Today we're excited to chat with Rebekah Crane, author of The Upside Of Falling Down.
Read on for more about Rebekah and her book!
Meet Rebekah Crane!
Rebekah Crane is the author of The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland and other young-adult novels. She found a passion for this genre while studying secondary English education at Ohio University. She is a former high school English teacher, a yoga instructor, and the mother of two girls. After living and teaching in six different cities, Rebekah finally settled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains to write novels and work on screenplays. She now spends her days tucked behind a laptop at seventy-five hundred feet, where the altitude only enhances the writing experience.
Meet The Upside Of Falling Down!
For Clementine Haas, finding herself is more than a nice idea. Ever since she woke up in an Irish hospital with complete amnesia, self-discovery has become her mission.
They tell her she’s the lone survivor of a plane crash. They tell her she’s lucky to be alive. But she doesn’t feel lucky. She feels…lost.
With the relentless Irish press bearing down on her, and a father she may not even recognize on his way from America to take her home, Clementine assumes a new identity and enlists a blue-eyed Irish stranger, Kieran O’Connell, to help her escape her forgotten life…and start a new one.
Hiding out in the sleepy town of Waterville, Ireland, Clementine discovers there’s an upside to a life that’s fallen apart. But as her lies grow, so does her affection for Kieran, and the truth about her identity becomes harder and harder to reveal, forcing Clementine to decide: Can she leave her past behind for a new love she’ll never forget?
YABC: What gave you the inspiration to write this book?
The Upside of Falling Down was actually developed during a high school author visit in Denver. I did a collective brainstorming session with the students and up popped the idea. It was quite a magical experience. As for the setting, I lived in Southwestern Ireland for a time and have always wanted to write a book focused there.
YABC: Who is your favorite character in the book?
This is like picking a favorite child! I love each character for different reasons… but if I had to pick, I’d say Clive… or Siobhan… or Stephen… no, wait. Kieran. Yes, Kieran. Or… Clementine. Yes. No. Maybe. Never mind, I can’t pick. J
YABC: What scene in the book are you most proud of, and why?
I love the opening. For me, where and how to start a novel can be difficult, but for this particular story, Clementine’s voice just blossomed on the page. To examine what it would be like to wake up in an unknown place with amnesia was exciting, especially a place like Ireland. I hold a lot of affection for that country.
YABC: Which came first, the title or the novel?
The novel came first, as always for me. I have a hard time with titles. Thank goodness I have the best editor who is always helpful in that regard.
YABC: Thinking way back to the beginning, what’s the most important thing you've learned as a writer from then to now?
I am a planner. I love an outline. In the beginning, I would just sit and write. Not anymore. Notebooks are littered all over my house. I take notes and collect ideas for months before starting the writing process.
Also, an editor once told me to write 70% of the story and leave the other 30% to the reader, meaning don’t put everything on the page. Leave some things to the imagination. That way the reader has to join the journey.
YABC: What new release book are you looking most forward to in 2018?
I am a huge fan of the Ember in the Ashes series by Sabaa Tahir. I cannot wait for A Reaper at the Gates!
YABC: Which was the most difficult or emotional scene to narrate?
I find the emotional scenes easier to write. The scenes I find most difficult are when characters are withholding information (which happens a lot in this book). Being decisive as to what needs to be on the page and what must stay hidden is important, but the reader also needs to feel as though they aren’t getting the whole story. Having exact dialogue at these moments is crucial. I’ll fiddle with what characters say for hours.
YABC: Which part of the writing process do you enjoy more: Drafting or Revising?
Both are so different! Each has their difficulties. Revising can be monotonous and drafting can be frustrating. But I’d have to say I love drafting. Crafting a story, weaving its twists and turns (most days) is more exciting than frustrating. I adore getting to know a character and being surprised by what they do and say. Each has an individual voice in my head and when I find it, it’s magic.
The Upside Of Falling Down
Author: Rebekah Crane
Publishing Date: January 30th, 2018
Publisher: Skyscape Publishing
Five winners will each receive a copy of The Upside Of Falling Down (Rebekah Crane) ~ (US Only)
*Click the Rafflecopter link below to enter the giveaway*