Review Detail

Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

Great Background for National Museum of African American History and Culture

Cottman, a reporter for the Washington Post and an avid SCUBA diver, was intrigued when he learned about the Henrietta Marie, whose artifacts identified it as a slave trading ship. Little was known about the ship, so Cottman set out to find out everything that he could. He started in London, at the National Maritime Museum, and started to collect clues to various aspects of the ship's history. He traveled to the site of the foundry where the cannons were made, which lead him to investigate the Barbados holdings of the owner of that land, "Mad Jack" Fuller. Traveling to Barbados put him in touch with other Fullers-- who were black, since slaves often took the family name of their masters. He learned a lot about the sugar industry there (which is beautifully covered in Aronson and Budhos's Sugar Changed the World: The Story of Magic, Spice, Slavery, Freedom and Science), and eventually made his way to Senegal and the House of Slaves where the ship's journey would have started.

Good Points
Written in a very conversational style but filled with lots of interesting facts about a variety of details related to slave trading, sailing, and scuba diving, Shackles from the Deep offers an in depth look at a little discussed topic. This would be a great book to read with students to prepare them to visit the new National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C., since the exhibits start with an in depth examination of this topic.

All too often, the story of slavery seems to start with the Civil War or slaves' attempts at escape. I know that many of my students were very surprised by the exhibits on the slave ships. Cottman's book addresses the fact that people were taken from their communities in Africa and sent as slaves to a number of places in a way that is not overly graphic but that does delineate just how inhuman this action was. This strikes a good balance for a book that might well introduce this atrocious chapter in history to children.

There are some color photos in the center of the book. While these pictures are illustrative, it would have been nice to see them included with the appropriate text instead of gathered in one place. I was a bit surprised at this; National Geographic has produced some beautiful and enticing nonfiction books with many more pictures that are more graphically pleasing. I know that cost is an issue in these, but using more pictures does make books more appealing to young readers.

Shackles from the Deep is an essential purchase for middle school and high school libraries, since it covers a variety of topics that are often studied, and is an excellent choice for readers who like converstaional nonfiction and are interested in history, civil rights, or maritime matters.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Summer Bird Blue
A mixed race teen struggles to find her way back...

0.0 (0)
Starfish
A William C. Morris Award Finalist A New...

0.0 (0)
The Truth Lies Here
In small town Michigan, Penny, an aspiring journalist, teams...

0.0 (0)
The Looking Glass
GIRLS IN TROUBLE. That’s what Sylvie Blake’s older sister...

0.0 (0)
Something of Substance
Seventeen-year-old Grace Michaels is determined to be thin, even...

0.0 (0)
Death by the River
SOME TRUTHS ARE BETTER KEPT SECRET. SOME SECRETS...

0.0 (0)
Soraya: A Wielders of Arantha Prequel
On the planet Elystra, the all-female Ixtrayu tribe have...

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Scream All Night
A darkly hilarious contemporary realistic young adult novel about...

0.0 (0)
A Touch of Gold
King Midas once had the ability to turn all...

0.0 (0)
Meet the Sky
From award-winning author McCall Hoyle comes a new young adult...

0.0 (0)
A Dog in King Arthur’s Court (Cavall in Camelot #1)
In Camelot, King Arthur’s dog encounters a world of danger...

0.0 (0)
The Fray
She's been trained for battle but is she ready for...

0.0 (0)
Emergence (Kindred Ties: Book Two)
The fight for order has only just begun… Fletcher, Ariana...

0.0 (0)
All Summer Long.jpg
A coming-of-age middle-grade graphic novel about summer and friendships, written...

4.0 (1)
They Say Blue
Caldecott and Printz Honor-winning illustrator Jillian Tamaki brings us a...

4.0 (1)
Lady Knight (Crystal Journals) Book 3
Shortlisted 2018-19 "Chocolate Lily Book Award"... ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

""Beastly" is a beautiful and amazing story of second chances, the importance of who you are within, and love. A..."
Abhorsen (Abhorsen #3)

"Picking up right where book #2’s cliffhangery ending left off, Garth Nix brings us the satisfying conclusion to his Abhorsen..."
Monster (Gone #7)

"I have loved all the books in the gone series and this one is no exception. Kept me entertained until..."
Monster (Gone #7)

"Let me start by saying that while this is the seventh (yes, seventh!) book in a series, I haven't ever..."
Fresh off the Boat

"Happy Philippine Independence Day! This is the reason why I picked up this book. June 12 is the day..."
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1)

"This fast paced, action packed series is focused on the world that is filled with a variety of faeries that..."
Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

"Yeay! I finished the book! I have to admit, I decided to read this book again because of all the..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

"I (Erin) bought this one as a “blind date” from Malaprops. They wrap books in brown paper and write things..."
Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1)

"I remember reading this when it first came out, it was everything I was looking for in a book, great..."
Angus, Thongs & Full Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

"I love this series more than life itself. Georgia is hilarious and someone we can all relate to. Non-stop..."
Absolute Brightness

Karen Klein
" I think there were many side tangents that were not important to the story and just didn’t seem to..."

"Note: this review is for the Vampire Kisses omnibus containing books 1-3. In this omnibus containing the first..."
The Wee Free Men (Tiffany Aching #1)

"Exciting, thought-provoking and riotously funny—in addition to being more tightly plotted than many of Pratchett's books. Just about the perfect..."
Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle #1)

"Playful, vibrant, and enchanting—a light fantasy suitable for nearly all ages. Sophie the hatter settles into the curse placed..."
All-American Girl (All-American Girl #1)

"I absolutely LOVED this book! This is one of Meg Cabot's best books! It did sometimes go on to more..."
Avalon High

"I liked the movie,but I loved the book! I literally finished this book in 2 hours! It was amazing! It..."
Princess in Waiting (The Princess Diaries #4)

"This is a great book! i would recommended this book for girls 13+. It does talk about how Mia's cousin..."
The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries #1)

"This book had me laughing! I loved this book! I couldn't put it down,meg Cabot has done it agian!!! I..."

"at first i was like,"well,here we go this is going to be a long book.' But was i wrong! i..."
Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely #3)

"Where to start? I loved the first book of this series, it had all my favorite things. Action, hot alternative..."