Review Detail

Young Adult Nonfiction
Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

N/A

YOU NEED THIS BOOK.

I wish I could accurately put into words how much I adored This is Really Happening.

I didn’t know a lot about this book when I first read it, but I had seen great reviews so I was hoping it would be good. It wasn't until I was halfway into the book, laughing hysterically to myself on the 6 train, that I realized how much I loved it. A book has to be good is you’re willing to face the weird and partially annoyed looks of train passengers.

This is Really Happening, like most great books, is unique and unexpected. Over the past couple of years I’ve had to read several non-fiction books, mainly for school, and although they all are books are REAL life, I never found one that connected with me as much as fiction books have. There have been very, very few non-fiction books that I truly enjoyed or would re-read (two lol), and This is Really Happening is on that small list.

This book is pretty much a random collection of stories by Erin Chack, a writer at Buzzfeed, who is hilarious, smart, and a really fantastic writer. There were so many stories I connected with, that made me laugh out loud, that got me teary eyed, and that made me feel hopeful. I wish I could just talk about all of them, but there were a few that stuck out:

FIND YOUR CARROT. This one was my favorite, mainly because it made me laugh so hard. I went back to my book just now to find the name of this story and re-read it and also just burst out laughing AGAIN. It’s that good and no, I’m not saying anything about it, you just have to read it.

GIRL-SHAPED TORNADO. This is the first story, and it’s about Erin telling her friends she has cancer. The best part is when she tells her friend Jordan and it possibly the weirdest, most hilarious way possible. This is the one that made me embarrass myself on the train (worth it, though).

GREENER PASTURES. This is one of the deeper stories, and Erin talks about her feelings and thoughts when it comes to death. “And it’s sweet to think that most of us don’t want to go, like life is a party that’s too fun to leave.” It actually really made me realize how much people avoid talking about death, even though it is such a big part of life? It will definitely give you a lot to think about.

Reading this was different, because Erin is real and all the people and experiences in the book are too. Some of my favorite parts of the book were when Erin spoke about Sean, her current boyfriend, and it was so awesome to read about a real-life couple who I now ship. I would finish reading a story or part about them and be like: ‘Wait, Sean and Erin are actually real. And I ship them. And they’re still together!!!’ #RealLifeOTP

Final thoughts?

This is a book pretty much anyone could love. I’m already planning on getting a couple of copies for my sister and some of my friends who don’t read, cause I know even they would love it. It’s that good. Everyone needs this book in their life, just trust me on this. If you need some laughter and hope in your life, I would grab this book whenever you get the chance.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Esme's Wish
When fifteen-year-old Esme Silver objects at her father's wedding, her...

0.0 (0)
What the Night Sings
For fans of The Book Thief and The Boy in...

0.0 (0)
In the first book of this new series, Sage Stone...

0.0 (0)
Bright Burns the Night
Ten years ago, King Lorcan of the Dark Kingdom...

0.0 (0)
The Edge of Juniper
Malcolm Dearing is sweet, gorgeous, persistent...and off-limits. Fay is...

0.0 (0)
Marked Beauty
Uncovering hidden secrets can sometimes kill you . ....

0.0 (0)
Listen to Your Heart
Kasie West brings us another compelling read with “Listen...

5.0 (1)
Screenshot
Skye's social media game is always on point. Until...

0.0 (0)
And She Was
Dara’s lived a sheltered life with her single mom,...

0.0 (0)
The God Gene Chronicles: The Secret of the Gods
Legend and lore lay the foundation for this exciting new...

0.0 (0)
Big Water
Seventeen-year-old Christina McBurney has led a sheltered life. But when...

0.0 (0)
Two schools: One of magic and science, the other focused...

0.0 (0)
The Kidult Handbook: From Blanket Forts to Capture the Flag, a Grownup's Guide to Playing Like a Kid
Adulting is hard! But “kidulting”— engaging in nostalgic childhood activities...

0.0 (0)
Science: A LEGO Adventure in the Real World
Did you know that the blue whale could blow up...

0.0 (0)
Meant To Be Broken
Rayne Davidson is perfectly happy fading into the background. Her...

5.0 (3)
Switching Gears
Still mourning the loss of Lucas Nelson, the boy she...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Sky in the Deep

"What worked: This is a highly engaging historical tale of a teen warrior who is taken by a rival clan..."
All The Crooked Saints

"Trust me when I say no one was more stunned than me when I enjoyed All the Crooked Saints. ..."
Legacy of Kings

"Legacy of Kings was not a bad book per se, but I found it a confusing, frequently boring one. Perhaps..."
Tempests and Slaughter

"I am a terrible fantasy fan. Why? Because I’ve never read a novel by Tamora Pierce. I am definitely..."
Nimona

"Oh my gosh!!!!!!! This is the cutest graphic novel I have read in a long time! Cute and entertaining and..."
Sky in the Deep

"If you’re looking for an action-packed novel with a fierce female main character who is multifaceted, and the text is..."
The Tiger's Watch (Ashes of Gold #1)

"I’m in two minds about this novella. While there was a part of me that was intrigued by the general..."
Return of the Vinetropes

"What a unique and wonderful story told by a gifted writer! What I loved most is that there's something for..."
A Thousand Beginnings and Endings

"A THOUSAND BEGINNINGS AND ENDINGS is a collection of fifteen short stories, edited by Ellen Oh and Elsie Chapman. All..."
A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen #2)

" An enthralling, beautifully crafted YA fantasy—laced with Indian lore and memorable characterization. Gauri is a betrayed..."
Dark Breaks the Dawn

"In DARK BREAKS THE DAWN, Evelayn is the future queen of the Light Kingdom. As expected, she must prepare for..."
Eden Conquered

"EDEN CONQUERED by Joelle Charbonneau is the second book in a duology about royal twins competing for the throne. When..."
Sky in the Deep

"No comment."
Abhorsen (Abhorsen #3)

"Picking up right where book #2’s cliffhangery ending left off, Garth Nix brings us the satisfying conclusion to his Abhorsen..."
The Queen Of The Tearling (The Tearling Trilogy, #1)

"An exceptional middle-fantasy debut, keyed to a New Adult audience. Kelsea is an unremarkable orphaned girl, long kept..."
The Traitor's Game

"THE TRAITOR'S GAME alternates between two main characters: Kestra and Simon. When Kestra is called back home to her father's..."
Scroll of Kings (The Lost Books #1)

"Alex is struggling as the apprentice to an elderly librarian at a castle filled with old, musty diaries and laundry..."
Ace of Shades

"When Enne's mother doesn't return home, Enne travels to the City of Sin and she's desperate to find her. It's..."
Fire and Bone

"FIRE AND BONE by Rachel A. Marks is the beginning of a new young adult fantasy series. In many ways,..."
Sky in the Deep

"Great strong woman character in Eelyn, I couldn't get enough of this book!"