Review Detail

Legend Featured Hot
Young Adult Fiction
Legend's plot is similar to the other dystopias out there but it does have some qualities that I really enjoyed. First, I loved how Lu was able to show us a futuristic world that just happens to be in Los Angeles. I've lived in Southern California for over twenty years and was able to picture the backdrop. I also love how she's able to go back and forth between two protagonists. June is the only one in the Republic to score a perfect score during the trials. The trials are like a huge coming of age ritual in which the authorities determine who will go to school and those who will end up in poverty or worse. After her older brother is killed she's out to get Day, the other protagonist in this story. Day lives on the streets and tries to help his mother and brothers from the plague that is never ending. When both characters do meet it's not what I'd expected. This is when the writing goes up a notch. Lu's writing and pacing make this dystopia stand out along with her rich details and multi-layered characters. You can feel the violence in this society that's not as extreme as Hunger Games but still has enough to resonate that this is a society built on war.

I know some say the beginning is confusing but I liked how Lu jumps right into the action and builds the suspense that builds until the huge climax. There's elements of mystery along with a chemistry between two very unlikely characters.

The only complaint I had is the premise of a futuristic society with those fighting against it has been done alot so there are some parts that are predictable. The pacing, dialogue, and characters make up for this. Also a revelation took me off guard.

If you love dystopias, for sure pick up a copy of Legend.
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Kim Baccellia, Editor Reviewed by Kim Baccellia, Editor December 08, 2011
Last updated: December 09, 2011
Top 10 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (389)

New Dystopia Tale

Legend's plot is similar to the other dystopias out there but it does have some qualities that I really enjoyed. First, I loved how Lu was able to show us a futuristic world that just happens to be in Los Angeles. I've lived in Southern California for over twenty years and was able to picture the backdrop. I also love how she's able to go back and forth between two protagonists. June is the only one in the Republic to score a perfect score during the trials. The trials are like a huge coming of age ritual in which the authorities determine who will go to school and those who will end up in poverty or worse. After her older brother is killed she's out to get Day, the other protagonist in this story. Day lives on the streets and tries to help his mother and brothers from the plague that is never ending. When both characters do meet it's not what I'd expected. This is when the writing goes up a notch. Lu's writing and pacing make this dystopia stand out along with her rich details and multi-layered characters. You can feel the violence in this society that's not as extreme as Hunger Games but still has enough to resonate that this is a society built on war.

I know some say the beginning is confusing but I liked how Lu jumps right into the action and builds the suspense that builds until the huge climax. There's elements of mystery along with a chemistry between two very unlikely characters.

The only complaint I had is the premise of a futuristic society with those fighting against it has been done alot so there are some parts that are predictable. The pacing, dialogue, and characters make up for this. Also a revelation took me off guard.

If you love dystopias, for sure pick up a copy of Legend.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account
Megan Kelly, Editor Written by Megan Kelly, Editor
March 25, 2012
People keep recommending Legend to me, so I will have to check it out. I love stories with dual POV, so I am psyched to hear that it works.
1 results - showing 1 - 1