Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A journey that takes 2 girls everywhere...and nowhere

Now heres a different kind of story. Gilly and Sam are two girls going nowhere fast, until one night they meet this really freaky guy who uses a birds entrails to tell them&well, not exactly their fortunes&but what they each want more than anything.

He tells Gilly, in particular, that the Witches Carnival will be traveling nearby in Atlanta and that, if they hurry and drop everything, they can catch them. At first, the girls dont believe him. But, for one reason or another, they go. And what they find will change their lives forever.

Their journey takes them on a seedy but exciting tour of places they never dreamed theyd go, including England (which is hard to get to without a passport&one of the problems they have to solve in order to catch up with the Witches Carnival). While there are moments of triumph, there are also moments of great despair and tragedy. This isnt an *easy* story, but it is a good one. The girls find their dreams&and their nightmares& and they ultimately learn that what you thought you wished for isnt necessarily what you need.

Gilly and Sam are not easy characters to love. They have flaws, lots of them. They also have courage and guts and big dreams. They dip into a bit of every taboo topic in this book: sex, drugs, criminal activity&the list goes on. While this is definitely a fantasy, theres also a heavy dose of gritty realism in there too.

Recommended for older YA readers, aged at least 14 (though Im sure many parents would rather see this as 16 and up, given the graphic nature of much of the novel). This is also a very intense read, so I wouldnt recommend it for anyone looking for anything light.

Ultimately, I really liked this one. It's unique and it really stays with you. I actually read this one a while back and I'm just now getting the review typed up. But even with that time gap, I found I didn't need to refer back to the book much for details. These girls and their story stay with you.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

Latest Book Listings Added

Grenade
It's 1945, and the world is in the grip of...

0.0 (0)
The Attack of the Plants: A Branches Book (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Next stop...The Magic School Bus heads to the Galapagos to...

0.0 (0)
Robot Farm (The Magic School Bus Rides Again)
Wanda proudly hosts this year's school harvest feast, but she...

0.0 (0)
One week on an Alaskan cruise, three teens, and an...

0.0 (0)
The Homework Strike
Gregory K. has too much homework. ...

0.0 (0)
Knock Knock
Knock Knock is a fresh and innovative method of humorous...

0.0 (0)
Thisstoryisalie.jpg
A YA thriller described as The Curious Incident of the...

0.0 (0)
You Are The Everything
Can you want something—or someone—so badly that it changes your...

0.0 (0)
Seeing Red (Whatever After #12)
I really want the magic mirror in...

0.0 (0)
Girl At The Grave
In Girl at the Grave, debut author Teri Bailey Black...

0.0 (0)
The Golden Boy
Meg has it made. She has money to spare,...

0.0 (0)
Sadie
A missing girl on a journey of revenge and...

0.0 (0)
Dark Fates
Would you risk it all for love? A high-ranking...

0.0 (0)
Hearts Unbroken
New York Times best-selling author Cynthia Leitich Smith turns...

0.0 (0)
Someday
Every day a new body. Every day a new...

0.0 (0)
What If It's Us
Arthur is only in New York for the summer,...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Give Me Some Truth

"Carson Mastick and Magpie "Maggi" Bokoni are two Native American high school students living on a reservation outside of Niagara..."
Life in Outer Space

"Life in Outer Space is one of the cutest and nerdiest books I’ve ever read. This contemporary quickly burrowed its..."
How You Ruined My Life

"Rodney's father left, so he and his mother struggle to get by. When his well-to-do aunt and uncle decide to..."
The Beauty That Remains

"The Beauty That Remains is a heartbreaking portrayal of loss, grief, and coping. It relates the stories of Autumn, Logan,..."
Three Day Summer

"August 15-18 is the anniversary of Woodstock music festival! and i relived that time by reading this book! i make..."
Solo

"Told entirely in verse, Solo is a story full of love, loss, addiction and music. Like Kwame Alexander's previous books,..."
RoseBlood

"Why is there so much hate for this book?! I don't understand! My mind can't compute why everyone is not..."
RoseBlood

"I am a huge fan of Phantom of the Opera so a retelling had me really excited. I was really..."
RoseBlood

"Ever since I saw the cover of RoseBlood by A.G. Howard and read its description, I knew I had to..."

"June isn't happy that her mother has chosen to move out into the country, especially since she has arranged for..."
Finding Abbey Road (Exile #3)

"This was the quickest read of all three books in the series. It also ended up being my least favourite..."
Until Beth

"This one had me guessing! At first I thought it was going to be a contemporary story and then some..."
Finding Abbey Road (Exile #3)

"What I Loved: FINDING ABBEY ROAD by Kevin Emerson is a quick but immersive read. The mystery of finding..."
The Haters

"The critically acclaimed author of ME, EARL, AND THE DYING GIRL brings us another hilarious, heartfelt contemporary story about 3..."
For the Record

"For the Record is one of my top ten books of 2015, it’s such an incredibly written contemporary novel. ..."
Encore to an Empty Room (Exile #2)

"The sequel to Exile finds Dangerheart and Summer struggling with the band’s sudden rise to fame while still trying to..."
The Violinist of Venice: A Story of Vivaldi

"The movie, SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE, is what I'm instantly reminded of thanks to this book. (The movie has a rating..."
For the Record

"What I Liked: Books about famous rock bands or teen heartthrobs can often feel unrealistic and too over-the-top. FOR THE..."
Until Beth

"As a total super heroes/villians fan, I loved Until Beth! It was such a fun ride! I had no idea..."
Encore to an Empty Room (Exile #2)

"The sequel to Exile, Encore to an Empty Room picks up with the heart of the novel, Summer and her..."