Review Detail

Kids Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot/Characters/Writing Style 

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable) 

A Feisty 12 Year Old

I must say that Wild Things by Clay Carmichael was an unexpected reading pleasure.  It is the story of Zoe who is forced to move to Sugar Hill, North Carolina to live with an uncle she has never met, Uncle Henry, after her mother dies.  Zoe has been pretty much on her own from a young age as her mother ran through a bunch of boyfriends, hospital stays and the ups and downs of drugs.  She is self sufficient and does not need an adult, who she undoubtedly cannot trust, to oversee her life.

Zoe has an animal sense about her and senses that a cat is living around Uncle Henrys house&a cat that nobody noticed before.  She bets Uncle Henry $50 that the cat exists&and wins the bet.  She spends some time trying to entice the cat (aptly named Cmere) to trust her.  Uncle Henry is a cardiologist turned sculptor and spends much of his time in his studio adjoining the house.  This leaves plenty of time for Zoe to explore.  As she wanders the woods near Uncle Henrys house, she spies a white doe and tries following it, to avail.  It is too fast for her.  She stumbles on an old cabin, which she tries to clean up and make her own.

The start of school is no joyous event.  Although she wasnt formally schooled, Zoe is a great reader, from which she has absorbed a great deal of knowledge.  So school itself and mingling with children her own age, which she had not done, is stressful and at times boring.  Especially when Hargrove Peters keeps staring at her in class.

Wild Things is a coming of age story about Zoe (and Cmere) learning to trust and coming to love the adults around her.  It is beautifully written.  It is populated by wonderful characters including Uncle Henry, both rough and tender, his assistant Fred and Freds wife Bessie, sources of company, wisdom and love, and Maud who turns out to be Zoes grandmother and an avid friend of animals.  What caught me at the start was the first chapter was told by Cmere who reminisces about the various previous occupants of the house.  Interspersed with Zoes story are Cmeres musing, thoughts and feelings.  Wild Things has everything a good book needs&action, great characters, happiness, sadness and wonderful writing.  Treat yourself to Wild Things by Clay Carmichael.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Just For Clicks
Mommy blogs are great . . . unless the blog...

0.0 (0)
i am Elephant, i am Butterfly
When sixteen-year-old Simone Wheeler is accepted into the elite Camp...

0.0 (0)
Mike
MEET FLOYD. He's a tennis star. Possibly good enough to...

0.0 (0)
Unconventional Warfare (Special Forces, Book 1)
Discover the secret missions behind America's greatest conflicts.Danny Manion has...

0.0 (0)
Again, But Better
Shane has been doing college all wrong. Pre-med, stellar grades,...

0.0 (0)
The Summer of '69
With his girlfriend, Robin, away in Canada,...

0.0 (0)
Stick Cat: Two Cats and a Baby (#4)
Now that their owners are married, Stick Cat and his...

0.0 (0)
Waking Nightmare (Hello Neighbor #2)
It's been four months since Nicky Roth has seen his...

0.0 (0)
The Once and Future Geek (The Camelot Code #1)
When young Arthur of Camelot accidentally time-travels to the 21st...

0.0 (0)
Lumberjanes: The Good Egg (Lumberjanes #3)
Welcome to Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet’s Camp for...

0.0 (0)
A Good Kind of Trouble
Twelve-year-old Shayla is allergic to trouble. All she wants to...

0.0 (0)
It Wasn't Me
THE BREAKFAST CLUB meets middle school with...

0.0 (0)
Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Start a Club by Accident (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat #2)
Sassy and Waldo love school! Everything smells like meat and...

0.0 (0)
Bird and Squirrel All Tangled Up
When Red has to go spend the night helping Grandmole,...

0.0 (0)
How to Defeat a Wizard (Marty Pants #3)
Marty Pants returns to face his archenemy Simon, the so-called...

0.0 (0)
Sweeping Up the Heart
Amelia Albright dreams about going to Florida for spring break...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Go Ask Alice

N/A
"Well this book is actually more for younger teens I read it when I was 13. And I liked it..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Erin Hughes   Go Ask Alice is a book like no other. No one knows who wrote..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Jillian R Summary: Go Ask Alice is about a teenage girl, suffering from drug addiction. With her..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Ruthie This is such a haunting book because it was a girls actual diary. This isn't someÂ..."
Annie's Baby: The Diary of Anonymous, A Pregnant Teenager

"Reader reviewed by Ruthie I really love these books. Told from true accounts of teenagers they're real and heart-breaking. Annie..."

"Reader reviewed by f00lishchick i think this was a sad book because of the difficulties that annie goes through. what..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Sierra Goodman This was a great book about addictions. It actually helped me through some of my..."
It Happened to Nancy

"Reader reviewed by Lorrissa Simon This book is amazing, i was really into it, and the girl is my age!..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Taylor Freeman This book is a very quick read. It is about a girl who goes on..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Ash   This book was touching and heart wrenching. Have you ever been in the center..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by moonymaster Warning: SPOILERS ALERT  GOD.. I REALLY HATED THIS BOOK. When I first had finished it I..."

"Reader reviewed by Nikki This book was amazing. I thought it was a great read for anyone in the teen..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Chay i have read this book many, many times before. And i love it each time i..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Alex11181992 Follow alice on a journey through pain and addictionAs a fellow teenager i could relate to..."

"Reader reviewed by Jenna I love this book! It has a very powerful meaning to it. People should read this..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Chantel This book is quite literally a life changing book, it gives you the inside look at..."

"Reader reviewed by Beans I just got this book about 2 days ago. I am about half way threw it..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by Sara E. I got this book thinking is was non-fiction and a real diary of some girl..."
It Happened to Nancy

"Reader reviewed by elisabeth I read this book shortly after it was published in 1994. It has stayed with..."
Go Ask Alice

"Reader reviewed by undercover reader It starts with a dangerous party game where she receives a LSD soft drink. From..."