Legend Featured Hot
Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: December 09, 2011)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

New Dystopia Tale

Legend's plot is similar to the other dystopias out there but it does have some qualities that I really enjoyed. First, I loved how Lu was able to show us a futuristic world that just happens to be in Los Angeles. I've lived in Southern California for over twenty years and was able to picture the backdrop. I also love how she's able to go back and forth between two protagonists. June is the only one in the Republic to score a perfect score during the trials. The trials are like a huge coming of age ritual in which the authorities determine who will go to school and those who will end up in poverty or worse. After her older brother is killed she's out to get Day, the other protagonist in this story. Day lives on the streets and tries to help his mother and brothers from the plague that is never ending. When both characters do meet it's not what I'd expected. This is when the writing goes up a notch. Lu's writing and pacing make this dystopia stand out along with her rich details and multi-layered characters. You can feel the violence in this society that's not as extreme as Hunger Games but still has enough to resonate that this is a society built on war.

I know some say the beginning is confusing but I liked how Lu jumps right into the action and builds the suspense that builds until the huge climax. There's elements of mystery along with a chemistry between two very unlikely characters.

The only complaint I had is the premise of a futuristic society with those fighting against it has been done alot so there are some parts that are predictable. The pacing, dialogue, and characters make up for this. Also a revelation took me off guard.

If you love dystopias, for sure pick up a copy of Legend.

Good Points
1. Likeable characters
2. Great backdrop
3. Dual POV that works
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1  

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account
Megan Kelly Written by Megan Kelly
March 25, 2012
People keep recommending Legend to me, so I will have to check it out. I love stories with dual POV, so I am psyched to hear that it works.
1 results - showing 1 - 1  

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

The Nazi Hunters: How a Team of Spies and Survivors Captured the World's Most Notorious Nazi
In 1945, at the end of World War II, Adolf...

0.0 (0)
You May Now Kill the Bride
Two sisters, divided by time. Each with a terrible resentment...

0.0 (0)
Ruby Redfort: Blink and You Die (Ruby Redfort #6)
Ruby Redfort: you can count on her when the ice...

0.0 (0)
I Wish I Was a Gorilla
What if you wished you were a gorilla and then...

0.0 (0)
The New Kid
Middle school can be tough! Especially when Alex's best friend...

5.0 (1)
Margot and Mateo Save the World
When Margot Blumenthal removes a bright blue slug alien attached...

0.0 (0)
Acceptance The Jewel Trilogy Book one
When destiny and desire collide... In a community full...

0.0 (0)
Escape The Future
"AS POWERFUL AS CORMAC MCCARTHY... A TIMELY, TROUBLING, AND MEMORABLE...

0.0 (0)
Challenge Accepted
Emma Dawson and Logan Reynolds have been neighbors and...

4.2 (3)

0.0 (0)
The Planetsider
A story of self-discovery, belonging and hope. ...

0.0 (0)
Where the Sea Takes Me
Two years later might as well be two lifetimes....

0.0 (0)
From You to Me
Amelia Peabody lives in a small town where nothing changes....

0.0 (0)
"According to legend, when the world was young, two gods...

0.0 (0)
Why Can't I Be You
Claire Ladd knows that this summer is going to...

0.0 (0)
A Thousand Beginnings and Endings
Star-crossed lovers, meddling immortals, feigned identities, battles of wits,...

0.0 (0)
What will it take for a cynical older sister to...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

You May Now Kill the Bride

"In 1923, sisters Ruth-Ann and Rebecca have an uneasy relationship, especially after Rebecca hastily throws over her boyfriend Melvin for..."
Where the Sea Takes Me

"Sienna just finished her freshman year in college. It’s been two years since she parted from Deni back in Indonesia...."
Heretics Anonymous

"What worked: This is a humorous at times contemporary novel of an Atheist teen who ends up in a Catholic..."
Always Forever Maybe

"It isn't always easy to love a book that talks about a dark subject, but Rissi captivated me with her..."
The Loneliest Girl in The Universe

"What worked: This is one of those books you can't put down! I literally stayed up until the early morning..."

""Pretties" is a continuation of the Uglies series where Tally Youngblood has now returned to the city and become a..."
Bring Me Their Hearts

""Bring Me Their Hearts" was a fantastic YA fantasy that I wish I could give more than 5 stars to!..."
Fawkes

""Fawkes" is a YA historical fantasy that sounds so interesting! Unfortunately, I could not get into it. In this alternate..."
Fireblood (Frostblood #2)

""Fireblood" was a pretty good continuation of the Frostblood Saga. While the first book took place in the land of..."
Thief of Lies

"“Thief of Lies” is the first in the Library Jumpers series. It had me hooked at the start but lost..."
The Waking Land

"“The Waking Land” is an enthralling YA fantasy that follows Elanna Valtai. The prologue shows us Elanna’s nightmares over the..."
The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles #1)

""The Adoration of Jenna Fox" is the story of a teenager who wakes up from a coma without any memories..."
Zombie Abbey

""Zombie Abbey" is Downton Abbey with zombies (and characters names changed). Although it's been a while since I watched Downton..."
Heartless

""Heartless" is the origin story for the Queen of Hearts (of Alice in Wonderland fame). Catherine, destined to be the..."
All The Crooked Saints

""All the Crooked Saints" is YA fiction with a heavy dose of magical realism. The Soria family lives in Bicho..."
Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

""Beastly" is a beautiful and amazing story of second chances, the importance of who you are within, and love. A..."
Don't Look Back

""Don't Look Back" is a one-off thriller from Jennifer L. Armentrout. It begins with Samantha appearing bloody and beat up..."
Seven Days of You

""Seven Days of You" follows Sophia during her last week in Tokyo, where she has lived for the last four..."
When the Moon Was Ours

""When the Moon was Ours" is a hauntingly beautiful and lyrical masterpiece. McLemore is an incredible storyteller. The words do..."
Finding Audrey

"I think this is one of Kinsella's finest books. There is so much heart, struggle, and soul to this book...."