Welcome to our new monthly special feature post, Bookstagrammer Of The Month!
Each month we will be interviewing a different Bookstagrammer (Book lover/photographer on Instagram) who will share with us a bit of their experience about the Bookstagram community!
Introducing Dani of @dmcireads, YABC's Bookstagrammer of the Month!!
Hi! My name is Dani, a book lover, hoader and bookstagramer. I mostly read YA books especially focuses on contemporary and fantasy. Sometimes, when I read my books, I just cuddle on my bed, or drink some tea or go to a coffee shops to chill. My favorite books are Six of Crows, ACOMAF, Warcross and Fangirl! I also play video games, do a lot of portrait photography with my sister and write for fun!
1. How long have you been part of the Bookstagram community?
I’ve been in this community for a year (turning two this coming June, you can’t say how fast days have come!) It’s been really a great experience to be part of something I always love what I do. I met new friends, new authors and love to get in touch with them.
2. Can you tell us a bit about your feed/style and how it has changed over time?
Way back on 2016, I was trying to be aesthetic since I was so inspired to see the other photos but turns out, it’s getting darker and more specifics on the details with outdoor vibes. Then before December 2017, I did more editing and make it brighter plus the indoors and outdoors photos and making them like autumn-y-slash-spring-y feeling vibes with coming back in darkside vibe. Then I changed it again a week before January, I loved it even more with rustic vibes I made there and I got more on the details with the books and other bookish merchs. I do flatlays and anything! I just love my newest theme now ;)
3. What is the silliest thing you've ever done for the sake of a photo?
Silliest and embarrassing! Hahaha. I just can’t forget it. When I lay down at the middle of the road inside our subdivision and raising my legs up high for #SockSunday tag. I swear the road is empty, no people at all. Then my sister stopped and hide the camera at her back and smiles. I looked at the direction she’s looking at, there’s a guy standing not that far from our home and he waves and smiles at us. I quickly sit and wave at him too. Haha.
4. When do you make time for taking photos? Do you usually plan ahead or take photos as you go (daily)?
I usually plan to take some photos ahead mostly. Since I’m working on weekdays and find no time taking photos daily. I take pictures every weekends and setting them at my room. Then sometimes, when I hit any coffee shops near to chill, I do bring some props and books to take some photos with it.
5. What type of camera do you use?
Before, I’m using iPhone 5s and Samsung, at the start of my bookstagram. It’s not that hard to edit photos there but sadly both phones are not my phone, it’s my mom’s. So I borrowed it every weekends. Then, I bought my own iPhone 6s. The camera and the effects (before it updated) it’s really really good. That give me the bright colors back in 2017 photos and so easily editing it on VSCO and Snapseed. Then, my parents bought a Canon camera, then transferring to my i6s, where I edit. It’s still have a beautiful outcome!
6. What are some of your favorite props (besides books, of course ;) )?
Oh first, my favorite props are dried leaves and flowers. Absolute lovely in my photos. Like I said I love autumn-y and spring-y vibes of my photos so I mostly collect them and picked them anywhere in the house. Then secondly, bookmarks! Ohhh they’re so fab looking and I just realized before I haven’t done any bookmarks photos. I didn’t appreciate them until I used them as props! The candles, the wonderful colors of heir wax! Then lastly, on food and coffees! They’re so perfect for the rustic colors!
7. Which of your photos is your absolute favorite and why?
I mixed this up from how I start to be a bookstagramer up until now. They just inspired me so much. Seeing them makes me think that I grow, and improved what I have now. I didn’t realized that how much it becomes livelier each time I take some photos. Especially with the flowers and to the coffee shops I’m going to and how I set it up, I realized that this is who I am and every time I took photos, I show the real me. I didn’t even think that I will be this effort to make everything beautiful and make it place. ;)
8. What is the thing you love most about Bookstagramming?
Meeting new bookish friends are first! I didn’t think that this is a big community of bookworms like me! And I got excited each day knowing new friends to other countries. I haven’t gone travelling a lot out of the country but seeing their posts makes me feel I’m there! Then doing the set ups and photography stuffs that I can’t believe that I can do such things. Seeing the creativity of other people that inspired me a lot of doing this and knowing more books and new authors are also I love to this community!
9. What are a few of your favorite Bookstagram accounts?
- Nikki of @nikkiinwanderland – Her style of photography is really good and inspiring. I’m saw her once in a book fair here in our country but I didn’t have a guts to greet her, so I just like a stalker and giggling. Happy to see her tho!
- Colleen of @cfeecup – Colleen is a sweet and down to earth person. We mostly talk a lot whenever we are so not busy. Her photos got mw the rustic and white background vibes which I really love. She inspired me in some of the flatlays and her leg photos (sexy photos!! :D)
- Melissa and Isabel of @thereaderandthechef (YOU!!! <3) - Ahhh yas yas Melissa and her partner Isabel seriously inspired with the gorgeous backgrounds and props. I mean, honestly, it’s colorful and inspiring to see those and the CAAAAKES you set there, especially with the unicorn cake that you guys post is just really lovely!
- Katelyn of @thefearlessreader – she’s also sweet and really friendly. She even gave me a copy of Red Queen Collection Edition which is sooooo gorgeous. I loved her style in photography especially the fantasy vibes all over it. It’s just so awesome to know her and one of my favorite bookstagramers.
- Mariana of @bookisglee – Mari’s account just really lovely and gorgeous in every simple way. I loved her style in photography, flatlays, candles… everything. My favorite on her posts are the funko pops. It’s just sooo good.
- Milana of @acouplereads – I love her dark side theme photos! Even tho it’s so simple looking, her editing skills make it more gorgeous and alive in the darker way.
- Nicole of @fearyourex – She’s one of my favorite and she can be my gaming partner! Seriously, we talked more about gaming and cats! Seeing her posts with gaming related, inspired me a lot to do more of those stuffs plus her pets. It’s so good to see it her account!
10. Do you have any tips for new Bookstagram accounts that you wish you knew when you started?
Just be yourself and love what you do. That’s the thing about bookstagram, it will makes you feel who you really are. I didn’t realized how much I really love books until I found out this community and everyone was encouraging me to start it. I know you guys are experiencing less likes or followers, don’t feel down or feeling you want to give up, but make that as your inspiration. Continue to push and show what you’ve got, don’t discourage yourself but be confident. Sooner or later, you won’t realize that your account will be receiving a lot of likes and followers and how much you’ve grown. In this community we are one. Remember, we’re always here to help you out. Just reach out to us and we’ll always be there for you. ;)
Thank you again for stopping by YABC, Dani! We absolutely adore your account and we cannot wait to see more of your beautiful bookish photos on #bookstagram!