Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Move Over, Rumpelstiltskin!

Reader reviewed by Julie M. Prince

Charlotte Miller doesnt believe in curses. Accidents happen and the fact that they happen frequently around her familys woolen mill means nothing. Its all just coincidence.

Now that her father is gone, Charlotte and her sister, Rosie, are all thats left of the Miller line. Just the two of them and the old mill. Charlotte means to keep it up and running no matter how many potential buyers show up to explain that a mere girl cannot possibly run a business. She'll show them.

If only her father hadnt bequeathed a legacy of debt! Left with little choice, Charlotte takes on a debt of her own by agreeing to help from a strange man who promises to make gold from straw. This saves her precious family mill and in turn the entire village of Shearing that relies upon it&and her&but what will happen when the next crisis comes along? That Miller bad luck is beginning to seem all too real.

In a debut novel that kept me up at night and had its characters dancing their way through my dreams, Elizabeth C. Bunce has managed to spin a tale worthy of any folklorists admiration.

The millers daughter tells her side of a Rumpelstiltskin-like tale. Beautiful language, a vivid late 1700s setting, and imaginative, but realistic characters bring every scene to life.

This book is highly recommended, especially for fans of Libba Bray books, movies like EVER AFTER, and other fairy tale retellings and stories that put a strong female character squarely in control of her own destiny.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Mend A Story of Divorce
Sophia, the fourteen-year-old author and protagonist, tells the heart-wrenching story...

0.0 (0)
Dungeons & Dragons: Into the Jungle: An Endless Quest Book
Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where you...

0.0 (0)
Dungeons & Dragons: Big Trouble: An Endless Quest Book
Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where you...

0.0 (0)
Clink A Story of Cyberbullying
Click is the heroic story of a young girl who...

0.0 (0)
Stay Sweet
Summer in Sand Lake isn’t complete without a trip to...

0.0 (0)
On Blood Road (A Vietnam War Novel)
The last place on earth Taylor Sorenson wants to be...

0.0 (0)
Courageous
Aiden is the son of a fisherman on the south...

0.0 (0)
A Thousand Sisters: The Heroic Airwomen of the Soviet Union in World War II
In the early years of World War II, Josef Stalin...

0.0 (0)
The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler
Adolf Hitler’s Nazi party is gaining strength and becoming more...

0.0 (0)
New Kid
Seventh grader Jordan Banks loves nothing more than drawing cartoons...

0.0 (0)
Watch Hollow
Deep within the enchanted woods in the town of Watch...

0.0 (0)
Giant Days
Based on the hit graphic-novel series from BOOM! Studios, the...

0.0 (0)
The Unteachables
The Unteachables are a notorious class of misfits, delinquents, and...

0.0 (0)
Tales from the Inner City
Tales from the Inner City is a collection of incredibly...

0.0 (0)
Gamer Army
After Rogan Webber levels up yet again on his favorite...

0.0 (0)
Eventown
The world tilted for Elodee this year, and now it’s...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Bravelands #3: Blood and Bone

"Thorn, a baboon, Sky, an elephant, and Fearless, a lion, have been friends since childhood. Due to the evil influence..."
Parasite Life

"Jane is stuck in a creepy old house with her invalid mother. She has no idea why her mother is..."
Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms)

""Ever the Hunted" is an incredible YA fantasy with a touch of romance. The story begins with Britta, starving and..."
The Star-Touched Queen

"I enjoyed this rich world. I felt like I was there seeing the lure with my own eyes. I loved..."
The Iron Flower (The Black Witch Chronicles Book 2)

"*I was lucky enough for NetGalley and Harlequin Teen to approve me for this ARC in exchange for an honest..."
Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms)

"Feedback I adored this book so much! There were so many parts of this book that I just loved...."
Ever the Brave (Clash of Kingdoms book 2)

"Feedback I was so excited to continue this series. There was so much that happened in book one which..."
Once A King (Clash of Kingdoms)

"\ Feedback If you’ve read my other reviews on the series thus far then you know how much I love..."
The Tesla Legacy

"When Lucy discovers a hidden door in the Tesla Suite, she's surprised to discover an egg. Curiosity gets the better..."
Daughter of the Burning City

"Daughter of the Burning City was nothing like what I was expecting. For some strange reason I thought it would..."
The Iron Flower (The Black Witch Chronicles Book 2)

"Feedback Welcome to the resistance. What a sequel! This book was just as dense as the first book but..."
Dungeons & Dragons: Escape the Underdark: An Endless Quest Book

"Told in second-person present-tense, this fantasy is styled after the beloved choose-your-own-adventure books of yore. It also features a vast..."
Dungeons & Dragons: To Catch a Thief: An Endless Quest Book

"Nostalgic parents rejoice! Told in second-person present-tense, this fantasy is styled after the beloved choose-your-own-adventure books of yore...."
Chainbreaker (Timekeeper Book 2)

"Feedback What a change from book one! While I enjoyed Timekeeper, it took me a while to truly engage..."
The Reader

""The Reader" is an intriguing YA fantasy that follows a girl named Sefia. Her parents hid her in a secret..."
Umbertouched

"UMBERTOUCHED is the end to the Rosemarked Duology and I'm blown away by it. When Zivah and Dineas are..."
Rosemarked

"Zivah is a healer who wants to help people, but when she gets rosemarked (infected by the rose plague), she..."
The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

""The Raven King" is a glorious end to a magnificent series. This series has quickly become one of my all..."
The Assassination of Brangwain Spurge

"Brangwain Spurge is an elfin historian on a mission: he's tasked with delivering a gift to the king of the..."
City of Dust

"City of Dust is the follow up to Book of Fire which for me was the perfect blend of history,..."