Review Detail

(Updated: June 16, 2017)
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

More adventure for Teddy Roosevelt

We all have this vague idea that Teddy Roosevelt was an adventurer, but I had no idea the depth of his passion! Seiple wisely starts with an overview of his early life and career, which just prepares us for this description of the Roosevelt and Rondon expedition to map an unknown river in Brazil. Roosevelt was 55 at the time, and not in the best of health. He brought along his son Kermit, who also was fond of adventuring.

Personally, I'm not sure that I would have been as motivated to map an obscure river in an area with piranhas, understandably hostile indigenous people, and large bugs. This is also why I will never live south of the state of Ohio! But this group felt that it was important enough that they kept going despite wounds, catastrophes, and danger of starvation.

Good Points
Seiple has done it again-- come out with a narrative nonfiction book filled with odd facts I never knew as well as adventure. I adored Ghosts in the Fog, and it's been wildly popular with my WWII fanatics, and her Byrd and Igloo was one that an 8th grader loved so much that he said "I don't normally like nonfiction, but that was really good! Can I have another like that?" (He ended up with No Better Friend.)

A lot of students will have a picture in their minds of Roosevelt ala Night in the Museum. This is a great adventure tale that will make them understand and appreciate not only how dedicated Roosevelt was to conquering new experiences but to what lengths people went, not too long ago, to discovering unknown parts of the world. There are no longer that many opportunities to do this!
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

One Week of You
For Lizzy Winston, one week will change everything. Fifteen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)
She is from the past, locked inside a world...

4.6 (3)
Grenade
It's 1945, and the world is in the grip...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and...

0.0 (0)
Uncharted
Seventeen-year-old Annabeth prefers the fantasy of her books and...

0.0 (0)
Dark Divide
Secrets have a way of coming out. Divided by...

0.0 (0)
Orphaned (Ape Quartet #4)
Before humans, and before human history, there were the...

0.0 (0)
Heirs of the Round Table: Reclaiming Camelot
Imagine discovering that your ancestors were part of King Arthur's...

0.0 (0)
Wicked Nix
A visually stunning, middle-grade classic in the making about Wicked...

0.0 (0)
Journey of the Pale Bear
A runaway boy befriends a polar bear that’s being transported...

0.0 (0)
Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)
When Wyatt gets framed for a friend’s crime, he thinks...

0.0 (0)
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Next stop...The Magic School Bus heads to the Galapagos to...

0.0 (0)
Robot Farm (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Wanda proudly hosts this year's school harvest feast, but she...

0.0 (0)
Aphra's Child
Tula is a chimera in a world where chimera are...

0.0 (0)
One week on an Alaskan cruise, three teens, and an...

0.0 (0)
The Homework Strike
Gregory K. has too much homework. ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Abraham Lincoln (Magic Tree House Research Guides #25)

"This nonfiction companion to Abe Lincoln at Last! not only covers the events of Lincoln's life, but includes explanations about..."
Little Black Book

"I wish that adult books had scratch and sniff options (for the most part)! Renee Khatami's LITTLE BLACK BOOK is..."
Jim Henson The Guy Who Played with Puppets

"It isn't often that I come across a biography written for children that isn't written above their heads or one..."
30 Days to Finding and Keeping Sassy Sidekicks and BFFs: A Friendship Field Guide

"Reader reviewed by GirlwiththeBraids Friendship is a relationship too and it needs work just like any other, author Clea Hantman..."