Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Realistic Tale

David Albacore is dealing with the aftermath of a family tragedy. He's changed his name and moved with his younger sister to a tough inner-city Chicago high school. On top of dealing with balancing school, work, and his feelings for Yolanda, he can't escape the flashbacks of that one terrible night. When an opportunity to get a scholarship to college comes his way, David is faced with a difficult decision: Follow his mother's dream of going to college or keep his family together.

This is a very gritty, realistic tale of an African-American teen and hard choices. Instead of romanticizing this story, the author shows us a very real and gripping portrayal of David's life. David is likeable and very believable in how he deals with a father who murdered his mother and the guilt he carries for not being able to 'save' her. The idea of a teen being the one to hold the family together is very true. As a bilingual teacher I saw this many times with former students who ended up pulling the weight when tragedies happened.

The dialogue and tension between David and Yolanda moves the story right along. David's relationship with his construction boss felt real too. The only thing I did want to see was a little more vulnerability in Malik, who seemed too one-dimensional at times.

The ending of this tale isn't the usually one you expect in some YA contemporary novels. I applaud the author for having the courage to show us David's choice that is both satisfying and real.

Another Westside book winner.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

One Week of You
For Lizzy Winston, one week will change everything. Fifteen-year-old...

0.0 (0)
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)
She is from the past, locked inside a world...

4.6 (3)
Grenade
It's 1945, and the world is in the grip...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and...

0.0 (0)
Uncharted
Seventeen-year-old Annabeth prefers the fantasy of her books and...

0.0 (0)
Dark Divide
Secrets have a way of coming out. Divided by...

0.0 (0)
Orphaned (Ape Quartet #4)
Before humans, and before human history, there were the...

0.0 (0)
Heirs of the Round Table: Reclaiming Camelot
Imagine discovering that your ancestors were part of King Arthur's...

0.0 (0)
Wicked Nix
A visually stunning, middle-grade classic in the making about Wicked...

0.0 (0)
Journey of the Pale Bear
A runaway boy befriends a polar bear that’s being transported...

0.0 (0)
Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)
When Wyatt gets framed for a friend’s crime, he thinks...

0.0 (0)
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Next stop...The Magic School Bus heads to the Galapagos to...

0.0 (0)
Robot Farm (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Wanda proudly hosts this year's school harvest feast, but she...

0.0 (0)
Aphra's Child
Tula is a chimera in a world where chimera are...

0.0 (0)
One week on an Alaskan cruise, three teens, and an...

0.0 (0)
The Homework Strike
Gregory K. has too much homework. ...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Hearts Unbroken

"WHAT I LOVED: When Louise’s boyfriend Cam first disparages Native people in front of her–specifically his brother’s Kickapoo spouse–he isn’t..."
The Princesses of Iowa

"I really enjoyed this book!"
The Turnaway Girls

"Delphernia lives in a cloister of turnaway girls on the island of Blightsend, and she's unable to do the one..."
Poe: Stories and Poems

"The perfect gift for any Poe fan, Gareth Hinds breathes life—and gory death—into some of the greatest works of Edgar..."
The Button War: A Tale of The Great War

"Twelve-year-old Patryk lives in a small Polish town in 1914. He hangs with his group of friends which includes Jurek...."
The Red Ribbon

"Fourteen-year-old Ella is striped down and treated as subhuman by the Nazis and tries to survive. When she hears of..."
Norse Myths: Tales of Odin, Thor and Loki

"From the stories to the wonderfully creepy illustrations, Norse Myths offers a comprehensive look at all the tales of the..."
Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge

"At first I was thinking, no not another Beauty and the Beast reimagining. But Jensen’s interpretation of the classic beloved..."
Egyptology: The Coloring Book

"A beautiful companion to the original book, Egyptology: Search for the Tomb of Osiris. In 1926, Miss Emily Sands led..."
One Death, Nine Stories

"Review Found: literarychaos.com To be frank, this anthology was not for me. I was so excited by the..."
The Stars at Oktober Bend

"Alice Nightingale is broken. It's been three years since the horrific act that left her under the "spell of twelveness"--a..."
My Name is Victoria

"Intriguing 'what if' look into what might have happened if Sir John Conway's daughter wasn't an enemy, but dear friend..."
Just Friends

"JUST FRIENDS by Dyan Sheldon is a sweet YA romantic comedy featuring Josh Shine, a music-loving, ponytailed, chess-playing, short high..."
The Riddle (Pellinor #2)

"THE RIDDLE by Alison Croggon is the second in the author's Pellinor series, and it picks up right where book..."
Echo After Echo

"WHAT I LOVED: Something tells me more than a few actresses could read this book and say afterwards "yep, some..."
Slider

"David is interested in competitive eating-- he can eat a pizza pretty quickly, and he's watched a lot of competitions..."
The Naming (Pellinor #1)

"Alison Croggon’s THE NAMING: BOOK ONE OF PELLINOR is a high fantasy tale that draws from and rivals some of..."
Trell

"This book lives up to all it claims to be. Gripping and thrilling, indeed it was. I loved..."
Landscape with Invisible Hand

"Aliens have invaded Earth and promise to share their technology. Of course most people are very excited about the idea..."
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1)

"This book was so unusual and satisfying in so many ways. Then there was the one bit - if you've..."