Review Detail

Overall rating 

Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

An incredible look into the minds, lives, and struggles of transgender teens.

"Beyond Magenta" is an incredible look into the minds, lives, and struggles of LGBTQ teens.

Each chapter profiles a person who has struggled with gender identity, and ultimately is transgender. They were born as one "sex", but identified with the other, and so the gender they were expected to express was not the gender they were comfortable presenting. The chapters are about very different people.

When I picked up the book I wasn't expecting just what I got. I was expecting the author's narrative on the lives of these people. I was expecting to hear from an outside observer what these kids' lives had been like.

I was not expecting to hear their stories from the teens themselves.

It was really powerful hearing their stories firsthand. I could really get a sense for who they were, what they had gone through, how they dealt with problems and what they might sound like if I had the chance to talk to them in person. The photographs were an extra glimpse into the teens' minds - the images so clearly showed us how the teens saw themselves. This was incredible.

While there are still some things I don't quite understand about gender fluidity, overall I feel like my world has exploded. I know so much more about growing up transgender, becoming transsexual, discovering your gender identity, questioning it. I know so much about the difficulties these teens faced, the prejudices they overcame, the judgments they challenged.

When you don't understand yourself, how will you help other people understand you? It is so very hard, but so worth the effort once you come out on the other side as simply "yourself."

Those wanting to understand gender identity, or those who are struggling with their own gender and sexuality would greatly benefit from reading this book.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Lights, Camera, Carmen! (Carmen #2)
In the vein of Eloise, Olivia, and Fancy Nancy, Carmen...

0.0 (0)
Love, Life, and the List
Seventeen-year-old Abby Turner’s summer isn’t going the way she’d planned....

0.0 (0)
The Incredible True Story of the Making of the Eve of Destruction
Arkansas, 1984: The town of Griffin Flat is known for...

0.0 (0)
Absolutely Everything!: A History of Earth, Dinosaurs, Rulers, Robots and Other Things Too Numerous to Mention
Discover how science, nature and history connect in this fast-paced,...

0.0 (0)
The Sloth Who Slowed Us Down
When the speediest family in the world finds a sweet,...

0.0 (0)
My Little Golden Book About the Solar System
Little Golden Books introduces your young reader to the solar...

0.0 (0)
Enlightenment by Reno Ursal
When Dorothy Dizon meets the mysterious Adrian Rosario and his...

0.0 (0)
The Flash: The Secret Files of Barry Allen: The Ultimate Guide to the Hit TV Show
My name is Barry Allen. You probably know me as...

0.0 (0)
An Assassin's Guide to Love & Treason
When Lady Katherine's father is killed for being an illegally...

0.0 (0)
The Blood Spell
Blue de la Cour has her life planned: hide the...

0.0 (0)
Ogre Enchanted
In this prequel to Ella Enchanted, which can stand on...

0.0 (0)
Home and Away
Tasia Quirk is young, Black, and fabulous. She's a senior,...

0.0 (0)
Mirage
In a star system dominated by the brutal Vathek empire,...

0.0 (0)
Dactyl Hill Squad
It's 1863 and dinosaurs roam the streets of New York...

0.0 (0)
Onyx and Ivory
They call her Traitor Kate. It’s a title Kate Brighton...

0.0 (0)
Beyond a Darkened Shore
The ancient land of Éirinn is mired in war. Ciara,...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Wonder

" Aiming on the younger end of the Middle Grade spectrum, Wonder is the story of a disfigured 5th grader..."
Restart

"Middle grade mystery with an amnesic twist—a friendship-centric tale of lost-and-found. Readers are introduced to a cruel boy..."
Wings of Fire Graphic Novel #1: The Dragonet Prophecy

"I am a huge fan of the Wings of Fire series and I was eager to return to Tui T...."
Switched at Birthday

"'Switched at Birthday' by Natalie Standiford is a cute fantasy story about the power of empathy. Main characters Lavender and..."
Hero on a Bicycle

"HERO ON A BICYCLE by Shirley Hughes is a middle grades novel set in 1944 in Florence, Italy and its..."
You're Weird: A Creative Journal for Misfits, Oddballs, and Anyone Else Who's Uniquely Awesome

"'You're Weird: A Creative Journal for Misfits, Oddballs, and Anyone Else Who's Uniquely Awesome' by Kate Peterson will allow anyone..."
The Doldrums and the Helmsley Curse

"The Doldrums are back in this mystery and intrigue-laden Middle Grade continuation. Though it’s definitely a sequel, the story has..."
Edgeland

"A Middle Grade fantasy with some dystopian and supernatural appeal. The island of Edgeland sits on the..."
The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)

"The Iron Trial is about a magic school called the Magisterium where gifted children learn to control their magic. The..."
Wild Born (Spirit Animals #1)

"Four children, Abeke, Meilin, Conor and Rollan, undergo a sacred ceremony and are forever bonded to four spirit animals; a..."
The Summer of Bad Ideas

"THE SUMMER OF BAD IDEAS features insecure and dorky Edith (who would rather be called Edie) and her very cool..."
Macarons at Midnight

"What I Loved: The book’s inciting incident is Elise meeting her Romeo at a sweets shop, so of course the..."
Orbiting Jupiter

"I read Orbiting Jupiter after getting a great recommendation from the school media center. This short book at first might..."
13 Gifts (11 Birthdays #3)

"Tara Brennan struggles to make friends, and we see why as her attempt to fit in with the cool kids..."
One Half From The East

"In present-day Afghanistan, after a season of misfortune, Obayda and her family must move to a small town to live..."
Sting

"In LOOT, Jude Watson introduced readers to teens March, Jules, Izzy, and Darius as the four were brought together and..."
Football Superstars 2016

"FOOTBALL SUPERSTARS 2016 by K.C. Kelley takes an in-depth look at the star players in the NFL at the end..."
BASEBALL SUPERSTARS 2016

"BASEBALL SUPERSTARS 2016 by K.C. Kelley is exactly what one would expect from the title: a review of the top..."
Thirteen Chairs

"Jack enters the room of a house rumored to be haunted, and he finds twelve people seated around a table...."
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson & the Olympians #1)

"I’m sure we all have that book on our to-be-read lists, a book that you constantly stare at thinking, “I..."