsession a bit further and do a research project on Eichmann's fate.

Good Points
In this narrative non-fiction book, there is a lot to learn about the various atrocities performed by the Nazis and how they were orchestrated, but the hunt for Eichmann also makes this read like a spy thriller novel. I was a little unsure whether this was fiction or not-- it is definitely written in an older non-fiction style that adheres to the facts while dramatizing them. There are lots of pictures to illustrate the events being discussed, a list of important players in the events, an index, and copious footnotes.

The level of detail in The Nazi Hunters will please the most discerning reader of World War II books. While I was familiar with some of what was going on, there were so many other issues about which I had never heard. There are not as many books for younger readers that discuss what happened to people accused of war crimes as there are books about the fighting, although we are seeing a few like McCormick's The plot to kill Hitler : Dietrich Bonhoeffer : pastor, spy, unlikely hero. It's good for readers interested in this topic to know that the ramifications of WWII didn't end exactly on September 2, 1945.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Professor Renoir’s Collection of Oddities, Curiosities, and Delights
By her fourteenth birthday, Babe Killingsworth measures 6ʹ9ʺ and weighs...

0.0 (0)
#Murderfunding (#MurderTrending, #2)
WELCOME TO WHO WANTS TO BE A PAINIAC?, the latest...

0.0 (0)
Truman
After his best friend Sarah leaves for her first day...

0.0 (0)
The Day the Universe Exploded My Head: Poems to Take You into Space and Back Again
Hang on tight for a raucous bounce through the solar...

0.0 (0)
Fallen Empires (Cleopatra in Space #5)
Cleo goes into hiding after a mysterious death at Yasiro...

0.0 (0)
The Season
Seventeen year old Lady Alexandra is strong-willed and sharp-tongued; in...

0.0 (0)
The Exact Opposite of Okay
Eighteen-year-old Izzy O’Neill knows exactly who she is—a loyal friend,...

0.0 (0)
Girl Gone Viral
For seventeen-year-old Opal Hopper, code is magic. She builds entire...

0.0 (0)
Patron Saints of Nothing
A powerful coming-of-age story about grief, guilt, and the risks...

0.0 (0)
This Time Will Be Different
For fans of Jenny Han, Morgan Matson, and Sandhya Menon,...

0.0 (0)
My Ideal Boyfriend is a Croissant
This honest, laugh-out-loud novel brimming with body positivity, bite-sized nuggets...

0.0 (0)
Carnival Catastrophe (The Problim Children, #2)
All siblings are capable of magic if they stick together....

0.0 (0)
As Far as the Stars
Christopher is the sort of guy that no one...

0.0 (0)
The Virtue of Sin
Miriam lives in New Jerusalem, a haven in the...

0.0 (0)
OverRun (The OverRuled Series, book 2)
TWO LIVES BOUND BY ONE LIE. Magic has consequences—...

0.0 (0)
Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
Eighteen-year-old Gu Miyoung has a secret--she's a gumiho, a...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

The Wild Queen: The Days and Nights of Mary Queen of Scots

SamSam
"The Wild Queen is another Carolyn Meyer historical fiction. I have read a few of her other Young Royal books..."
Walking with Dinosaurs: A Reusable Sticker Book

"A fun addition to any dinosaur lovers book collection. This book, full of reusable stickers, is based on the..."
Enchanted

"there's a sequel coming, with Sunday's sister, Saturday!"
The Twice Lost (The Lost Voices Trilogy #3)

"The story of a brave and sweet mermaid, Luce, who wants to change the ways of her fellow mermaids from..."
Waking Storms (The Lost Voices Trilogy #2)

" Finally, a sequel that didn't disappoint! I've been having some serious issues with sequels lately, so I'm..."
Enchanted

"Enchanted is, like its namesake, enchanted. In the beginning, I hadn't really known what to expect from Enchanted. I..."
Illuminate (Gilded Wings #1)

"I, like many others, took the time to read some of the reviews posted by other readers. Even though the..."
The Wicked and the Just

"I only had a vague idea of what this book was about and I wanted it that way. This book..."
Tyger Tyger (Goblin Wars #1)

"I've grown to love books that are fairy tale like. Anything passed down from mythology has me instantly hooked! This..."

"Haven Terra is the stereotypical high school girl who is constantly overlooked. In fact, everything about her is ordinary—other..."
Blind Spot

"I've been tricked! Bamboozled! Played! *goes to look up other synonyms for tricked* Cheated! Conned! Deceived! Duped! Flimflammed (that's my..."
Tyger Tyger (Goblin Wars #1)

"What I loved most about this story was the way each character is so clearly different from one another. This..."

"Aaaand, huge sigh of relief/accomplishment. Illuminate is one hefty book and I was really afraid to start it because I..."
Enchanted

"I adored this book. It's no secret that I love fairy tales. But do you know how few retellings..."
Enchanted

"I have read quite a few fairy-tale re-tellings this year and it was a very pleasant experience.All of them were..."
Hound Dog True

"I truly wish that I had been able to read Hound Dog True as a child. Linda Urban's writing is..."
Enchanted

"I do love my fairy-tale stories and when I come across a retelling of not one fairy-tale, but a few..."
Populazzi

"Likely, you have discerned that there are in fact myriad ways in which this little scheme could go south, and..."
The Wicked and the Just

" The first thing that struck me about this book was what a complete brat Cecily is. I guess this..."
Ladies in Waiting

"Ladies in Waiting is set during the reign of Charles II. What the book has taught me about history is..."