Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Whew! Fast and furious...

Wow, I really wasnt sure what to expect when I got Desert Blood in the mail. The cover looks like an ad for a TV show (this is on purpose, of course, youll see why in a minute)&actually, not just any TV show, but a sex-filled Latino police/crime soap opera. A sexy, intense hunky cop surrounded by scantily clad women. A line at the top of the book boldly proclaims Everyone wants a piece of the rich and famous. and the first line on the back says, in big bold print, An all-Latino cast stars in this fast-paced and sexy Hollywood mystery.

Yeeeeowwwch. Pull out the fire extinguisher, cause this ones gonna burn ya.

So, when I started actually reading the book (hey, you know you cant judge a book by its cover, right?), it was a little different. Not a letdown in any way, mind you, just different from what you might expect. Honestly, if Id based picking this book up solely on the cover, I probably wouldnt have. Im not a soap opera kind of gal. But then Id have missed out on a good story.

Gus Gonzales, a fourteen year-old orphan, has been adopted by Nicholas Hernandez. While it is already unusual for a single guy to adopt a teen age boy, Gus situation is made even more unusual by the fact that Nick happens to be a famous (and hunky) TV star (hence the Desert Blood title; its the name of Nicks TV series). As with any celebrity situation, the two are constantly embroiled in false-accusations and media frenzies, the worst of which being when Nick is accused of having a Michael Jackson-esque (allegedly, I guess I should add) relationship with Gus by the tabloids.

Nothing could be further from the truth, of course. But it is true that things are starting to get seriously scary. Threatening letters have started arriving (promising death to Gus) and a knife-wielding intruder breaks into their house. Then things *really* start to get out of control and the plot thickens with car chases, kidnappings, and much, much more.

It soon becomes obvious that Nick does have a secret to hide. Can Gus figure it all out before the bad guy gets the upper hand? Will Nick come clean, or will his secret tear their family apart forever? Will any of them make it out alive?

This is a fast-paced (let me repeat that: this is a *fast-paced*) mystery-adventure with race-against-the-clock energy. A good pick for reluctant readers and equally grabbing for both girls and boys. Recommended for ages 12 and up or 14 and up, if the reader is particularly squeamish or easy to terrify (though nothing is overly graphic, I just know a few 12 year-olds that cant handle the kind of intensity a novel like this has).

For those of you who like to know all the nitty-gritty Ronald Cree based this book, in part, on his real-life friendship with actor Nicholas Gonzalez (of The OC, Law & Order: SVU, and Anacondas fame) and his own experiences as an adoptive father.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Game Change
Seventeen-year-old Zeb Holloway is happy to work in his...

0.0 (0)
Wilder Legacy
The life of a Guardian is a dangerous one,...

5.0 (1)
The Stars Beneath Our Feet
It’s Christmas Eve in Harlem, but twelve-year-old Lolly Rachpaul and...

0.0 (0)
Keeper - Matefinder Next Generation Book 1
Anya has inherited her mother's gift. Born in a...

0.0 (0)
Spies Like Me
Can she bring these girls together? When she discovers...

0.0 (0)
Royal Bastards
Being a bastard blows. Tilla would know. Her father,...

4.0 (2)
Before I Let Go
Days before Corey is to return home to the...

5.0 (1)
Growing Friendships: A Kids' Guide to Making and Keeping Friends
From psychologist and children's friendships expert Eileen Kennedy-Moore and parenting...

0.0 (0)
Sword and Scion 01: Into the Dark Mountains
How lost one feels when his own character remains a...

4.9 (2)
The Pirates of Brisa (Wyrms of Pasandir #2)
When young Eskandar leaves his ship with the tough broomrider...

0.0 (0)
Building a Trade Empire (Wyrms of Pasandir #4)
Trade had been Shaw’s life, her dream, her future –...

0.0 (0)
Journeys: Young Readers’ Letters to Authors Who Changed Their Lives
Books can change lives — and here are more than...

0.0 (0)
The Moonlight Meeting: The Nocturnals
In The Moonlight Meeting, Tobin, a sweet pangolin, Bismark, a...

0.0 (0)
The Hidden Kingdom: The Nocturnals Book 4
A group of veiled creatures--a chameleon, stick bugs and assorted...

0.0 (0)
In Sight of Stars
Seventeen-year-old Klee’s father was the center of his life. He...

0.0 (0)
The Bokkaners of the North (Wyrms of Pasandir #3)
Against all odds, Eskandar and his bunch of ragtag youngsters...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Empress of the World (Battle Hall Davies #1)

" This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogspot.ca/2016/09/empress-of-world-by-sara-ryan.html Nicola is taking a summer course in archaeology at..."
I Was Here

"Think of a darker THIRTEEN REASONS WHY. In this case Cody blames herself for the suicide of her BFF. After..."
Tokyo Heist

"I love travel and love books set in foreign places. Renn did a great job capturing Tokyo in this book...."
The Edge of the Water (Whidbey Island Saga #2)

"The Edge of the Water, sequel to The Edge of Nowhere, takes Becca and the inhabitants of Whidbey Island on..."
The Edge of Nowhere

"The Edge of Nowhere by Elizabeth George follows young Becca King, a girl who can hear thoughts of others as..."
Mosquitoland

"Mosquitoland by David Arnold is now one of my favorite books and the best I've read in a long, long..."
Mosquitoland

"The first thing a reader notices when they pick up MOSQUITOLAND is the voice. Self-proclaimed strange protagonist Mary Iris Malone..."
Mosquitoland

"Writing reviews for contemporaries are the hardest for me, especially the ones that involve Important Topics About Life. Mosquitoland is..."
A Mad, Wicked Folly

"I actually really loved this book. It was a great standalone read and I really enjoyed reading it. ..."
I Was Here

"Cody is shocked by her best friend Meg's death. To her, Meg was happy and she has no idea what..."
I Was Here

"After reading Forman’s debut novel, If I Stay, and its sequel, Where She Went, I knew Forman was not afraid..."
45 Pounds (More or Less)

" I wanted to read this one because I am overweight myself and figured that I would..."
Stranger (The Change #1)

"What I Liked: If you follow my reviews, you probably know that I adore books about people with powers. Stranger..."
Blind

"What I Liked: Rachel DeWoskin’s Blind was a book I was curious about, but I wasn’t so sure it would..."
Blind

" I wanted to read Blind because I am drawn to books dealing with disability or mental..."
Latitude Zero

"Talk about whirlwind suspense, tension, and adventure that doesn't stop! I was hooked on the very first page of..."
Brazen

"Historicals are one of my all time favorite genres. I also love anything that deals with the Tudors. ..."
Half Bad (The Half Bad Trilogy #1)

"Half Bad is disturbing -- as it should be. There are ten million places to find a synopsis, but the..."
Half Bad (The Half Bad Trilogy #1)

"Upon finishing Half Bad my first thought was, "HOLY CRAP!", so I went to Goodreads to see what everyone else..."
The Moon and More

"God, it took me forever to read this. Sarah Dessen's books feel like home. They take me out of..."