Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
(Updated: May 16, 2011)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Survivor meets teen celebs

Francesca, 'Fran', feels like she doesn't fit in with what remains of her family. Her mother and sister connect and the only family member that gets her, left her mother for a bimbo chef. Fran in the meantime has two hobbies that keep her mind off her family: candy and celebrity gossip magazines.

Then her father takes her out to dinner and makes an announcement that upsets her so much, she runs to her friend Jordan's house where she finds a contest from Seventeen magazine. She takes out her anger against her father by 'making' up his death and enters the contest not knowing that later that article will come back and haunt her. She wins the Seventeen contest and gets to go with some celebrities to Africa on a literacy project. She's excited to be able to be with the very people she loves reading about until the plane crashes and she finds out not all glitters under those celeb masks.

I loved the voice of this novel. The writing is fresh and hilarious. Fran finds out to her horror how clueless these celebrities are especially the one who plays hero roles. He can't swim!
Fran gets a rude awaking to how celebrity and reality worlds in fact collide which is shown in satiric wit throughout.
Fran ends up texting Jordan while she's marooned ala Gillian's Island style. Each of the celebrities has their own unique quirk. I loved the little details she shares on all of them. My favorite one had to be Milan who had a Lindsay Lohan feel to her. One scene that totally cracked me up was when Milan pulls out her extensions and uses the hairpins to help open a coconut. Cisco felt like Zac Efron with the whole Disney past and being gorgeous. Chaz, the reporter for one celeb site is hilarious in his own devious way.

There's lots of fun moments on the island and the exchanges between all of them are captured on Fran's cell.

I laughed out loud more than once throughout this story. It was a refreshing break from all the recent dark, paranormals out there.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Right Where You Left Me
In search of the perfect story to put a human...

0.0 (0)
Lucky Broken Girl
Based on the author's childhood in the 1960s, a young...

0.0 (0)
Coming Up For Air
Swim. Eat. Shower. School. Snack. Swim. Swim. Swim. Dinner....

0.0 (0)
Our Broken Pieces
The only thing worse than having your boyfriend dump...

0.0 (0)
Landscape with Invisible Hand
National Book Award winner M. T. Anderson returns to...

0.0 (0)
The 12 Dares of Christa
Christa is a holiday junkie. What’s not to love?...

0.0 (0)
Invictus
Farway Gaius McCarthy was born outside of time. The...

4.0 (1)
A Short History of the Girl Next Door
The unrequited love of the girl next door is...

0.0 (0)
Dear Martin
ustyce McAllister is top of his class and set for...

0.0 (0)
Come Home, Angus
Angus woke up mad and knew today was not his...

0.0 (0)
Rulers of the Playground
A stunning picture book about sharing, friendship, and kindness in...

0.0 (0)
June Sparrow and the Million Dollar Penny
June Sparrow and her best friend—a miniature pig named Indigo...

0.0 (0)
Story Sparks:  Finding Your Best Story Ideas & Turning Them into Compelling Fiction
Find rock-solid story ideas before you start writing ...

0.0 (0)
The Elect
For the past thirteen years, the Foundation has ruled Belstrana...

0.0 (0)
The Girl in the Tower
A remarkable young woman blazes her own trail, from the...

0.0 (0)
Soul Mates by J Butterworth
Alex is born into a future society were at birth...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Like a Dream

"Amelia is a strong protagonist with great wit and charm. She does the best she can with what life has..."
Rabiah Book 2: Power

""Full of unexpected twists and turns. 'Power' is a story of love, adventure, and redemption""
Good Boy, Achilles!

"Very nice book."
Assassins: Discord

"An exciting book that kept me on my toes, had me crying, and left me feeling good. Talk..."
Phoenix

"A wonderfully creative piece, with relatable characters and an intriguing plot line."
Birdbrain (Go Ahead. Love Your Planet. Just Not Too Much).

N/A
"Comedic-Drama Adult/YA Literary Fiction. Rated PG (profanity/no explicit sex). It's a wild ride. Enjoy!"
the Star

"Written by Minnesota author."
Annalise's Up and Down Day

"very cute and easy to read and easy to follow children's book for youngens. "
The Kitchen of Many Colours

"This is a wonderful story that focuses on accepting people who appear different or who come from cultures different from..."
Webs of Discovery (Squeaky Tails Crusaders of Golanthia #1)

IceIce
"Love this book ~ the "critters" come alive and stay with you long after you finish the book; friendship, adventure,..."
The Nectar Fields

"I really enjoyed this book. The way the story unravelled kept me engaged and my allegiances kept shifting as the..."
The Nectar Fields

"This book has it all, love, laughter, action and more. It is very well written and is an interesting take..."
The Watchers (The Watchers, #1)

"The Watchers is a dystopian science fiction novel and the debut of the author. While we have seen a lot..."
The Watchers (The Watchers, #1)

"While writing The Watchers, it opened up a lot of doors, some of them fun and exciting, others scary. I..."
The Starburst Juju

"This is a submitted review from "ACCampbell" Amazon: "The Starburst Juju is a fast paced read! Fun and endearing the..."
The Starburst Juju

"The Starburst Juju is a fast paced read! Fun and endearing the lead character Pepper is relatable and honest, brave..."
Bronze (The Glister Journals #1)

N/A
"The Glister Journals is a realistic fiction series in four volumes. Set in California, it is first and foremost a..."