Review Detail

Sign Language Featured Hot
Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Emotional read, but well worth it!

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first picked up 'Sign Language'. I thought it might be a bit too emotional for me to read, but Amy Ackley does an amazing job of adding just the right amount of emotion so that the reader doesn't feel like the book is "too" sad.

The book starts out when Abby is 12 and her father is ill. Abby's parents don't tell her the full truth as to why her dad is sick, but the reader can guess early on that he has cancer and it's not a good prognosis. As I watched Abby grow and mature, and sadly watch her father become sicker and sicker, I felt like I knew her life. I've never lost a close loved one to cancer, but I've lost loved ones and I've had to watch them slowly get worse. So, the part of the book where Abby is watching her dad become more sick and eventually pass away was heart wrenching.

Abby has an older brother, Josh, and an older half sister, Deanna. Josh still lives at home and is a typical teenage boy who doesn't really care about anyone else, however we get to see a softer side of Josh as his dad gets more sick. I loved that. Seeing Josh, a teenage boy, taking care of his father and giving of himself was such a wonderful thing to read. After their dad passes away, it was hard to read about how their mom struggles so hard and Josh and Abby are struggling, too. But, with the help of a few family members, mostly the three of them, and Spence, a neighbor and dear friend to Josh and Abby, they are able to come through as a stronger family.

Watching the relationship between Spence and Abby was so much fun. Abby is only 12 when the book starts and Spence is like an older brother to her. He spends lot of time with her and they hang out together, and the reader can immediately tell that he cares for her more than a friend. Watching Abby grow (the book ends when she is 17) and realize her true feelings for Spence throughout the book was satisfying. I absolutely loved their relationship and how they complimented each other so well.

This book is a must read. Absolutely heart breaking, yet heart warming at the same time and focuses so much on not only the loss of a parent, but the struggles of becoming a teenager. I cannot recommend this book enough and I'm looking forward to further books by this author!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1  

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account
Amy Ackley Written by Amy Ackley
February 02, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review!
1 results - showing 1 - 1  

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Eden Conquered
The electrifying conclusion to the Dividing Eden series by the...

0.0 (0)
Restore Me (Shatter Me #4)
Juliette Ferrars thought she'd won. She took over Sector 45,...

0.0 (0)
Dark_Flowers_C_Brooke_FC_01.jpg
DARK FLOWERS is the multi award-winning novel by Caytlyn Brooke...

0.0 (0)
Samantha Spinner and the Super-Secret Plans
Get ready for round-the-world adventure with Sam Spinner and her...

0.0 (0)
And She Was
Dara’s lived a sheltered life with her single mom, Mellie....

0.0 (0)
Lifeline
Popular high school senior Eli Ross has the perfect...

0.0 (0)
Brightly Burning
Stella Ainsley leaves poverty behind when she quits her...

0.0 (0)
A Pain Less Ordinary
Becca's life is anything but ordinary. At fifteen, she's...

0.0 (0)
Fatal Throne: The Wives of Henry VIII Tell All
The tragic lives of Henry VIII and his six...

0.0 (0)
Junction 2020 Book 1: The Portal
New Year's Eve, 2019. Mari Stratton attends a New...

0.0 (0)
Summer Constellations
Julia Ducharme is ready for a fresh start. Her...

0.0 (0)
Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race
Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden were...

0.0 (0)
Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World
"Well-behaved women seldom make history." —Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Pulitzer Prize-winning...

0.0 (0)
Begin a fantastic journey with our hero, the Warrior from...

0.0 (0)
Fairy Mom and Me
From the bestselling author of the Shopaholic series and the...

0.0 (0)
Picture Us in the Light
Danny Cheng has always known his parents have secrets. But...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Significance

"If only i could save a hot guy from getting hit by a truck and suddenly be his soul mate,..."
Significance

"I seriously love this book to death. I probably couldn’t tell you how many times I have read and re-read..."
The Fallen Star (Volume 1)

"The Fallen Star is a book that will make you want to carry on reading. Its about a girl called..."
Flat-Out Love

"Flat-Out Love opens up with Julie heading off to college and arriving at what she thinks is her new apartment...."
What I Didn't Say

"I really don't have any reasonable reason to have not enjoyed this book. But something about it just didn't click..."
ReVamped

"Love this book i will give the cover and the book 5 out of 5. Every chapter takes you on..."
ReVamped

"Had enough of vampire books?! Well, let me throw ReVamped at you and say even if you’re sick of vampire..."
ReVamped

" So as we all know the vampire phenomenon has taken the world by storm and there are plenty of..."
Significance

"Love!"
Significance

"Does fate really exist? And if it does, then does magic exist? These are the questions Maggie Masters must answer..."
Remembrance

"(Source: Purchased from Amazon.co.uk for only 77p!) 16-year-old Lizzie has a great boyfriend, and a great best friend, but when..."
Remembrance

"Remembrance has a very interesting background. It was inspired by an artist's music video and burst into this book, which..."
ReVamped

"First, I want to thank the author, Ada Adams, and also Marian R., for an e-copy of the book… ..."
Good For You (Between The Lines #3)

JenJen
"Wow, just wow! Each book in this series is better than the one before! This is Dori and Reid's..."
Solid

"Solid was a mindlessly entertaining read, with a witty and sarcastic narrator who kept things on the lighter side with..."
What I Didn't Say

"This book wasn't the fluffy chick lit you think it would be, but it isn't quite as deep as you..."
Significance

" WOW! This is an AMAZING story. I got so caught up in it, I kept hiding from my responsibilities..."
What I Didn't Say

" Wow, I am on a roll with good contemporaries this month. This one is really an eye opener..."
What I Didn't Say

N/A
" You know those books that come along and at first they seem okay and maybe sort of hoakie and..."
ReVamped

"ISBN: 9781470068981 Publisher: Self/Indie Pages: 300 A simple mission turned deadly. Nineteen-year-old vampire Dawn has led a sheltered..."