Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Move Over, Rumpelstiltskin!

Reader reviewed by Julie M. Prince

Charlotte Miller doesnt believe in curses. Accidents happen and the fact that they happen frequently around her familys woolen mill means nothing. Its all just coincidence.

Now that her father is gone, Charlotte and her sister, Rosie, are all thats left of the Miller line. Just the two of them and the old mill. Charlotte means to keep it up and running no matter how many potential buyers show up to explain that a mere girl cannot possibly run a business. She'll show them.

If only her father hadnt bequeathed a legacy of debt! Left with little choice, Charlotte takes on a debt of her own by agreeing to help from a strange man who promises to make gold from straw. This saves her precious family mill and in turn the entire village of Shearing that relies upon it&and her&but what will happen when the next crisis comes along? That Miller bad luck is beginning to seem all too real.

In a debut novel that kept me up at night and had its characters dancing their way through my dreams, Elizabeth C. Bunce has managed to spin a tale worthy of any folklorists admiration.

The millers daughter tells her side of a Rumpelstiltskin-like tale. Beautiful language, a vivid late 1700s setting, and imaginative, but realistic characters bring every scene to life.

This book is highly recommended, especially for fans of Libba Bray books, movies like EVER AFTER, and other fairy tale retellings and stories that put a strong female character squarely in control of her own destiny.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

And She Was
Dara’s lived a sheltered life with her single mom, Mellie....

0.0 (0)
Lifeline
Popular high school senior Eli Ross has the perfect...

0.0 (0)
Brightly Burning
Stella Ainsley leaves poverty behind when she quits her...

0.0 (0)
A Pain Less Ordinary
Becca's life is anything but ordinary. At fifteen, she's...

0.0 (0)
Fatal Throne: The Wives of Henry VIII Tell All
The tragic lives of Henry VIII and his six...

0.0 (0)
Junction 2020 Book 1: The Portal
New Year's Eve, 2019. Mari Stratton attends a New...

0.0 (0)
Summer Constellations
Julia Ducharme is ready for a fresh start. Her...

0.0 (0)
Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race
Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden were...

0.0 (0)
Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World
"Well-behaved women seldom make history." —Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Pulitzer Prize-winning...

0.0 (0)
Begin a fantastic journey with our hero, the Warrior from...

0.0 (0)
Fairy Mom and Me
From the bestselling author of the Shopaholic series and the...

0.0 (0)
Picture Us in the Light
Danny Cheng has always known his parents have secrets. But...

0.0 (0)
Time Tracers
Twelve-year-old Taj Carter is on a high-stakes mission to track...

0.0 (0)
Screenshot
Skye's social media game is always on point. Until her...

0.0 (0)
Better Together (Heartwood Hotel, #3)
Spring has come to Fernwood Forest, and the Heartwood Hotel...

0.0 (0)
Sky in the Deep
A 2018 Most Anticipated Young Adult book that is...

5.0 (2)

Latest Member Reviews

The Selection

" The Selection by Kiera Cass is unlike any book I’ve ever read. Reminiscent of The Bachelor in setup, but..."
Kat and Meg Conquer the World

"WHAT I LOVED: The course of friendship, like love, doesn’t run smoothly. Epcot at Disney World nearly broke up my..."
The Art of Feeling

"WHAT I LOVED: Our narrator Sam is in a pretty terrible place. Her brother is addicted to her pain pills,..."
You Don't Know Me But I Know You

"WHAT I LOVED: This #ownvoices slice of life is gorgeously written and comes with a well-written, diverse cast of characters;..."
Here so Far Away

"This is a difficult review to write. Here so Far Away is one of those books that leaves you feeling..."
The Jewel (The Lone City #1)

"Original Review: http://www.literarychaos.com/ This book is one of those dystopia-esque novels that I had a really hard time getting..."
The Tombs

"THE TOMBS by Deborah Schaumberg is a young adult novel that blends the historical fiction and fantasy genres. Set in..."
The Tombs

"Schaumberg’s debut melds history and fantasy to create an absorbing world just beyond the known."
They Both Die at the End

"Adam Silvera is 3/3 at making me fall apart while reading his books. This one was very unique, each of..."
The Queen's Rising

"It really didn’t take long for me to fall in love with this book. I really enjoyed the school scenes..."
The Queen's Rising

N/A
"In the kingdom of Maevana, a king sits on the throne when it should be a queen and it can't..."
Here, There, Everywhere

"'Here, There, Everywhere' by Julia Durango and Tyler Terrones is a creative and enjoyable read about a spectrum of ideas,..."
Together at Midnight

"A cute and bittersweet story of young love at the wrong time. The story: Kendall has just returned..."
Hunted

"What I love most about this book is the setting. Medieval Russia, like hell yeah sign me up! I love..."
Our Broken Pieces

"As Everly learns the hard way, high school relationships don't always survive high school. When she catches her boyfriend cheating..."
They Both Die at the End

"Adam Silvera makes me cry. Holy crap. I hardly ever cry when reading, but I’ve cried twice this..."
Among the Red Stars

"Valka has trained as a pilot, and idolizes some of the Russian women who have made the news for the..."
How to Disappear

"I am so absolutely in love with Sharon Huss Roat. Her books are funny, relatable, and so easily devoured. I..."
The Rest of Us Just Live Here

"I have to admit, it took me a while to get into this one. The characters seemed to me to..."
The Secret History Of Us

"The story kicks of with Liv waking up in the hospital while people around her are walkin on egg shells...."