Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Celestial Treat

Reader reviewed by Julie M. Prince

It was a pleasure to receive a copy of another book by Elizabeth C. Bunce. Given the unique premise and tight writing of her award-winning debut novel, A Curse Dark as Gold, my expectations were high, and Bunce did not disappoint.

StarCrossed is a very different animal from Curse, so I think that in addition to Bunce fans looking for more of her great characters and intriguing plot lines, a new and diverse audience will be pleasantly surprised to find themselves transported to a different world. One with seven moons. One in which magic exists, but is forbidden.

And smack in the middle of this celestial world is Digger--aka Celyn Contrare--a lovable gutter-rat thief living on the city streets of Gerse before being driven into the countryside under the guise of serving as a young noblewoman's maid.

Readers will be quick to appreciate this sharp, self-deprecating protagonist, and quicker to forgive her certain transgressions than she is to forgive herself.

Nimble of fingers and quick of wit, Digger downplays her own important role the uprising she stumbles upon--a movement to bring acceptance of all people into a kingdom of rigidity, disapproval, and cruelty.

All in all, it's obvious why Bunce's editors signed on for a sequel--Liar's Moon. Readers will be eager to follow the master storyteller for the long-haul, into war and beyond.

Off to turn another page....

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)
She is from the past, locked inside a world...

4.6 (3)
Grenade
It's 1945, and the world is in the grip...

0.0 (0)
The Lines We Cross
Michael likes to hang out with his friends and...

0.0 (0)
Uncharted
Seventeen-year-old Annabeth prefers the fantasy of her books and...

0.0 (0)
Dark Divide
Secrets have a way of coming out. Divided by...

0.0 (0)
Orphaned (Ape Quartet #4)
Before humans, and before human history, there were the...

0.0 (0)
Heirs of the Round Table: Reclaiming Camelot
Imagine discovering that your ancestors were part of King Arthur's...

0.0 (0)
Wicked Nix
A visually stunning, middle-grade classic in the making about Wicked...

0.0 (0)
Journey of the Pale Bear
A runaway boy befriends a polar bear that’s being transported...

0.0 (0)
Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)
When Wyatt gets framed for a friend’s crime, he thinks...

0.0 (0)
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Next stop...The Magic School Bus heads to the Galapagos to...

0.0 (0)
Robot Farm (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Wanda proudly hosts this year's school harvest feast, but she...

0.0 (0)
Aphra's Child
Tula is a chimera in a world where chimera are...

0.0 (0)
One week on an Alaskan cruise, three teens, and an...

0.0 (0)
The Homework Strike
Gregory K. has too much homework. ...

0.0 (0)
Knock Knock
Knock Knock is a fresh and innovative method of humorous...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

A Mortal Song

"Sora has been raised by the kami in Mt. Fuji and enjoys her life with her parents and her best..."
Legacy of Light (Legends of the Tri-Gard Book 2)

"LEGACY OF LIGHT picks right up where the first one left off. They're all mourning Davi's death and are still..."
Ignited (Dance of the Elements, #1)

"The Republic is located in the desert and is ruled by the Thirteen. When Jura discovers a blood chain on..."
Fracture

"'Fracture' by Melanie Hooyenga was a fantastic sequel to 'Flicker,' the first in the book series. Biz's ability to flicker..."
ALEX HUNT and the Chase for Rhapta

"When Alex's dad goes missing, she is the only one who can find him because she's also the only one..."
The Bird Queen's Book

"he Bird Queen's book is a smart, moving, and immaculately presented tale of a kid coming to terms with loss..."
Joshua and the Magical Forest

"Reviewed for YA Books Central An enchanting fantasy. The story: Joshua thinks his father is dead. He's been..."
The "Wonderful" Wizard of Futhermucking Oz

"Although highly irreverent throughout, what I loved most about Arabella is that she doesn't just go along with the social..."
The Secrets of Islayne

"The Secrets of Islayne by Kari Lynn West 4 out of 5 stars Summary Islayne is a..."
Venus Shining: Trinity Forest Book 3

N/A
""Jennifer Alsever has raised the bar, once again and VENUS SHINING is a shining testament to her imagination and creative..."
Prophecy of Darkness (Legends of the Tri-Gard) (Volume 1)

"When Trystan is named Toha, he becomes the protector of the realm instead of the ordinary prince. Because of this..."
The Key of F

"The Key of F- Freedom Fight Trilogy#1 by Jennifer Haskin (Goodreads Author) 27143663 Steph Warren's review Nov 18, 2017..."
Heart of Mist

"Heart of Mist (The Oremere Chronicales #1) by Heather Scheuerer The Story: Bleak, the town drunk, is hiding a..."
Ember Burning: Trinity Forest Book 1

"WOW. Just wow. I'll be honest ... I dove into this book after skimming the synopsis. But I..."
Issaura's Claws

"Issaura’s Claws is the first of a four-book series entitled the Incarn Saga. This young adult war fantasy takes place..."
Ember Burning: Trinity Forest Book 1

"The story: Haunted by the tragic death of her parents, seventeen-year-old Ember Trouve has withdrawn from her life. She..."
Royal Institute of Magic

"This book focusses on Ben Greenwood and his search for answers about his parents' disappearance. Two years ago Ben came..."
The Kingmaker

"One of the best premises I have come across in the fantasy world. The story: Everleigh is..."
The Dream Traveler: The Cardonian Chronicles Book One

"I went into this novel not knowing what to expect at all. Thankfully, I was happily surprised! The Dream Traveler..."
OverRuled (The OverRuled Series, book 1)

"A fun and intriguing fantasy that any reader can really sink their teeth into. The story: Nova and..."